Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,223

3 members and 2,220 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
    Thanks

Re: Scarlette - 2022 Colombian BCI

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    So, you're saying that you pull her out of the enclosure for exercise and enrichment because if you didn't she'd just sit there. In my limited experience as a keeper, that's hard for me to imagine. Both my ball python and my Children's python would take the opportunity to escape through an open door. Not always. Sometimes they'd stay put, but they'd both come out eventually. Maybe, you just need to be more patient.
    I mean, she would just sit there. For hours. Her enclosure door is open? She doesn't move from her hide. I have a carpet who will definitely come out of his enclosure if is opened, he is always on the move and willing to explore. Same goes with another one of my boas. But, I have never seen this from Scarl, if I only handled her when she was out in the open or at the front of her enclosure, I would have never handled her in the entire time i've had her (besides from when she was first settling into her qt tub, but I wasn't handling in the first week I got her).
    She's not hissing or striking, for that matter even tense when I am getting her from her enclosure or handling. She is calm when she's out, and seems to be comfortable in my presence.
    So unless you mean more patient by waiting for days with her enclosure door open (which isn't even possible because I'd need to supervise it) then I don't know what else I can do.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,793 Times in 11,827 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
    I mean, she would just sit there. For hours. Her enclosure door is open? She doesn't move from her hide. I have a carpet who will definitely come out of his enclosure if is opened, he is always on the move and willing to explore. Same goes with another one of my boas. But, I have never seen this from Scarl, if I only handled her when she was out in the open or at the front of her enclosure, I would have never handled her in the entire time i've had her (besides from when she was first settling into her qt tub, but I wasn't handling in the first week I got her).
    She's not hissing or striking, for that matter even tense when I am getting her from her enclosure or handling. She is calm when she's out, and seems to be comfortable in my presence.
    So unless you mean more patient by waiting for days with her enclosure door open (which isn't even possible because I'd need to supervise it) then I don't know what else I can do.

It might BE because she knows you're there, watching. Snakes fear being preyed on when out in the open- many hold their ground & rely on camouflage to stay hidden when anything is nearby that might see them. OR, it's also because they are 'ambush-predators'- waiting for prey to come within reach.

Now, just to be clear, I'm not suggesting you leave the cage open, go away & not watch- that's a great way to have your snake truly disappear. But not all snakes are good at voluntary exploration. If you want a more adventurous snake, get a bull snake (or gopher, or pine snake- all very similar)-this is because they actively pursue prey and they're also diurnal & not very shy. Ditto for racers, or garter snakes, or most rat snakes. It's not quite fair to compare your BCI with Homebody's Children's python- they have very different personalities.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-02-2023 at 03:17 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (12-02-2023),Homebody (12-02-2023)

Thanks

When I've left it open I was a few feet away, not just sitting there and peering in. She wasn't being like, super closely monitored but I still needed to ensure cats didn't get into the enclosure and she wasn't gone.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ailuros For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-02-2023)

Thanks

When I've left it open I was a few feet away, not just sitting there and peering in. She wasn't being like, super closely monitored but I still needed to ensure cats didn't get into the enclosure and she wasn't gone.
    That's what I mean- she's aware there is some large creature lurking in the room. Some snakes are wired this way, to sit still- they know instinctively they cannot "out-run" a predator. Rattlesnakes are the same way, fyi- I have lots of experience with them too- they hold their ground & wait for you to be gone- same thing. (And no, don't do this with loose cats- )

By the way, I've seen this behavior (sitting still when humans/predators are near) plenty of times in wild snakes. It goes like this: you spot a snake, it's not going anywhere, so you run to get your camera & when you get back moments later, it's vanished. It's what snakes do to survive.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-02-2023 at 07:22 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (12-02-2023)

Thanks

What else am I supposed to do? I can't just leave the room and wait for her to come out.
    We have housecats, they occasionally venture down to my room, and I just need to ensure they're not going into her enclosure if the door is open or causing her trouble.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,175 Posts

I suggest opening the enclosure and sitting nearby for whatever time you have available. After dinner, I open my snake's enclosure and sit nearby. Sometimes he comes out. Sometimes he doesn't. If he doesn't come out immediately, I turn on the t.v. or read a book watching the enclosure with one eye. If I have something to do that requires both my eyes, I close up and try again tomorrow. That's what I mean by being patient.

And I want to clear. I'm not criticizing you. I chose to use a choice-based handling approach with my snake because I think it's better, but I'm not so confident my approach is better that I would criticize yours. I'm just suggesting another approach for you to consider. I rooting for your success whatever you decide to do.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (12-03-2023)

Thanks

What else am I supposed to do? I can't just leave the room and wait for her to come out.
    We have housecats, they occasionally venture down to my room, and I just need to ensure they're not going into her enclosure if the door is open or causing her trouble.
    Personally I'd never allow a free-roaming snake with cats in the same house, even with plenty of vigilance, because distractions & mistakes can happen. Your boa is not suffering, & free choice exercise is not practiced by everyone that keeps snakes- actually, it's a minority. (unless you count all the accidental escapes, lol)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (12-03-2023),Homebody (12-02-2023),Malum Argenteum (12-02-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,492 Times in 2,686 Posts

I can relate to the both sides. Most of my snakes will come out quickly if the opportunities arise. Otoh I’ve left my scrub’s enclosure open for over an hour and he still wouldn’t come out.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (12-03-2023),Bogertophis (12-03-2023)

Thanks

That's why I need to be nearby, I need to be watching her. When she's out I am sure to supervise her closely. When she is out, its either out of reach of the cats or I'm actively handling her.
    I think choice based handling could be more dependent on snakes individual personalities, my carpet and other boa gladly come out to explore most times when I open their enclosures. I've tried doing the same with Scarlette but she just doesn't come out to explore.
    Homebody, your approach works fine for my other snakes, just not Scarlette. I do think it'd would be better to give them the choice of handling, but when it's at the point where they don't choose to move at all, I would still like to be able to socialize and build trust with the snake. When I go to get her out, I always just tap her head with the hook if shes peeking out her hide, and if she tenses or pulls back I often don't handle, but if she just continues to sit there I'll often get her out. This approach seems to work for her.
    I handle my snakes differently based on their personalities, all safely and calmly, but how I do is different between all of them. With my carpet and younger boa, I'm always sure to let them know I'm there as not to startle before further interaction. So while I agree with your approach on most levels, it just doesn't work well with Scarlette.

But, she is doing good!! I've managed to get humidity back up as I moved her water bowl to her warm side and started misting more. I got it up to the 60-70's when I do mist, which seems better for her. She is digesting her last meal well.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ailuros For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-03-2023),EL-Ziggy (12-03-2023),Homebody (12-03-2023)

Thanks
    Ailuros, I couldn't agree more with your post above. Treat all snakes as the individual personalities they are. Sometimes you can generalize according to species, but don't count on it.

I've been keeping snakes for many years- & it would have been quite boring if they all behaved the same way, so it's a good thing they didn't.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (12-03-2023),EL-Ziggy (12-03-2023)

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789