Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,903

1 members and 2,902 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Still not eating

So my male/female still won’t eat temps humidity are hundred percent fine after me worrying thinking they could have mites I added predatory mites into the enclosure so I went to the pet shop today and asked for male rats heated up the rat to 39c to make sure it was up to temp by the I offered it to my snake and they looked really interested then nothing once I removed the rat they were looking around and then laid as if waiting for food so I tried again heated up again and the same thing tounge flicking seemed interested no strike I’ve left it in the enclosure but from past times doing this they don’t eat it this weeks it’s coming up to a month since they ate it took them 3 weeks to poop after last meal the prey size is a little smaller than thickness of snakes body does anyone have any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Still not eaten

I've heard some people use hair dryers to heat up the rodent.
    The smell helps with the snakes appetite, Make sure you do it in the snake room.

I've never tried this out, Just heard It helped other people.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ruby For This Useful Post:

Bluebell_1990 (05-27-2023),Bogertophis (05-26-2023),Homebody (05-27-2023),Zincubus (05-27-2023)

Thanks

How old Is your BP? Sometimes adults go on fasts for no reason, I wouldn't worry unless they are losing lots of weight OR If they're a juvenile.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,909 Times in 840 Posts
    This is the one sold to you as a year and a half male?

Occasionally males will go on food strikes, but your issue may be the size of the enclosure maybe? I would try moving him from a big cage to a tub for a little but until you get the hang of him eating regularly then try introducing him to the larger cage at a later time. Ball pythons are shy ambush hunters so cages with a lot of space sometimes will stress them out until they get used to everything.
    If you don't want to try a smaller cage, I would try putting some crumpled newspaper or sphagnum moss into the hides so they feel more tight fitting. These guys really like to scrunch up in tiny places to feel safe. When they're comfortable, they'll eat.

Also try to keep from handling him as much as possible. You need to get him eating well for you before taking him out and possibly stressing him out more.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bluebell_1990 (05-27-2023),Bogertophis (05-27-2023),Homebody (05-27-2023),Ruby (05-27-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Still not eating

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebell_1990 View Post
    So my male/female still won’t eat temps humidity are hundred percent fine after me worrying thinking they could have mites I added predatory mites into the enclosure so I went to the pet shop today and asked for male rats heated up the rat to 39c to make sure it was up to temp by the I offered it to my snake and they looked really interested then nothing once I removed the rat they were looking around and then laid as if waiting for food so I tried again heated up again and the same thing tounge flicking seemed interested no strike I’ve left it in the enclosure but from past times doing this they don’t eat it this weeks it’s coming up to a month since they ate it took them 3 weeks to poop after last meal the prey size is a little smaller than thickness of snakes body does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi

As someone already mentioned it may just need a little help to get it feeding

I’ve sent you the details of the hairdryer method ..by PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (05-27-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    How old Is your BP? Sometimes adults go on fasts for no reason, I wouldn't worry unless they are losing lots of weight OR If they're a juvenile.
    I have done the hair dryer method thinking it would help but didn’t seem to make a difference unfortunately

Thanks

Decided to put the hairdryer method here as well for anyone reading in the future

::::

My method is to thaw the mouse/ rat in the same room - near the snake viv during the day , then feed in the evening- wait until it’s dark / dim light ...

I wait until the snake is well settled under a hide , open the glass door , using tongs give the mouse/rat a good blast with a hairdryer ( plugged in near the viv ) then immediately dangle the mouse in front of the hide entrance .

If there’s no strike simply reheat with the hairdryer and again dangle it instantly whilst it’s still warm ... in the odd case you may have to repeat the process 5 or 6 times but in my experience it rarely fails .. .

Follow the method closely and it works 90%+ of the time I’d say - the other 10% of the time I’d put down to the snakes being in shed mode and simply not interested in food .

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (05-27-2023),Bluebell_1990 (05-27-2023),Ruby (05-27-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    This is the one sold to you as a year and a half male?

Occasionally males will go on food strikes, but your issue may be the size of the enclosure maybe? I would try moving him from a big cage to a tub for a little but until you get the hang of him eating regularly then try introducing him to the larger cage at a later time. Ball pythons are shy ambush hunters so cages with a lot of space sometimes will stress them out until they get used to everything.
    If you don't want to try a smaller cage, I would try putting some crumpled newspaper or sphagnum moss into the hides so they feel more tight fitting. These guys really like to scrunch up in tiny places to feel safe. When they're comfortable, they'll eat.

Also try to keep from handling him as much as possible. You need to get him eating well for you before taking him out and possibly stressing him out more.
    Hi so they were sold as male 1 and half year old yeh now thinking possibly female as they grow I have him/her in a tub for now for that reason to get them on a regular feeding before moving them to bigger tank I’ve give them cave hides that arnt too small but tight fitting to make them feel safe I havnt properly handled them yet because they arnt on regular feeding I’ve let them come out and explore on their on accord once before but I had to pick up and redirect from wires that’s really the only handling I’ve done with them they arnt bothered at all about my hands being near them but like you said I don’t want to be handling properly just yet….he/she last shed just over 4 weeks ago so very near due they arnt in blue as of yet but hiding a lot recently normally rather active exploring on a night very curious wanting to be out today I added moss to humid hide incase it is shedding

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    How long have you had this snake? Ball pythons are on the shy end of the temperament scale and these snakes are not big fans of change. At over a year old, they may need several weeks or even a few months to decide they feel comfortable enough to eat after being introduced to a new home.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bluebell_1990 (05-28-2023),Bogertophis (05-28-2023),Zincubus (05-28-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    How long have you had this snake? Ball pythons are on the shy end of the temperament scale and these snakes are not big fans of change. At over a year old, they may need several weeks or even a few months to decide they feel comfortable enough to eat after being introduced to a new home.
    That’s a very good point

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bluebell_1990 (05-28-2023)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast