Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,151

0 members and 3,151 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Wheezing before shedding?

So my ball python is healthy but is due to shed any minute I noticed his eyes last night were a little cloudy when he popped out of his hide he’s been in his cold hide for the past two days (which seems to be his favourite spot) all temps and humidity are fine but today I noticed him wheezing I’ve read this can be normal with shedding but I’m worried as last time he shed I didn’t notice him doing this does anyone else have this?
    I dont want to whip him out of his enclosure in a panic and put him in quarantine if it’s not anything serious and stress him out :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    No one can tell you for certain, but it's most likely normal & will resolve with the shed- even if not, it might be some old shed bits left in his nostrils. -Did you know they shed the outer lining of their nostrils? You want to raise the humidity until he sheds, to make sure everything comes off alright. And after the shed, always check that the tail tip & eye caps shed completely too.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (05-18-2023)

Thanks
    If your snake's eyes are "a little cloudy" right now, then he's probably not yet ready to shed. Snakes "go clear" (they stop looking cloudy) right before they're ready to "shed any minute". That's because their body secretes moisture between the old & new skin to facilitate its removal. And that's why a little dehydration in a snake causes such a miserable shed- their body has no water to spare. (It's the moisture that makes the old skin appear to be clear.)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (05-18-2023)

Thanks

Re: Wheezing before shedding?

So I just got him well let him come out he had a little explore I put my hand out to see if he wanted to come onto me but he didn’t so I just let him explore for ten minutes he then went near the wires so I picked him up and redirected him the wheezing isn’t as bad as I thought he barely done it at all when out he eyes are just slightly glazed but the last time he shed and was in blue his eyes didn’t go really blue either his last shed was perfect full shed no issues at all the night of him shedding he was clicking and wheezing then the next day I found his shed so for now I’m just going to give him a couple of days and see I don’t want to overthink and panic and stress him out for no reason I’m a stress head at the best of times so I know I overthink a lot when it comes to both of them

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

I’ve heard tales of ‘wheezing’ around the shedding time and they were pieces of the old dry skin vibrating over the nostrils ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-18-2023)

Thanks

His shed was a complete shed I even double checked it today thinking it could be that (I checked his shed as I still have it) his temps are all fine I havnt heard anymore wheezing at all from him he’s not showing any other signs no open mouth or mucus he’s very head shy and as I’ve heard no more wheezing so fingers crossed it isn’t anything

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebell_1990 View Post
    His shed was a complete shed I even double checked it today thinking it could be that (I checked his shed as I still have it) his temps are all fine I havnt heard anymore wheezing at all from him he’s not showing any other signs no open mouth or mucus he’s very head shy and as I’ve heard no more wheezing so fingers crossed it isn’t anything

Sometimes snakes get a little water or debris in their nostrils that causes some minor noises when breathing also. If it doesn't persist, don't lose sleep over it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Bluebell_1990 (05-19-2023)

Thanks

Well for now I’m not as worried he’s still being himself when I’m doing temps checks and stuff peaky his head out of his hide checking what I’m doing so for now I’m not worried it’s the only time I’ve heard it apart from when he last shed the night he was actually shedding I heard it for now everything’s ok I’ll just keep and eye on the breathing