Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,141

2 members and 3,139 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

PVC & RHP: Reptile Basics vs. Animal Plastics & VE vs. Pro Heat

Hello guys!
    I'm looking at eventually upgrading to a pvc enclosure but would appreciate some input! Specifically 4' x 2' x 15"

For those that have experience- do you prefer the Animal Plastics pvc enclosures or the ones by Reptile Basics?

And for radiant heat panels- Pro Heat or Vivarium Electronics?

I know that AP has a *very* long turnaround time, but I hear good things about them. RB would be a little more expensive and have less customizability but you won't be waiting several months for your enclosure.

AP is willing to install your RHPs for you but 1. Only if you buy through Pro Heat and also 2. Installation doesn't seem difficult at all?

Just want to know what's going to be the best investment wise as whichever I go with, I will probably buy more of down the line.
    1.0 Banana Butter BP
    1.0 Black Otter Rex rabbit
    0.1 Pembroke Welsh Corgi

Thanks
    PVC enclosures can be an excellent upgrade, so I'm eager to see whatever you decide on!

If you have the space to spare, I would actually suggest going for a little more height, i.e. at least 4' x 2' x 18". All of my cages are actually 4' x 2' x 2'. Firstly, it will give you more vertical space to put in a branch, rod or shelf for your BP to enjoy climbing for enrichment and exercise. Secondly, for your own comfort, you'll probably appreciate the extra room when you have to reach into the far back of the cage to clean it. When I'm doing a deep-cleaning, I sometimes find myself practically half-climbing into the cage to scrub the rear corners, and even though I'm a fairly slim person, I would feel pretty cramped with the 15" height.

For deciding on enclosure brand, Animal Plastics of course has a well-established reputation, but Reptile Basics seems to be of reasonably reliable quality as well. Snake Discovery recently did a video tour of the Reptile Basics facility that gives you a behind-the-scenes look at part of their cage-building process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9D9osb5VdM

Alternatively, I will also throw in a recommendation for Focus Cubed Habitats. Their cages are definitely more expensive than Animal Plastics, but have a TON of customization options (including your choice of RHP installation) and are exceptional quality. All of my current cages are from Focus Cubed, and they were spectacular to work with. Here is their website: https://focuscubedhabitats.com/

This is the cage stack, plus matching base with thermostat recess and storage cupboards, that houses my BPs:

And this is the (even more customized) cage stack for my boas, including "header" and "footer" pieces to house their thermostats:

Lastly, regarding your question about RHPs - from everything that I've read, Pro Products are still the gold standard. With that said, I actually just have Vivarium Electronics RHPs in all my cages, since they were the default available option at the time I ordered, and they have been quite serviceable so far.
    Ball Pythons:
    2018 Cinnamon Enchi Ghost - Ignis ("Iggy")
    2018 Butter Mojave BEL - Ravus ("Rae")
    2022 Albino Super Lesser - Cyrus ("Cy")

Boa Imperator:
    2018 Hypo Blood - Genesis ("Gen")
    2019 IMG Motley - Requiem ("Q")
    2019 Sharp Blizzard - Elysium ("Elys")

Iggy&Rae on Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/iggy_and_rae

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedRabbit For This Useful Post:

Homebody (05-15-2023),SarWildDog (05-16-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,164 Posts

Re: PVC & RHP: Reptile Basics vs. Animal Plastics & VE vs. Pro Heat

Quote Originally Posted by SarWildDog View Post
    Hello guys!
    I'm looking at eventually upgrading to a pvc enclosure but would appreciate some input! Specifically 4' x 2' x 15"

For those that have experience- do you prefer the Animal Plastics pvc enclosures or the ones by Reptile Basics?

And for radiant heat panels- Pro Heat or Vivarium Electronics?

I know that AP has a *very* long turnaround time, but I hear good things about them. RB would be a little more expensive and have less customizability but you won't be waiting several months for your enclosure.

AP is willing to install your RHPs for you but 1. Only if you buy through Pro Heat and also 2. Installation doesn't seem difficult at all?

Just want to know what's going to be the best investment wise as whichever I go with, I will probably buy more of down the line.
    I've been using an 80w Vivarium Electronics radiant heat panel for three years to heat my 3x2x2 plywood enclosure and it's been working great. If you want to install it yourself, installation is very easy. All you need is a power drill and a screwdriver.
    Last edited by Homebody; 05-15-2023 at 08:37 AM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

SarWildDog (05-16-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    What RedRabbit said regarding size if possible. Two of my snakes are in PVCs 15" tall, and I CANNOT WAIT until their upgrades come in with 24" of height to work with. It's so cramped as is and it's a struggle to provide much climbing opportunity for them.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-15-2023),SarWildDog (05-16-2023)

Thanks

Re: PVC & RHP: Reptile Basics vs. Animal Plastics & VE vs. Pro Heat

Thank you guys, I'll definitely look into the 24" height versions!
    1.0 Banana Butter BP
    1.0 Black Otter Rex rabbit
    0.1 Pembroke Welsh Corgi