Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,298

1 members and 2,297 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: RI: When To See The Vet

Quote Originally Posted by bns View Post
    I remember you mentioning how much time your critters spend in their pool...Greater than 50% if I remember correctly.

Get rid of the pool and address the reason(s) the pool is used.

RI and other issues related to bacteria are about husbandry.

Stress reduces immune function. (possible reason for excessive pool use outside of environmental)

Pools give bacteria more opportunity for introduction.
    i do recognize the potential for bacterial growth within the pool which is why, barring BMs, i tend to sterilize it every other day - i would also say that specific to the specimen in question he alternates throughout the day - typically using the pool at night now, which i assume is his preferred hunting method (which is something i have been noticing/studying with respect to Burms + Afrocks)

outside of the above issues which i have stated he has been given humidity levels within acceptable parameters, he doesn’t have mites, or any other issues i can personally think of which people typically associate with “soaking” (tho i have for the time removed his pool from the enclosure which he was not happy about) - additionally, all my snakes are in a locked room specifically dedicated to them so there is 0 foot traffic or commotion and i am the only person who has access to the room
    het for nothing but groovy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    From what you've described, it's not panic time at all. As Gio said- I've also heard of snakes that make some extra little noises that turn out to be nothing, & if you go to a vet, they're apt to feel under some pressure to "do something" (just like when parents take their kids to the pediatrician & want "something" for their illness) which means that they might (?) prescribe an antibiotic that's not really needed- & which has side effects.

Also, some vets will take a "best guess" for what antibiotic to prescribe, but if they do it the right way (lab work to get the right Rx) it's going to get expensive too- plus the pain of injections you'll put your snake through. If that was me, I'd make darn sure the snake NEEDS treatment before I'd see a vet. I'd wait for more definite symptoms-just watch & listen for now.

You'll know if & when your snake has a RI. And who's to say that a snake can't start to come down with an RI & then they manage to fight it off too- just like we can? Just wait a bit- if you see him struggling to breathe, that's different though.
    big thanks for this! and i was curious about if they could “tough it out” but wasn’t sure - still getting use to animals that aren’t so “it’s either life or death no inbetween” like arachnids

Thanks
    Thanked 19,797 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YungRasputin View Post
    big thanks for this! and i was curious about if they could “tough it out” but wasn’t sure - still getting use to animals that aren’t so “it’s either life or death no inbetween” like arachnids
    We don't quite know if the small "noises" some of us have heard were actually a minor RI at the beginning, or something else causing the symptom. (maybe a bit of inhaled water or debris? or just due to some physical abnormality they outgrew?) The best thing to do is pay attention- if the tiny sounds increase & you see any symptoms of distress (excess saliva, bubbles, open mouth breathing, etc) then make an appointment A.S.A.P.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    went in to the snake room today and checked him out proper - still none of the listed RI symptoms and when i prompted him to his he gave me big clear hisses just like normal so here’s hoping this was all just a helicopter mum moment ��

also was going to ask - i know there are varying types of RI but is there a general, ballpark time figure for contraction? eg: “by X amount of time if Y had it then they would’ve shown symptoms by now”
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 05-09-2023 at 10:01 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,797 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YungRasputin View Post
    went in to the snake room today and checked him out proper - still none of the listed RI symptoms and when i prompted him to his he gave me big clear hisses just like normal so here’s hoping this was all just a helicopter mum moment ��

also was going to ask - i know there are varying types of RI but is there a general, ballpark time figure for contraction? eg: “by X amount of time if Y had it then they would’ve shown symptoms by now”
    No, not that I know of- and I suspect that just like humans, snakes aren't all equal when it comes to their immune system functioning. Nothing like a big clear hiss to start the day-
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

YungRasputin (05-10-2023)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12