Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 783

0 members and 783 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Have any of you had to temporarily store your snakes in climate controlled storage?

I'm looking to move from TN to ME rather soon and since no one local has any actual money to buy any of my snakes with or without their pvc enclosures, has anyone here ever stored their snakes in a climate controlled storage facility so they have a base heat, and then access to electricity in the unit so their thermostats can be hooked up?

I was looking at some units up that way to keep them in during transition until essential stuff can be moved into the new place and set up and was just curious if anyone else had tried it before?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,789 Times in 11,825 Posts
    Wow, I just wouldn't trust such a thing. Power outages, temperature extremes, thefts...I just wouldn't.

I've moved cross country with a bunch of snakes (15) & they travel easily. (Bagged securely, in "ice chests" with heat packs or container of hot water if needed.) And when you arrive, with GOOD planning- you can do some quick set-ups (plastic tubs) until full set-ups can be managed. Movers brought most of my things, but tubs & heat tapes & such can travel w/ you easily enough. Happily most of my snakes were (& are) colubrids that need less heat than BPs- but you can probably make it work. If you're driving, no motels ever question you taking a cooler into your room- they assume it's edibles for the trip, not snakes...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (05-04-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,789 Times in 11,825 Posts
    To the best of my knowledge, storage units offer "climate control" that's only intended for non-living things- it's minimal & it's to keep things from expanding & contracting with freezing & hot temperatures.

I'm pretty sure it's also illegal to put ANY living thing in a storage unit- & it would certainly void any warranty they might give you for stored "things".

I also think that heating their enclosures inside such a unit would be a fire hazard (which no one would see in time) & could get you in trouble that way too- you could be held responsible if any damage occurred.

I think storage units are built similar to a good garden shed- meaning, not very insulated- so a really hot day or a really cold one could vary the inside by way too much.

For all these reasons, I'd never try such a thing- my animals are ALWAYS under my personal care. When I had to travel with bagged snakes (in insulated carrier), their bags were opened when I stopped for the night- to check on them & offer a drink of water. All remained mellow & seemed undisturbed by the trip- none got sick afterwards. We were on the road for 3 days- & with much chaos even after "landing". But my animals were safe. I also had a dog, so I only stayed in motels that allowed my dog. (They never asked about snakes- what they didn't see, they didn't know- ) And being the good guest, I made it clear my dog would be mostly crated, & not left alone- they just want guests that do no damage, & that don't have loose or noisy pets.

You could always ask the manager of the place you're looking at- but I'm pretty sure they'd say an emphatic "NO WAY!"- and if they're like most people, they'd be all too happy if your pets didn't survive being in storage.

You'd be better off contacting an exotic vet in the area to see if they could help you board them? https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-04-2023 at 05:49 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (05-04-2023)