Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,814

0 members and 2,814 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull

Thread: Humidity woes

Thanks

Humidity woes

Hi everyone. This is my first time posting. I took in a ball for a friend just over a month ago and I’m having trouble getting the humidity right. She was on aspen which made us too low so I last night changed her to coco coir mixed with coco husk and it’s way too high! How can I get a good balance? I don’t really want to be buying and running fans etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,175 Posts

Re: Humidity woes

Quote Originally Posted by lydia216 View Post
    Hi everyone. This is my first time posting. I took in a ball for a friend just over a month ago and I’m having trouble getting the humidity right. She was on aspen which made us too low so I last night changed her to coco coir mixed with coco husk and it’s way too high! How can I get a good balance? I don’t really want to be buying and running fans etc.
    Try replacing half of your current substrate with the aspen, if you have any left.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Or- how deep is the moist substrate? If you keep it shallower, it will dry out faster.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Thank you both. I did put it very deep. I used a whole coir brick and a full bag of husk. I’ve added some aspen and currently baking some of the coir mix!

Thanks

Unhappy

I’ve hair dried it, baked it, removed loads and added aspen and it’s still at 85%!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,175 Posts

I’ve hair dried it, baked it, removed loads and added aspen and it’s still at 85%!!!
    I understand your frustration. Managing temps and humidity is often very frustrating for new keepers. It's an art. You'll get the hang of it. For now, more aspen, less coco.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,073 Times in 412 Posts
    I'd be concerned that the aspen will get funky. You'll find out soon enough, I guess.

It might be worth checking that the hygrometer is accurate. Having two to compare against one another is a good idea.

You might post photos of the enclosure. Maybe someone will see something that could be altered to help.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Orchid bark works perfectly in my opinion
    You can practically choose your humidity level .. it also makes your snakes stand out ( unless they’re dark coloured )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    If this is freshly mixed sub, I honestly wouldn't fret about it too much. It will eventually go back down naturally, and as long as the sub isn't utterly sopping wet and there's proper air flow there shouldn't be much of a worry about scale rot either. Would frankly be more concerned about mixing the aspen in, since it's more prone to molding than coco coir/husk. A temporary spike in humidity won't do any harm.

Indeed I even do this intentionally with my snakes where there's "rain event" once a week or so which I do a heavy misting and let it dry out till the next week (while still leaving dry spots if they so desire). After all, it rains and therefore causes a spike in humidity out in the wild, parameters are never constant.