Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,051

2 members and 3,049 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    It does sound like he is jerking you around at this point from the details you have given.

That being said, when you ordered, was there any particular time frame promised, like the show, or was that something he offered later? A little detail like this could make things difficult in court.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-21-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,164 Posts

Re: How should I handle this?

I agree with everyone else that you've been wronged, and you have every right to be angry and seek redress. All that I'll add is that you need to also keep perspective. It's only three hundred dollars. It won't be hard between internet researching, phone calls, filling out forms, court visits, etc. to spend another three hundred dollars trying to get your money back. Then, he's screwed you over twice. Take what you can get with a reasonable amount of effort, give him a bad Yelp review, and let karma take care of the rest. Don't drive yourself crazy trying to get justice.
    Last edited by Homebody; 04-21-2023 at 08:44 AM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Lord Sorril (04-21-2023),nikkubus (04-21-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    I agree with everyone else that you've been wronged, and you have every right to be angry and seek redress. All that I'll add is that you need to also keep perspective. It's only three hundred dollars. It won't be hard between internet researching, phone calls, filling out forms, court visits, etc. to spend another three hundred dollars trying to get your money back. Then, he's screwed you over twice. Take what you can get with a reasonable amount of effort, give him a bad Yelp review, and let karma take care of the rest. Don't drive yourself crazy trying to get justice.
    Sometimes the threat of a bad review does the job- after all, he presumably wants to remain in business. He may have pulled this on the OP because he's otherwise in debt & thought he could get away with it. Rather than buying the materials needed to fill the order, maybe he gambled away the money, or it went up his nose? There's just no excuse for this- delays can happen for sure, but not this many times, & any honest business would have refunded the money when they couldn't supply the product ordered. $300 is a great deal of money to many people & obviously to the OP. I would do everything in my power to be "made whole".

I haven't rented or leased any place for many years-the last time I did was "memorable" to say the least. It was a nice townhouse in a very nice neighborhood. The landlord was 2 guys- business partners- & I only met one when I signed the lease. He seemed very nice. Fast forward to when I was ready to move on: The landlord didn't want to refund my large security deposit- & this was the "other guy" (the one I hadn't met yet). He had no legal reason to keep my $800- he just felt like he could get away with it. I was moving a long ways away- so messing with small claims court would only have punished me. I met with him in his office & with a straight face, I told him that if he didn't refund my money I'd find the lowest dirt-bags to sublet to- they'd mess the place up & it would take a long time to get them evicted. Guess who got paid promptly? He actually apologized & admitted that's exactly what another tenant had just done to them, & he was trying to recoup their lost money from ME! I've been a homeowner ever since. I may have looked like someone he could pull this on, but he found out otherwise.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Erie_herps (04-21-2023),Lord Sorril (04-21-2023),nikkubus (04-21-2023)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 827 Posts

Ugh. My last apartment tried to say we caused 2k in damages ABOVE a 1.6k deposit.
    Admitably, my dog was very good at finding one particular spot of carpet to muss... so they tried to make me pay for taking the 8+year old carpet out and recarpeting the whole thing. On top of saying that I caused water damage and leaking inside the wall with the shower like 2 feet away...when I had asked them multiple times about the consistently wet wood wall that I knew had been leaking from the neighbor side upstairs. =/
    We were all so tired of the crap they kept trying to drag us through that I managed to threaten enough with court for replacing end of life carpet if they didn't just keep the deposit and stop harassing us all. They were hemorrhaging residents from that complex because of roach issues they couldn't resolve.

Searching for legal help is such a hassle. I hope that the threat is enough to get them to either drop off the finished product for you or refund you fully, Animallover

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (04-21-2023)

Thanks

I’m so sorry you’re dealing with all this. Unfortunately some of those life lessons we learn come about this way. Once we had a dude take down a couple trees from the yard, and he needed to come back the next day to finish raising the tree line and repairing my favorite tree he destroyed in the process. My husband went ahead and paid him with the promise of returning the next day(not my style of business personally)…I imagine you can see where this is going.

We never saw the dude again. I thought the best of him for a couple days, and finally admitted to myself that we got the shaft. In our case we mostly got our moneys worth, so I let it go because I got strong vibes the dude was dangerous. The whole thing was a big pain, and I’m sorry this situation is occupying your mental load. Have you heard from the seller any more?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GuardianHunter For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-23-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianHunter View Post
    .....We never saw the dude again. I thought the best of him for a couple days, and finally admitted to myself that we got the shaft. In our case we mostly got our moneys worth, so I let it go because I got strong vibes the dude was dangerous....
    I'm so glad you listened to those vibes. Tree work is one of those dangerous occupations that not everyone wants- especially if they qualify for other work. I've hired a great many tree guys over the years, & I'm glad I never got vibes like that from any of them, though I found out later on that one of them WAS a real problem, well-known to local law enforcement (& he ended up in jail again), but still, the work he & his crew did for me was great. And it's always better to end such jobs on a positive note- you made a wise decision.

Anyway, I don't think that's what's going on with the OP's situation- but something's not right.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Registered User Animallover3541's Avatar
    Thanks

I apologize for not updating this thread sooner. I just had a crazy busy weekend and am also not feeling well.

Friday night we made an agreement to meet somewhere about an hour away from me on Sunday morning. I was running pretty late to meet him but he didn't really say anything about it and was very polite. The enclosure itself is actually pretty nice. It's very light weight but also very sturdy, plus it's already been siliconed inside on all the joints. If I feel up to it then I will try to go more in depth later and post some pictures.

Small claims court was an empty threat for me, $305 isn't worth whatever nightmare that might end up being for me lol. Mostly, I knew that the threat of an angry customer was worse than losing money for him because he has a very good reputation among keepers in my area (he's the main enclosure seller at reptile shows where I am), so someone sharing an unpleasant experience could be bad for him. Obviously I was never intending to just go and slander him and I only ever try to honestly recount my experiences with people and businesses, but obviously he didn't know that.

Anyways, would I buy an enclosure from him again? Maybe. If he had something I needed available at a show I was attending then yes I probably would buy. I'm happy with the quality of his work. However, I would never order online in advance again, especially if he would be unwilling to try doing a deposit vs paying in full.

Lesson learned I guess...
    1.0.0 Red Stripe BP (Noodle)
    0.1.0 T. d. elegans (Carole)
    0.1.0 Fawn English Angora Rabbit (Petunia)
    0.1.0 Domestic Cat (Winnie)

"Life is better with a snake."

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Animallover3541 For This Useful Post:

Aspen0122 (04-24-2023),bcr229 (04-24-2023),Bogertophis (04-24-2023),Homebody (04-24-2023),nikkubus (04-26-2023)

Thanks

Glad it was settled. Often, a correctly worded notice to take legal action is all that required.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mistergreen For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-24-2023)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12