Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,757

0 members and 2,757 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: Aspen Moulted?

Thanks

Aspen Moulted?

I checked on Aspen this morning and saw that she moulted... but she's full grown? First time spider owner here, do spiders moult after they are full-grown??
    🕷️ 🆆🅰🅽🅽🅰 🅷🆄🅽🆃 🅵🅾🆁 🅲🆁🆈🅿🆃🅸🅳🆂? 🕷️

🕷️ 🅹🆄🅼🅿🅸🅽🅶 🆂🅿🅸🅳🅴🆁 🅴🅽🆃🅷🆄🆂🅸🅰🆂🆃 🕷️

🕷️ "🆃🅷🅴 🅽🅴🆇🆃 🆃🅸🅼🅴 🆈🅾🆄 🆂🅴🅴 🅰 🆂🅿🅸🅳🅴🆁 🆆🅴🅱, 🅿🅻🅴🅰🆂🅴, 🅿🅰🆄🆂🅴 🅰🅽🅳 🅻🅾🅾🅺 🅰 🅻🅸🆃🆃🅻🅴 🅲🅻🅾🆂🅴🆁. 🆈🅾🆄'🅻🅻 🅱🅴 🆂🅴🅴🅸🅽🅶 🅾🅽🅴 🅾🅵 🆃🅷🅴 🅼🅾🆂🆃 🅷🅸🅶🅷-🅿🅴🆁🅵🅾🆁🅼🅰🅽🅲🅴 🅼🅰🆃🅴🆁🅸🅰🅻🆂 🅺🅽🅾🆆🅽 🆃🅾 🅼🅰🅽." 🕷️

🕷️ Be nice to spiders! They never did anything to hurt you! 🕷️

Thanks

Re: Aspen Moulted?

I fed her last night and noticed that she was moving a bit slow too. I also fed Archie the same thing, but smaller amount because he is a younger spider, but he was doing fine... what's going on??? I am going to add some more lighting to the area because that might be causing her to be lethargic like that, I don't know. I'm trying everything.
    Last edited by Aspen0122; 04-19-2023 at 09:43 AM.

🕷️ "🆃🅷🅴 🅽🅴🆇🆃 🆃🅸🅼🅴 🆈🅾🆄 🆂🅴🅴 🅰 🆂🅿🅸🅳🅴🆁 🆆🅴🅱, 🅿🅻🅴🅰🆂🅴, 🅿🅰🆄🆂🅴 🅰🅽🅳 🅻🅾🅾🅺 🅰 🅻🅸🆃🆃🅻🅴 🅲🅻🅾🆂🅴🆁. 🆈🅾🆄'🅻🅻 🅱🅴 🆂🅴🅴🅸🅽🅶 🅾🅽🅴 🅾🅵 🆃🅷🅴 🅼🅾🆂🆃 🅷🅸🅶🅷-🅿🅴🆁🅵🅾🆁🅼🅰🅽🅲🅴 🅼🅰🆃🅴🆁🅸🅰🅻🆂 🅺🅽🅾🆆🅽 🆃🅾 🅼🅰🅽." 🕷️

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aspen0122 View Post
    I checked on Aspen this morning and saw that she moulted... but she's full grown? First time spider owner here, do spiders moult after they are full-grown??
    Yes they do. (Just like with snakes- they do so less frequently since their growth has slowed down.)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-19-2023 at 09:51 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Aspen0122 (04-19-2023),Homebody (04-19-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts

I fed her last night and noticed that she was moving a bit slow too. I also fed Archie the same thing, but smaller amount because he is a younger spider, but he was doing fine... what's going on??? I am going to add some more lighting to the area because that might be causing her to be lethargic like that, I don't know. I'm trying everything.
    Did you check to make sure she molted completely? If there's any remaining that is stuck on her, that could impair her movement. Did she have adequate humidity? I don't know that lighting would have anything to do with it-

Just for clarity, remind me (us), what exactly is Aspen?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-19-2023 at 09:53 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Aspen0122 (04-19-2023),Homebody (04-19-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Did you check to make sure she molted completely? If there's any remaining that is stuck on her, that could impair her movement. Did she have adequate humidity? I don't know that lighting would have anything to do with it-
    Before I got her, I read that they need at least 12 hours of adequate lighting and lately, my room hasn't been getting a lot of sunlight, so I purchased some LEDs for her. I also spritz her enclosure with water and make sure that it's nice and humid throughout the day. It stays about 85 degrees in her enclosure throughout the day. She looks like she completely moulted, nothing seems to be stuck on her.

Also, Aspen is a tan jumping spider. Archie is a bold jumping spider.
    Last edited by Aspen0122; 04-19-2023 at 09:56 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aspen0122 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-19-2023),Homebody (04-19-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 417 Posts

I think it is really cool that people share non-herp animals here, but I do think that serious health questions are best addressed in a online community centered on the animal group at issue. Having a critical mass of users who are knowledgeable about a topic is the only reliable way to get comprehensive and confirmed recommendations.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Aspen0122 (04-19-2023),Bogertophis (04-19-2023),Homebody (04-19-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    I think it is really cool that people share non-herp animals here, but I do think that serious health questions are best addressed in a online community centered on the animal group at issue. Having a critical mass of users who are knowledgeable about a topic is the only reliable way to get comprehensive and confirmed recommendations.
    Thanks, I just joined a spider forum.

Thanks
    lighting, as in enclosure lighting, isn’t important or necessary with arachnids - it is important that they have mild ambient lighting to maintain a proper day/night cycle but they’re nocturnal/photophobia creatures so - this can accomplished via overhead lighting or sunlight peaking through the blinds

spiders will continue to molt throughout their lifetimes but much like snakes this will decrease in frequency as they age

also, spiders/tarantulas/arachnids, are primarily stationary creatures and will typically stay in their den for hours at a time - even at night - at night, occasionally they might roam and explore but 95% of the time they’ll be in a stationary position in their den or some other designated safe spot within the enclosure (this is particularly true if they’re a New World species of tarantula of whom are commonly referred to as “pet rocks”)

i don’t think it’s anything to worry about
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 04-21-2023 at 05:16 PM.
    het for nothing but groovy

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Aspen0122 (04-24-2023),Homebody (04-21-2023)