Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,928

2 members and 2,926 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,152 Times in 1,164 Posts

Re: Ball Python in 40 gallon long tank?/Gerbils and snake in same room?

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
    I just did some quick research on Children's pythons and they are super cute! I have found a lot of stuff about them being nippy, but then I've seen a lot of people say they have the calmest one ever. What has your experience with yours been like?
    Oh happy day! Snake shopping and you don't even know what species you want! You're about to have so much fun. How I envy you! Besides ball pythons, Children's pythons and corn snakes, you've got to consider milk snakes, king snakes, hognose snakes, rosy boas, Kenyan sand boas, African house snakes. And those are just the basics. I'm sure you'll uncover others in your search. And the morphs! Forget about it! So many glorious possibilities and any one of them can be yours.

But I suppose only one of them can be yours, so be thorough in your research and careful how you choose (you don't have to be too careful because they are all awesome in their own ways). I suggest you start reviewing the internet lists of best pet snakes for beginners. You see one that grabs you? Dig deeper into it. Clint's Reptiles has a bunch of videos that you'll find helpful. You can also go on Morph Market and window shop. Go crazy! Have fun! When you have a more concrete idea of what you want, come back and run it by us. I'm sure we'll have more to share.

As to your actual question, I ain't gonna lie, my Children's python is nippy. I've learned to avoid his nips for the most part. I'll also say that his bites are inconsequential. His head is so tiny. It's like being scratched by a thorn. If you want to know what a year in the life of a Children's python keeper is like, check out my thread: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ldren-s-Python. If you make it through, I'm sure you'll see I've had a lot of fun with him despite the occasional nip.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-18-2023),Malum Argenteum (04-18-2023),Sugarfoot (04-20-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    Oh happy day! Snake shopping and you don't even know what species you want! You're about to have so much fun....
    I can remember when I was first getting interested in snakes- OMG, EVERYTHING appealed to me! Yes, we're all "enablers" here, after all.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (04-18-2023),Sugarfoot (04-20-2023)

Thanks

I was so confused, I could see you had responded, but I couldn't find it. Turns out there's a second page...

Bogertophis, I think you had asked what my room temperature is. Currently it is 70 degrees fahrenheit. I really haven't been paying attention to what it has been though, so I'm not sure what it can get to in winter and summer. I think I'll start paying attention to that now.

Homebody, I checked out your thread about Wiggles. It was informative, and I love the little Gollum statue that you have in the enclosure!

I think I've pretty much fallen in love with ball pythons, but I haven't ruled out other snakes either. I've researched a few of the snakes that you listed, but I know there are a few that I should look into more.

I'll have plenty of time to think and save up money because I graduate high school this years and I don't have a plan for afterwards. I don't want to get a snake until I have at least a small idea of what I want to do, that way I will know if I can take care of a snake long term.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sugarfoot For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-20-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,152 Times in 1,164 Posts

I think I've pretty much fallen in love with ball pythons...
    I can't blame you. They keep those baby faces their whole lives. My late BP, Fonzie:
    I also agree it's wise to wait. You don't want to commit yourself to keeping a new pet when your living situation is up in the air.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-21-2023),Sugarfoot (04-21-2023)

Thanks

...Bogertophis, I think you had asked what my room temperature is. Currently it is 70 degrees fahrenheit. I really haven't been paying attention to what it has been though, so I'm not sure what it can get to in winter and summer. I think I'll start paying attention to that now.......

I'll have plenty of time to think and save up money because I graduate high school this years and I don't have a plan for afterwards. I don't want to get a snake until I have at least a small idea of what I want to do, that way I will know if I can take care of a snake long term.

I predict you'll do very well, because you already understand the importance of not rushing into things- & planning for the best outcome. We see SO many people having trouble with their impulse-buys- either with the care needed* or with not being able to have a pet where they end up living.**

(*Such as making sure what room temperatures you'll be coping with- a cold room can make it more difficult to keep something like a BP. And pets should be fun, not a frustrating uphill battle.)

(**At your age & situation, this can make a HUGE difference- whether you're working or in college, & where you plan to live. There's nothing sadder than to see someone with a pet they love but either can't afford to keep & care for it, or can't find a place they're allowed to have it. No matter what kind of pet- plan! And not just for the initial purchase & routing food, but have some savings in case vet care is needed, or a new thermostat is needed- things can go wrong, & sometimes it's at the worst possible time.)

Anyway, researching snakes & a certain amount of daydreaming is part of the fun, while being well-prepared makes for success.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ruby (04-20-2023),Sugarfoot (04-21-2023)

Thanks

Thank you for sharing that picture, Fonzie looks so cute!

Thank you for answering so many of my questions too, it has been extremely helpful. If (and hopefully when) I get a snake, I'll most likely make a post about it .

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sugarfoot For This Useful Post:

Homebody (04-21-2023)

Thanks

...If (and hopefully when) I get a snake, I'll most likely make a post about it .
    Well, you'd better!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sugarfoot (04-21-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Haven’t read through the thread but I kept our granddaughters Hamster in my crowded snake room for nearly 3 years no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-26-2023),Sugarfoot (04-26-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Haven’t read through the thread but I kept our granddaughters Hamster in my crowded snake room for nearly 3 years no issues
    Thank you for letting me know !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12