Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 825

0 members and 825 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Hello from a future owner

I signed up here about a month ago. Found this site through a google search and that's it really!
    However, I don't own a Ball Python yet. I do have experience going back to 1996 with reptiles, primarily day geckos and herps with poison dart frogs. Have no immediate plans to buy a ball python. What I do plan, is next October there is large reptile show in my area, Long Island, that I may buy a ball python from. I want to get a 75 gallon/48" wide tank, have all properly set up long before I have a snake. And I'm leaning toward a normal ball python. To me in what I've already seen, it appears the issue beyond good husbandry is feeding, but that the same time they may also relate to one another. And I'm sure that long timers with these species and others have learned that husbandry has seriously come a long way in the last ten years alone. So, looking forward to participating here.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-01-2023 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Fixed a few obvious typos for clarity

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mistergreen For This Useful Post:

YungRasputin (04-01-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,175 Posts

Re: Hello from a future owner

Quote Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
    I signed sphere about a month ago. Found this site through a google search and that's it really!
    However, I don't own a Ball Python yet. I do have experience going back to 1996 with reptiles, primarily day geckos and herps with poison dart frogs. Have no immediate plans Toby a ball python. What I do plane, is next October there is large reptile show in my area, Long Island, that I may buy a ball python from. I want to get a 75 gallon/48" wide tank, have all properly set up long before I have a snake. And I'm leaning toward a normal ball python. To me in what Ive already seen it appears the issue beyond good husbandry is feeding, but that the same time they may also relate to one another. And I'm sure that long timers with these species and others have learned that husbandry has seriously come a long way in the last ten years alone. So, looking forward to participating here.
    Welcome. You're wise to seek advice before spending your money. There are a lot of well-meaning and experienced keepers on this forum who will be more than happy to share their experiences and opinions with you.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,789 Times in 11,825 Posts
    mistergreen. Your plan for a 75 gal. tank sounds impressive but way too big for a new BP, especially if you get a hatchling or young one. I'm also not sure what you meant by this: "...but that the same time they may also relate to one another." It sounds like you're thinking about cohabitating more than one BP- but I hope I'm wrong, as it's just not a good idea with nearly all snakes- there's very few exceptions. While snakes can certainly "relate" to one another it's mostly at breeding time- they mostly live solo, & in captivity, where space is far less than in nature- even a 75 gal. tank is not enough to make housing more than one snake a good idea.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (04-01-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 411 Posts
    Welcome.

When I see an enclosure measured in gallons, I presume that's a fish tank. Fish tanks are pretty troublesome enclosures for most snake species, especially snakes like ball pythons that need pretty close control of humidity and temperatures. I recommend a commercially built PVC enclosure with a radiant heat panel and a Herpstat thermostat. Starting with appropriate equipment makes success more likely; BPs are potentially challenging snakes even with a good setup, and using enclosures best suited to other animals will just be adding a weak link in the chain.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-01-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    Welcome! There is a flood of information (much of it mediocre or bad, but some of it is good) on youtube and various reptile forums. I enjoy reptile forums a lot but am super picky about where I actually get my husbandry and care information.

I've found this group to be a very safe place in terms of folks being courteous and patient with questions, and have also found that there are many keepers here with excellent practical experience combined with common sense. You've found a good group, and you'll get all of the info you need here.

I have to agree with others that you might want to use the time between now and October to consider enclosure choices. Glass tanks are very common, as they are sold by most pet shops. But they aren't ideal long-term. The front-opening glass reptile enclosures by Zoo Med or Zilla can be nice for a hatchling or juvenile snake, though their screen tops can make proper humidity and temperature a challenge. It's manageable though. For an older juvenile or adult, a glass enclosure of appropriate size is very heavy and even more challenging for maintaining temps/humidity. That's why you will see most of us here recommending PVC enclosures, which are lightweight and excellent for maintaining the conditions your snake will need.

Ask any questions here you need to and try to get the enclosure for your new snake set up and stabilized a few weeks in advance of getting them.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-01-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    mistergreen. Your plan for a 75 gal. tank sounds impressive but way too big for a new BP, especially if you get a hatchling or young one. I'm also not sure what you meant by this: "...but that the same time they may also relate to one another." It sounds like you're thinking about cohabitating more than one BP- but I hope I'm wrong, as it's just not a good idea with nearly all snakes- there's very few exceptions. While snakes can certainly "relate" to one another it's mostly at breeding time- they mostly live solo, & in captivity, where space is far less than in nature- even a 75 gal. tank is not enough to make housing more than one snake a good idea.
    Thanks for the welcome.
    What I meant, maybe it didn't come across, was simply maybe the finicky eating and sometimes not eating I've been reading with BP's could be from husbandry issues. I wouldn't have two snakes in one tank.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mistergreen For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-01-2023),Malum Argenteum (04-01-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    Welcome! There is a flood of information (much of it mediocre or bad, but some of it is good) on youtube and various reptile forums. I enjoy reptile forums a lot but am super picky about where I actually get my husbandry and care information.

I've found this group to be a very safe place in terms of folks being courteous and patient with questions, and have also found that there are many keepers here with excellent practical experience combined with common sense. You've found a good group, and you'll get all of the info you need here.

I have to agree with others that you might want to use the time between now and October to consider enclosure choices. Glass tanks are very common, as they are sold by most pet shops. But they aren't ideal long-term. The front-opening glass reptile enclosures by Zoo Med or Zilla can be nice for a hatchling or juvenile snake, though their screen tops can make proper humidity and temperature a challenge. It's manageable though. For an older juvenile or adult, a glass enclosure of appropriate size is very heavy and even more challenging for maintaining temps/humidity. That's why you will see most of us here recommending PVC enclosures, which are lightweight and excellent for maintaining the conditions your snake will need.

Ask any questions here you need to and try to get the enclosure for your new snake set up and stabilized a few weeks in advance of getting them.
    Thanks for the welcome.
    I was planing on a PVC enclosure. Ive already seen that glass for snakes is not good. And a smaller tank for juveniles is recommended. That's good advice. As far as Youtube goes, eh, there's more conflicting opinions there that just make things more confusing. Youtube to me is a place to find reviews for guitars really. And watch music.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mistergreen For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (04-01-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    Welcome.

When I see an enclosure measured in gallons, I presume that's a fish tank. Fish tanks are pretty troublesome enclosures for most snake species, especially snakes like ball pythons that need pretty close control of humidity and temperatures. I recommend a commercially built PVC enclosure with a radiant heat panel and a Herpstat thermostat. Starting with appropriate equipment makes success more likely; BPs are potentially challenging snakes even with a good setup, and using enclosures best suited to other animals will just be adding a weak link in the chain.

Thanks for the welcome.
    And I gotcha, from now on its PVC enclosure. That is what I originally meant. I'm getting the proper nomenclature now!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mistergreen For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (04-01-2023),Spicey (04-01-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,789 Times in 11,825 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
    Thanks for the welcome.
    What I meant, maybe it didn't come across, was simply maybe the finicky eating and sometimes not eating I've been reading with BP's could be from husbandry issues. I wouldn't have two snakes in one tank.
    I wasn't sure which way to read your post, & just wanted to make sure.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

mistergreen (04-08-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Welcome !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

mistergreen (04-04-2023)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast