Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,291

0 members and 2,291 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

New BP owner, seeking enclosure suggestions

i got a 40gallon tank kit that included the essentials, but it was quite barren and dull with only a water dish and hollow rock cave shelter. i cut a couple branches off a tree that fit nicely and my python seems to like them and prefers sheltering beneath them to the rock cave. i also added a couple large flat rocks on the lamp/basking side. however the entire upper area of the tank is open space, as are a couple corners. the snake is still adjusting to a new home and i have not fed or handled it yet so i’m not sure if it will be content with the current situation or if i need to add more or remove some things from the terrarium. i would post a pic of the setup but im not allowed to include attachments.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,175 Posts

Re: New BP owner, seeking enclosure suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by anson View Post
    i would post a pic of the setup but im not allowed to include attachments.
    Welcome. I'm so glad you chose to join us. I vaguely recall getting that message before I learned how to post pics too. Be assured, you're allowed to post pics. This thread will show you how: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures. Posting pics will improve both the quality and quantity of the advice you receive, so it's worth the effort to learn how. Tapatalk is popular. I use Imgur.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

anson (03-30-2023),Malum Argenteum (03-28-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    Welcome! This is a really helpful and friendly group - I'm glad you joined and hope you feel free to ask any questions you need to.

One thought: in my experience, the 'kits' sold by most of the big chain pet shops don't necessarily have your best choices for setting up the enclosure for a Royal python. If you're struggling with adding a photo, maybe just list what came with the enclosure in terms of substrate, gauges, etc.? I know a lot of those kits don't include a thermostat, which is critically important for regulating heat, some include aspen substrate which may not be your best choice for maintaining the humidity you need, and some even include 'heat lamps' or red lights that are also not your best option.

It can be frustrating to have spent the money on a kit only to find that several components need to be replaced, and I know you're trying to do the best you can for your new snake - we're here to help out as much as we can.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

anson (03-30-2023),Bogertophis (03-28-2023),Homebody (03-28-2023),Malum Argenteum (03-28-2023),OatBoii (03-29-2023)