Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,079

1 members and 2,078 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Thread: Moving My BP

Thanks

Moving My BP

I’m feeling like a bad snake dad right now. I have been insanely busy getting my life back to order after a tough year of surgery and divorce. So I finally moved my 9 month Royal to my new pad (five minutes down the road) new enclosure, new substrate and furniture from her old cage plus two upgrades hides that I have familiarized her with already.
    Was this to abrupt to do this to her without her having the option of her old enclosure?
    She def seems a bit nervous and though I was planning on feeding her in three days and resuming normal routine is this too soon? Should I give her more time as if she was a new snake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    Hey, life happens, y'know? Yes, I'd wait at least week or two before feeding- depending on how she's acting. Less frustration that way. Congratulations on moving forward on all fronts.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

D-.No (03-26-2023)

Thanks

Re: Moving My BP

Great advice! I’m going to be out of town for four days and super happy. I moved her to a better substrate and an acrylic enclosure. Less worries about keeping her husbandry just right while I’m away.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to D-.No For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-26-2023)

Thanks
    Moving & changing enclosures does sorta freak snakes out- they don't understand where the world they knew just disappeared to. But it's all for the best & I think you'll know when she's ready to feed again.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

D-.No (03-26-2023),Homebody (03-27-2023)

Thanks

Moving My BP

So Roxy has eaten the biggest single critter in her short existence and everything seems fine except she’s really pissed! She’s ready to strike most everytime I try to interact and actually hit the door when I was tending to her enclosure. Should I start handling her soon (I’ve backed off a lot since the new year) or be patient and give her the opportunity to mellow out a bit more?

Last edited by D-.No; 04-10-2023 at 06:13 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by D-.No View Post
    So Roxy has eaten the biggest single critter in her short existence and everything seems fine except she’s really pissed! She’s ready to strike most everytime I try to interact and actually hit the door when I was tending to her enclosure. Should I start handling her soon (I’ve backed off a lot since the new year) or be patient and give her the opportunity to mellow out a bit more?

Be glad she's eating, but give her some space- unless you welcome a bite? Sounds like she's afraid & defensive- snakes don't understand changes in their surroundings, & it stresses them a lot.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

D-.No (04-10-2023),Homebody (04-10-2023)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,897 Times in 835 Posts
    How much of a change is the new digs?
    For example, if you're still moving a lot of things in the room, vibrations can be upsetting her.
    Or if her old habitat was a tub and now she's in a glass front? Not every snake adjusts to that well. Her reflection or any small movements outside may be affecting her as well.

I've managed to do short term coverups and get a few nervous snakes settled in on glass fronts. I've had a few that just refused to ever settle down and moved them to tubs again to reduce any risk of injuries.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

D-.No (04-10-2023)

Thanks

Yeah, she went from a tub in an area with a lot of privacy for the most part. It needed a lot more maintenance then what she’s in currently so I was definitely more involved in going in and out of her enclosure before.
    But now she has a lier window into my crazy world. She also has a view of the television and subjected to a lot more sound, vibrations and activity.
    The first several days I covered up the window and then went away for a little while. I’m still waiting for my 4 foot enclosure from animal plastics. Definitely considering changing the layout of my apartment and putting her in the more mellow room that I was going to be using for my studio and moving my music equipment into the main living space.
    Feeling kind of bad that she’s going to be changing habitat again. I really wanted to offer her an upgrade ASAP considering that she’s getting really big, much bigger than I was assuming at this age.