Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,119

1 members and 3,118 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Question How to best heat my enclosure?

Hello! I'm a new reptile owner and in about a month I'll receive my ball python, I'm setting up everything before he arrives.

I have a 4x2x2 melamine enclosure, at this time of the year my house is normally around 18ºC (64,4ºF) give or take.
    I was thinking about buying an 80w deep heat projector but I'm afraid that might not be enough and maybe I should buy a 2nd heater.
    The breeder said they use an under-belly heater but I'm not sure I'm confortable having that inside the enclosure. I've also read about radiant heat pannels but sadly those don't exist in Europe. What would be a good solution to pair with the RHP?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,178 Posts

Re: How to best heat my enclosure?

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
    Hello! I'm a new reptile owner and in about a month I'll receive my ball python, I'm setting up everything before he arrives.

I have a 4x2x2 melamine enclosure, at this time of the year my house is normally around 18ºC (64,4ºF) give or take.
    I was thinking about buying an 80w deep heat projector but I'm afraid that might not be enough and maybe I should buy a 2nd heater.
    The breeder said they use an under-belly heater but I'm not sure I'm confortable having that inside the enclosure. I've also read about radiant heat pannels but sadly those don't exist in Europe. What would be a good solution to pair with the RHP?
    The short answer is that a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) is a good solution to pair with the DHP, but I would set up the DHP first to see how it does. You have time to experiment. I would also consider dividing your enclosure. It will be easier to heat and, if you're getting a baby ball python, it'll make it feel more secure.

A pic of your enclosure might help us better advise you. This thread will show you how to post them: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures.
    Last edited by Homebody; 03-25-2023 at 07:34 AM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (03-25-2023)

Thanks
    I'm noticing now I typed "to pair with the RHP", just to clear any confusion I did mean DHP my bad!

The BP is around 8months old, I've read that as long as I use a lot of foliage and decoration I can keep him in a bigger space without him feeling stressed, but if thats not the case I can try to use a board to limit up the space until he grows up a bit more. The enclosure is still to be desinfected, got it just a couple days ago:

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cisco For This Useful Post:

Homebody (03-25-2023)

Thanks

So, I would set up the DHP and see how it does. A DHP needs things in the enclosure to warm up, so you'll have to add the substrate and furnishings. Set the DHP's thermostat to maintain a basking spot temp of 32C. If, after a week or so, the ambient on the cool side is still under 24C, add the CHE.

Thanks
    Alright, I'll experiment with just the DHP first.

I was trying to predict if I would need 2 heat sources mainly because that way I'd buy a multichannel thermostat instead of buying a normal thermostat, then realizing I'd need a 2nd heat source, and having to buy another one. The price would be nearly the same and the multichannel one has more features, but at the same time if I only end up needing the DHP then I'd be wasting money by buying it.

Another question tho, in case the DHP isn't enough, would the CHE be put on the colder side?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
    Alright, I'll experiment with just the DHP first.

I was trying to predict if I would need 2 heat sources mainly because that way I'd buy a multichannel thermostat instead of buying a normal thermostat, then realizing I'd need a 2nd heat source, and having to buy another one. The price would be nearly the same and the multichannel one has more features, but at the same time if I only end up needing the DHP then I'd be wasting money by buying it.

Another question tho, in case the DHP isn't enough, would the CHE be put on the colder side?
    Yes. The CHE would go on the cool side to maintain the cool side temps between 24-27C. I think it's very likely that you will need the CHE, so I would go ahead and get the thermostat capable of regulating two heat sources.

Also, you should wait a bit before buying anything to see if anyone else on the forum has a different opinion. It's still early morning in the U.S., so most of our members haven't checked in yet.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Cisco (03-25-2023),Malum Argenteum (03-25-2023)