Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,889

2 members and 2,887 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Registered User Animallover3541's Avatar
    Thanks

Is it possible to paint outside of ABS enclosure?

This weekend I will be picking up a new ABS enclosure from The Reptile Factory and I am super excited! I have seen his enclosures at shows and he is highly recommended, plus his prices are very reasonable as well. However, he now only produces black enclosures and I wanted white to go along with my room. The door hinges he makes are glued on and made of acrylic. If I wanted to paint just the outside, would that be possible? What should I do to get the paint to adhere properly? What alternatives do I have in order to make it more boho to fit into my room decor?
    1.0.0 Red Stripe BP (Noodle)
    0.1.0 T. d. elegans (Carole)
    0.1.0 Fawn English Angora Rabbit (Petunia)
    0.1.0 Domestic Cat (Winnie)

"Life is better with a snake."

Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,164 Posts

Re: Is it possible to paint outside of ABS enclosure?

According to this site, it is: https://paintsprayed.com/how-to-spra...t-abs-plastic/, but just because it's possible doesn't mean it's advisable. I imagine it's a pretty easy thing to screw up. You're probably better off painting your room black.
    Last edited by Homebody; 03-21-2023 at 04:59 PM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-21-2023),Malum Argenteum (03-21-2023)

Thanks

You can paint it, but it probably won't stay painted very well. Every time you bump up against it you'll knock paint off. Maybe you could make an "envelope" of white coroplast? That would help with maintaining constant temps, too.
    Last edited by Spicey; 03-21-2023 at 05:17 PM.
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Spicey For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-21-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spicey View Post
    You can paint it, but it probably won't stay painted very well. Every time you bump up against it you'll knock paint off...
    That's what I think too- I wouldn't paint it. I'd sooner neatly tape poster board in the desired color to the main outer surfaces- poster board has a foam core & helps insulate- + you don't have the mess & fumes of painting, with all the paint chipping off later on. I'm not in love with "Contac paper" (it gives off a chemical odor) but that's another option that might be better than painting it, IMO. You can also get large decals (in a wide variety of subjects if you search) to decorate (most of?) the outside. You could do a "collage", actually, of things you like to look at. Or you could attach "peel & stick" thin cork tiles & leave it plain, or use it for photos etc. (Cork comes in light or dark brown, probably not white- but who knows?) Carpet tiles are also "peel & stick"- in many colors & they insulate- easy to cut with scissors- I've used them for some projects.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-21-2023 at 09:06 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (03-22-2023)

Registered User Animallover3541's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That's what I think too- I wouldn't paint it. I'd sooner neatly tape poster board in the desired color to the main outer surfaces- poster board has a foam core & helps insulate- + you don't have the mess & fumes of painting, with all the paint chipping off later on. I'm not in love with "Contac paper" (it gives off a chemical odor) but that's another option that might be better than painting it, IMO. You can also get large decals (in a wide variety of subjects if you search) to decorate (most of?) the outside. You could do a "collage", actually, of things you like to look at. Or you could attach "peel & stick" thin cork tiles & leave it plain, or use it for photos etc. (Cork comes in light or dark brown, probably not white- but who knows?) Carpet tiles are also "peel & stick"- in many colors & they insulate- easy to cut with scissors- I've used them for some projects.
    I completely forgot some of these things existed... I was worried the paint wouldn't stick well, so I'll definitely find an alternative. I need to build or buy a stand, and If I do then I could always put a piece of light colored ply good there and maybe add some other things to accent it. Thank you guys for the help!
    Last edited by Animallover3541; 03-22-2023 at 08:07 AM.
    1.0.0 Red Stripe BP (Noodle)
    0.1.0 T. d. elegans (Carole)
    0.1.0 Fawn English Angora Rabbit (Petunia)
    0.1.0 Domestic Cat (Winnie)

"Life is better with a snake."