Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,473

6 members and 3,467 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Question I'm a little concerned about my bp

So I got a ball python from a teacher who says the previous owner didn't want him anymore and dumped him off at his class. This bp is most definitely not older than a few months, as he just a little bigger than a juvenile. There is a few concerns, though. He seems to have leftover shed stuck to some of his scales, I've tried soaking him and it won't budge. His scales on his head down to half his body are also very...crinkly? They are raised and wrinkled and look a little bit of an ashy color, like there's some grey tint. There's also shed stuck to both of his eyeballs. He's also extremely shy and refused to eat, I only had him a week, so I shouldn't worry too much about feeding. When he slithers, his scales make a crinkling sound, almost like opening a bag of chips. He doesn't look under or overweight but I'm just concerned if A. Humidity is too low/high, B. He's dehydrated, or C. There's other health problems going on with him. He's my first reptile and I don't know what to do. He does have a vet appt. tomorrow, though.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jadee1 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-19-2023),Malum Argenteum (03-20-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts
    Welcome jadee1, & thank you for trying to take the best care of this unplanned pet. He probably won't eat until after the old skin (especially on his eyes) is gently removed. It sounds like his former owner knew little about proper care required- especially humidity. Soaking a snake in faintly-luke-warm water can sometimes help, but snakes often feel stressed when soaking (due to loss of traction, water cooling off, & just being so exposed in unfamiliar territory) so what I'd suggest adding is a "humid hide". I like to use soaked & drained sphagnum moss for that- & when it's placed in a secure-feeling hide, the snake feels safe (hiding) & can take as long as he needs to absorb the high humidity.

Also, in case you haven't found it yet, this may help us to help you: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures

To ensure that you get the best help with this or any snake, you might also want to contact a vet that's experienced with snakes, as reptiles are far different from other pets. This site may help:
    https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (03-20-2023),Malum Argenteum (03-20-2023),OatBoii (03-20-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,184 Posts

Re: I'm a little concerned about my bp

Welcome to the club. Pics of your bp and set up will help us advise you. This forum also has an excellent caresheet. Good luck at the vet. Let us know what he/she says.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-20-2023),Malum Argenteum (03-20-2023),OatBoii (03-20-2023)