Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,073

1 members and 3,072 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    I have to say…as a person who has stared at this snakes back for 5 whole days, I kind of feel like the picture on the right is showing some improvement. The picture on the left was when he was 30 seconds in my house. The right is before his soak today. Could be wishful thinking, but I THINK I’m seeing improvement.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GuardianHunter For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (03-21-2023),Caitlin (03-21-2023),Homebody (03-21-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts

Re: Rescue situation, newer keeper

I see improvement too. Hang in there. With their slower metabolisms snakes can take a long time to heal, but they are incredibly resilient and will often bounce back from awful situations if we just give them half a chance. I think your guy has at least a good foundation based on overall body condition, so this is all hopeful.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (03-21-2023),Bogertophis (03-21-2023),GuardianHunter (03-21-2023)

Thanks

I have no problem hanging in there for the long haul with him. Moving the right direction was all I needed to see. Slow progress is a-ok with me—it’s still progress.

Thanks

How long does it take for a ball Python to inflate after being so dehydrated? Even after several baths with electrolytes he’s still saggy. Does a snake on the slightly thin side also appear saggy? It’s worth noting that after each bath he blows scales like confetti. Just loads of shed in individual pieces, especially over that nasty place on his back. I’m keeping his enclosure at 85% humidity if he’s possibly in shed. 90F hot spot that he’s refusing to leave. (Editing due to the thought that spiders do better in cooler temps, but not sure bc if there’s a respiratory infection they say to bump UP the temp. I opted for up) Hand for reference on the snek confetti. Is there more I can do to help him plump up, or do less of? Or is this a time game?

Last edited by GuardianHunter; 03-22-2023 at 07:29 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianHunter View Post
    How long does it take for a ball Python to inflate after being so dehydrated? Even after several baths with electrolytes he’s still saggy. Does a snake on the slightly thin side also appear saggy? It’s worth noting that after each bath he blows scales like confetti. Just loads of shed in individual pieces, especially over that nasty place on his back. I’m keeping his enclosure at 85% humidity if he’s possibly in shed. 90F hot spot that he’s refusing to leave. (Editing due to the thought that spiders do better in cooler temps, but not sure bc if there’s a respiratory infection they say to bump UP the temp. I opted for up) Hand for reference on the snek confetti. Is there more I can do to help him plump up, or do less of? Or is this a time game?

It's a time game- it takes lots of time for a starved snake to regain lost weight, & for a dehydrated snake to fully regain what they lost. DO NOT feed too much, as that will backfire- he needs small meals roughly once a week unless in shed- then I'd suggest skipping food even if he's willing to eat while "blue" as it will likely make his shed even more difficult. It will be a while before you really see improvement, but if you compare his current photos to where he is in about a year, you should see real progress. Be very patient.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (03-22-2023),GuardianHunter (03-22-2023),Homebody (03-22-2023)

Thanks

Ok. I can do that. I just wanted to be sure that if I was supposed to see large changes, I was. I can do baby steps. (What about Bob anyone? Lol).

Unless advised otherwise, I think I’m going to give him a day or two or no handling. We marked a week and I tried to give him a FT rat pup of Noodles’. He struck and wrapped it up but let it go after a minute and decided he was done, even with it being warmed up really good. If its safe to wait I’ll try again in about 5 days. He ate about 3 weeks ago. He’s used to a small rat or large mouse, and he will take either, so maybe the size of it was a picky point. Or you know. General stress from the literal struggle hes going through. Don’t know if he’s dry or shedding or both. Anyway. I’m blathering. I’ll post updates along and along.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GuardianHunter For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (03-22-2023)

Thanks
    So, tomorrow I will offer him another meal. He hasn’t been handled since last offer. If he chooses not to eat again, exactly how long can he go on an eating strike before it becomes emergent? We only ever deal with our juvenile who acts like he’s starving every time we walk into the room.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Think positive, do everything you can to get him fed. No way I or anyone can tell you "how long he can go without eating"- if only I could.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (03-27-2023)

Thanks

It’s getting close to a month. 😐 he’s stressing me out. He better eat. I don’t deserve to be this worked up. 😂

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianHunter View Post
    It’s getting close to a month. 😐 he’s stressing me out. He better eat. I don’t deserve to be this worked up. 😂
    I know you are worried and I totally get it. Reality check: He's five years old with a questionable-to-neglectful-to-abusive background. You rescued him only recently. His body condition isn't bad at all (he's not starving). It'll be great if he eats tomorrow but he may not eat for weeks or even a few months. Just keep it up with the good husbandry and any treatment he requires in the meantime.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (03-26-2023),Bogertophis (03-26-2023),GuardianHunter (03-26-2023),Homebody (03-27-2023)

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast