Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,013

0 members and 3,013 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Ziggy Ure - 50% Hypo Bredli - Progression Thread

Hello, and welcome!

He has finally arrived! I picked him up just an hour ago and brought him home.

As for his name... I knew I wanted some word from the indigenous people of Australia who live around the Alice Springs area, the Arrernte. While scouring the known words, I found "Ure", pronounced like "oo-rah" or "or-rah". It means fire, which I thought fitting for the colour that he is, sort of a low, burnt-out flame colour. However, I'm a little attached to Ziggy too, since I've been using it as a placeholder for a while now. So, why not both? "Zigzag Fire" sounds like a good name to me.

Ure arrived looking good! A bit fired down, but he was also a bit chilly, so that's expected. Once again, Nick Mutton was amazing to work with, and I'm so glad to have this little guy from him. He is much smaller than I expected, but then again, I didn't have a concrete idea of how big or little he (or any bredli) is at that age to begin with.

He was very alert, even after such a long journey.

Quite active and quick as well. I didn't want to stress him out by handling him for too long, and it unfortunately started raining as I was picking him up, so I wanted to get him into his tank ASAP so he could warm up.

Here's a good one though! I can't believe how gorgeous he is even now, after a long overnight trip.

The first thing he did was to go straight to the top under the leaf clutter. For a while he hung out there, chilling as high up as he could. It's fascinating behaviour to observe. I've never had a semi-arboreal snake before.

It let me get some stunning shots of his lower half. I'm guessing he's ~24-28" right now. I want to weigh him after a couple of days, once he's settled in a little bit. He can't possibly be more than a pound.

I can't wait to see him coloured up! Even just the LED light really brings out the oranges and reds.

He even has a zig-zag pattern on his tail! I guess Ziggy was just meant to be. When I put it down as the "name" of my pet on my paperwork, I didn't think I'd end up liking it so much. I guess that's what often happens with a "temporary" thing, though. They become permanent.

Some pics of him exploring! Checking out his warm hide.

In the front right corner by all the leaf clutter.

He has settled onto the warm side under all the leaf clutter now. A single large magnolia leaf is practically a hide for him. I ordered small hides, but I think they're still pretty big for him. Time will tell I suppose.

Either way, I am excited to see him become more comfortable and continue to explore his new home!

Here's to the next several decades, my friend

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to OatBoii For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-16-2023),Caitlin (03-20-2023),dakski (03-16-2023),Fraido (03-16-2023),Gio (03-16-2023),Homebody (03-16-2023),Mistery510 (10-27-2023),Nick_MD (03-16-2023),Opaque (06-21-2023),plateOfFlan (03-16-2023)

Thanks

Re: Ziggy Ure - 50% Hypo Bredli - Progression Thread

Quote Originally Posted by OatBoii View Post
    Hello, and welcome!

He has finally arrived! I picked him up just an hour ago and brought him home.

As for his name... I knew I wanted some word from the indigenous people of Australia who live around the Alice Springs area, the Arrernte. While scouring the known words, I found "Ure", pronounced like "oo-rah" or "or-rah". It means fire, which I thought fitting for the colour that he is, sort of a low, burnt-out flame colour. However, I'm a little attached to Ziggy too, since I've been using it as a placeholder for a while now. So, why not both? "Zigzag Fire" sounds like a good name to me.

Ure arrived looking good! A bit fired down, but he was also a bit chilly, so that's expected. Once again, Nick Mutton was amazing to work with, and I'm so glad to have this little guy from him. He is much smaller than I expected, but then again, I didn't have a concrete idea of how big or little he (or any bredli) is at that age to begin with.

He was very alert, even after such a long journey.

Quite active and quick as well. I didn't want to stress him out by handling him for too long, and it unfortunately started raining as I was picking him up, so I wanted to get him into his tank ASAP so he could warm up.

Here's a good one though! I can't believe how gorgeous he is even now, after a long overnight trip.

The first thing he did was to go straight to the top under the leaf clutter. For a while he hung out there, chilling as high up as he could. It's fascinating behaviour to observe. I've never had a semi-arboreal snake before.

It let me get some stunning shots of his lower half. I'm guessing he's ~24-28" right now. I want to weigh him after a couple of days, once he's settled in a little bit. He can't possibly be more than a pound.

I can't wait to see him coloured up! Even just the LED light really brings out the oranges and reds.

He even has a zig-zag pattern on his tail! I guess Ziggy was just meant to be. When I put it down as the "name" of my pet on my paperwork, I didn't think I'd end up liking it so much. I guess that's what often happens with a "temporary" thing, though. They become permanent.

Some pics of him exploring! Checking out his warm hide.

In the front right corner by all the leaf clutter.

He has settled onto the warm side under all the leaf clutter now. A single large magnolia leaf is practically a hide for him. I ordered small hides, but I think they're still pretty big for him. Time will tell I suppose.

Either way, I am excited to see him become more comfortable and continue to explore his new home!

Here's to the next several decades, my friend
    Looking happy, enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wanik4 For This Useful Post:

OatBoii (03-16-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    He's a real beauty- & for what it's worth, I think he looks like a Ziggy too, but it's your call. He looks like he's enjoying his new digs- a real credit to you. May you have many many enjoyable years with this guy.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

OatBoii (03-16-2023)

Thanks
    He reminds me of a Ziggy too! He'll just have two names- One for friends, and one for Business ;]

I expect he'll stay out of sight for a while, until he adjusts. I do wish I'd remembered to weigh him first- I was so concerned with getting him out of the rain and into his new home I spaced on it. I doubt he'll want to come out now though, if I could even get him! He held onto the little deli lid with everything he had, and it was admittedly more strength than I was willing to tug at. I bet he could hook onto a piece of wood and just say "no" to coming out.

I guess I'll try and snag him if I see him out and moving... somewhere like the branches maybe. That way I can get him into a cup, onto the scale, and right back in without fuss. Then I can go find some food for him for later this week, once I know how much he weighs.
    Last edited by OatBoii; 03-16-2023 at 02:12 PM.
    1.0 50% Hypo Morelia Bredli "Ziggy Ure"

Thanks

He reminds me of a Ziggy too! He'll just have two names- One for friends, and one for Business ;]

I expect he'll stay out of sight for a while, until he adjusts. I do wish I'd remembered to weigh him first- I was so concerned with getting him out of the rain and into his new home I spaced on it. I doubt he'll want to come out now though, if I could even get him! He held onto the little deli lid with everything he had, and it was admittedly more strength than I was willing to tug at. I bet he could hook onto a piece of wood and just say "no" to coming out.

I guess I'll try and snag him if I see him out and moving... somewhere like the branches maybe. That way I can get him into a cup, onto the scale, and right back in without fuss. Then I can go find some food for him for later this week, once I know how much he weighs.
    I wouldn't feel too bad about not weighing him right off- I virtually ALWAYS forget to do that- my main focus is always the animal's comfort (keeping stress to a minimum) & their sense of security- & quite honestly, your snake's weight isn't going to change noticeably with one or 2 meals anyway. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (03-16-2023),OatBoii (03-16-2023)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    You should probably just feed him whatever Nick was feeding him to ease his adjustment into his new home.
    I'd love to! However, he has been having an "adult mouse or similarly sized rat pup", and there are... many sizes of adult mouse (at least at my local stores there are). That's why I'd like to weigh him, so I can figure out which size I should buy.

Like Bogertophis said though, my main concern is his comfort and encouraging him to feel safe, so I don't want to have to drag him out. If I see my chance I'll take it, but if he hides for the next 5 days straight, I guess I'll just get a small adult mouse? I'll figure it out.
    1.0 50% Hypo Morelia Bredli "Ziggy Ure"

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OatBoii For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-21-2023),Homebody (03-16-2023)

Thanks

I'd love to! However, he has been having an "adult mouse or similarly sized rat pup", and there are... many sizes of adult mouse (at least at my local stores there are). That's why I'd like to weigh him, so I can figure out which size I should buy.

Like Bogertophis said though, my main concern is his comfort and encouraging him to feel safe, so I don't want to have to drag him out. If I see my chance I'll take it, but if he hides for the next 5 days straight, I guess I'll just get a small adult mouse? I'll figure it out.
    I'd still assume he'll be fairly stressed & feed him on the light side anyway (maybe a hopper?), so he's less likely to up-chuck it. Snakes in new surroundings may not feel so brave right off.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

OatBoii (03-16-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

I guarantee you Nick just fed it a weaned+ size mouse about the thickness of the snake +/-. That guy has never weighed a rodent in his life. About the thickness of the snake and you'll be just fine. In fact some carpets prefer disproportionately large prey over smaller feeders.

Great looking critter, congrats!

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-16-2023),Gio (03-16-2023),Homebody (03-16-2023),OatBoii (03-16-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    I guarantee you Nick just fed it a weaned+ size mouse about the thickness of the snake +/-. That guy has never weighed a rodent in his life. About the thickness of the snake and you'll be just fine. In fact some carpets prefer disproportionately large prey over smaller feeders.

Great looking critter, congrats!
    Indeed!

You won't have many, if any issues feeding a Bredli. In my experience they take about anything you offer. I started my fella (he was older) on rats, quail and he's had rabbit since then.

Your snake will likely take a meal larger than its widest body part.

Nick feeds very conservatively for a couple of reasons. The first being, breeders don't like to have large males in their care. They eat more, take up more space and sometimes don't breed as well.

The second reason is that long term health can suffer from overfeeding. Normally that is frequency based and not as much because of prey size.

You can certainly give your new animal a good start in the first 2 years. I tend to give them a decent amount of food early in life, then switch to a seasonal program. The adult snakes here take October to March off and resume feeding in the spring.

Your animal looks great and I think you'll really enjoy the species.

Congrats!

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-16-2023),Caitlin (03-20-2023),OatBoii (03-16-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I wouldn't feel too bad about not weighing him right off- I virtually ALWAYS forget to do that- my main focus is always the animal's comfort (keeping stress to a minimum) & their sense of security- & quite honestly, your snake's weight isn't going to change noticeably with one or 2 meals anyway. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
    I have always forgotten to do this with my HD burm, and when I remember i realize that I likely don't have a large enough scale each time!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wanik4 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-21-2023),OatBoii (03-16-2023)

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast