Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 600

1 members and 599 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

Re: First Monitor Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Erie_herps View Post
    Most of what I read says that they are a lot of work, but none of them actually give any detailed information of why or what that work is. So I'm going to try to find someone with experience to give me a better idea of what's involved with caring for them.
    My off-hand thoughts: Meeting their physical needs (very large space, part humid, part dry, & proper heat), keeping it clean (think about the output of a large active creature that's probably going to run thru stuff, ahem), plus the challenge of handling the animal itself. They climb, they dig, & they can live 15-20 years. I've read they need substrate that's at least a foot deep, & that's not going to be easy or cheap to replace in such a large tank/enclosure, while not keeping it clean enough is a recipe for a sick lizard.

Consider the high cost of both the animal & all it's needs for life, including exotic vet care. Their most likely health issues are MBD, parasites (from wild food sources), & obesity (preventable). Try to consider where you'll be in 5 or 10 years- will you still want this animal in your life or will it interfere with other plans you have, including interpersonal/social plans. As an intelligent lizard, they're said to need a fair amount of mental stimulation to avoid self-destructive behaviors (like nose-rubbing etc.)- so consider how much time you have also.

I'd read ALL the "care" sources you can find because they don't all mention the same things in just the same way, & try to read between the lines. And if you can find & talk to some with experience, by all means do that. Only you know what you'll be happy with- and what fits your life, your budget, & all your future plans. The right pets enrich our lives- the wrong ones sadly become a burden.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-16-2023),Erie_herps (03-16-2023),Homebody (03-16-2023)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12