Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 533

0 members and 533 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

First Monitor Advice

I've been considering getting a monitor for a while and just now I think I'll be able to actually get them. I think I'm decided on ackie monitors (and I'm strongly considering getting Kimberley's sometime later, if I could find them under $500-$700 each I might get them first). I have space for a 5'x3' enclosure (I could go up to 5' high). I would like to breed them since I've read that it's relatively easy and it seems very rewarding. Would the best combo for this enclosure be a 1.1 pair, a 1.2 group, or would it just be better to get one? I'm also planning on building the enclosure myself, so if anyone has any good links, videos, or advice I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    I hope you get some input- I don't recall recent posts about monitors here? Sound like you're giving it a lot of thought though- we'll look forward to your updates.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Erie_herps (03-13-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: First Monitor Advice

OP, what other species have you worked with (snakes and lizards), what kind of time do you have, and what's your patience level?

Additionally, do you plan on handling a monitor/the monitors you get, or will they just be display animals?

That will help a lot.

My two cents, unless you have a lot of time and patience, monitors can be handful. Generally, Ackies are the easiest small monitor to work with, but the key word is work. Monitor lizards are smart, and not super trusting most of the time, certainly at first. It's not just about getting them used to handling, like say, a Leopard Gecko, a Blue Tongue Skink, or a bearded Dragon. Certainly nothing like many snakes who get accustomed to handling quickly and tolerate it well.

I had a dwarf tree monitor - rare and small, but a handful! Crazy girl. She never calmed down, would bite, tail whip, leap out of her cage, and waste on me. Never calmed down. I tried, but couldn't build the trust. Some are just like that. Ackies are supposed to be better, but overall, monitors need a ton of work and patience. Certainly the smaller ones never really get accustomed to handling. If you are lucky, they won't scratch, bite, whip you, or waste on you. If you are good and get lucky with one, they can be a pleasure, but need continued work.

Not for me, if you can't tell. I gave up my monitor after a year and went with another boa. I just couldn't get her to chill and she was handful on all fronts, getting bigger, and the reward wasn't worth the risk and anxiety.

I prefer more laid back creatures. There are other lizards with intelligence, like Blue Tongue Skinks (I have one, Frank), who are more sociable, but still know their keepers by sight.

Anyway, I really went on here. To be clear, I am not telling you not to get a monitor, but want you to be prepared and know what you are getting into. It's a lot of work.

If can help in any way, please let me know. I learned a lot during the year I had my monitor. I also know a few people who have larger monitors and have good experiences. I also know others who don't, and some are the same people. X worked with one monitor, but the others, not so much.

EDIT: Regarding Kimberly Rock Monitors, I have yet to hear of or see one that isn't very shy, frenetic, and fast.
    Last edited by dakski; 03-13-2023 at 07:21 PM.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Animallover3541 (03-14-2023),Bogertophis (03-13-2023),Erie_herps (03-14-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    OP, what other species have you worked with (snakes and lizards), what kind of time do you have, and what's your patience level?

Additionally, do you plan on handling a monitor/the monitors you get, or will they just be display animals?

That will help a lot.

My two cents, unless you have a lot of time and patience, monitors can be handful. Generally, Ackies are the easiest small monitor to work with, but the key word is work. Monitor lizards are smart, and not super trusting most of the time, certainly at first. It's not just about getting them used to handling, like say, a Leopard Gecko, a Blue Tongue Skink, or a bearded Dragon. Certainly nothing like many snakes who get accustomed to handling quickly and tolerate it well.

I had a dwarf tree monitor - rare and small, but a handful! Crazy girl. She never calmed down, would bite, tail whip, leap out of her cage, and waste on me. Never calmed down. I tried, but couldn't build the trust. Some are just like that. Ackies are supposed to be better, but overall, monitors need a ton of work and patience. Certainly the smaller ones never really get accustomed to handling. If you are lucky, they won't scratch, bite, whip you, or waste on you. If you are good and get lucky with one, they can be a pleasure, but need continued work.

Not for me, if you can't tell. I gave up my monitor after a year and went with another boa. I just couldn't get her to chill and she was handful on all fronts, getting bigger, and the reward wasn't worth the risk and anxiety.

I prefer more laid back creatures. There are other lizards with intelligence, like Blue Tongue Skinks (I have one, Frank), who are more sociable, but still know their keepers by sight.

Anyway, I really went on here. To be clear, I am not telling you not to get a monitor, but want you to be prepared and know what you are getting into. It's a lot of work.

If can help in any way, please let me know. I learned a lot during the year I had my monitor. I also know a few people who have larger monitors and have good experiences. I also know others who don't, and some are the same people. X worked with one monitor, but the others, not so much.

EDIT: Regarding Kimberly Rock Monitors, I have yet to hear of or see one that isn't very shy, frenetic, and fast.
    I've had crested and leopard geckos for a few years and I've very recently (within the past few months) gotten sand boas and a hognose. I'm willing to put some time into them (maybe like 15-30 min a day), I'm relatively patient and willing to spend some time working with them. If I got ackies I would definitely want to handle them relatively frequently.

Your experiences do help a lot, I've done reading and watched videos on these, but nobody has really gone into detail about some of the challenges with them. Do you think the age of the monitor would make a difference? Like, getting a younger one would help get it used to you compared to an older one.

I'm not super interested in other lizards, overall they are a lot of work and money compared to snakes, so I'm not planning on getting any more except if they really interest me and I think they will be rewarding to keep. For some reason, blue tongued skinks and other large lizards (except monitors, they have always seemed super interesting to me) have never been appealing to keep.

I'm pretty sure that I'll wait on kimberley rock monitors at least until i have some experience with ackies (if I end up getting them), and from there I can make a better decision.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Erie_herps View Post
    I've had crested and leopard geckos for a few years and I've very recently (within the past few months) gotten sand boas and a hognose. I'm willing to put some time into them (maybe like 15-30 min a day), I'm relatively patient and willing to spend some time working with them. If I got ackies I would definitely want to handle them relatively frequently.

15-30 minutes of interaction several times a week, once trust is built, is probably good. However, a lot of monitor interaction is in the tank. Feeding off tongs, letting them climb on you and enjoy your company, etc. Not necessarily handling. Most monitors will climb around on you, but that's not always a good thing - i.e. they are fast and can take off. Additionally, many monitors don't like being handled/held, certainly for a prolonged period, and that can actually hurt trust. These are animals that you need to build trust with, but also keep trust. Additionally, very sharp nails aren't really conducive to handling, and if they get scared, wasting, biting, and tail whipping, are all options.

If you want a lizard to handle, I wouldn't be looking at a monitor. That's me.

Your experiences do help a lot, I've done reading and watched videos on these, but nobody has really gone into detail about some of the challenges with them. Do you think the age of the monitor would make a difference? Like, getting a younger one would help get it used to you compared to an older one.

​50/50. Younger you can build trust with, but they can flighty and you can hurt trust easily too. Older and used to people can be good, but only if treated correctly and your continue what was successful before.

I'm not super interested in other lizards, overall they are a lot of work and money compared to snakes, so I'm not planning on getting any more except if they really interest me and I think they will be rewarding to keep. For some reason, blue tongued skinks and other large lizards (except monitors, they have always seemed super interesting to me) have never been appealing to keep.

Monitors are a lot of work. They eat a lot, waste a lot, are diurnal (so you need to spend time with them during the day), and need continued work. It's not like you can spend time when they are young and then ignore them and they will be fine. Repetition is important. My BP for example. When she fasts in the winter, I leave her alone for weeks at a time. She doesn't care and is fine when I go to pick her up, whenever I decide to or need to. Monitors, not as much.

Some people find that appealing, but they are a long-term commitment. Life can change, and if it does, and you cannot spend the time or energy with them, feed them regularly and a lot, etc. they are not an ideal reptile to keep.

I'm pretty sure that I'll wait on kimberley rock monitors at least until i have some experience with ackies (if I end up getting them), and from there I can make a better decision.

See answers above in BLUE.

I definitely would wait on a Kimberley Rock Monitor until you are very comfortable with ackies. Even then, I'd probably advise against it unless you are very experienced and willing to put in a lot more time and effort on top of the ackies.

Ackies can be awesome in their own right, but I'd rather something I can handle, interact with easily, and not have to interact with regularly. I have 9 reptiles and health issues. For me, the time and effort wasn't worth the reward. It probably wouldn't have been even if my monitor had calmed down.

I recently re-homed my two rhacodactylus lizards because they were a ton of work compared to my other reptiles. In fact, they took about 50% of my reptile time in terms of feeding, cleaning, etc. They are easy compared to monitors.

I should also point the cost of feeding, the frequency of feeding (again), the diversity in diet, the heat requirements (very hot basking spot and huge temp variance - cooler at night and a low cool spot comparatively), the need for clean and fresh wood/rocks to climb on and keep the nails in good shape, etc.

Again, it's your choice and I am not trying to project. However, it's a big commitment, and frankly, your current collection likely will not have prepared you for monitors. Not sure what would, but that's another story.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-16-2023),Erie_herps (03-16-2023),GoingPostal (03-15-2023),Homebody (03-14-2023),OatBoii (03-14-2023)

Thanks

See answers above in BLUE.

I definitely would wait on a Kimberley Rock Monitor until you are very comfortable with ackies. Even then, I'd probably advise against it unless you are very experienced and willing to put in a lot more time and effort on top of the ackies.

Ackies can be awesome in their own right, but I'd rather something I can handle, interact with easily, and not have to interact with regularly. I have 9 reptiles and health issues. For me, the time and effort wasn't worth the reward. It probably wouldn't have been even if my monitor had calmed down.

I recently re-homed my two rhacodactylus lizards because they were a ton of work compared to my other reptiles. In fact, they took about 50% of my reptile time in terms of feeding, cleaning, etc. They are easy compared to monitors.

I should also point the cost of feeding, the frequency of feeding (again), the diversity in diet, the heat requirements (very hot basking spot and huge temp variance - cooler at night and a low cool spot comparatively), the need for clean and fresh wood/rocks to climb on and keep the nails in good shape, etc.

Again, it's your choice and I am not trying to project. However, it's a big commitment, and frankly, your current collection likely will not have prepared you for monitors. Not sure what would, but that's another story.

This gives me a lot to consider. I'm going to do a lot of research for a while and try to figure out if they would be a good choice or not.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-16-2023)

Thanks

This gives me a lot to consider. I'm going to do a lot of research for a while and try to figure out if they would be a good choice or not.
    Good that you are thinking on it. Again, it's a decision only you can make. I've been keeping reptiles for over 30 years and having a monitor was a lot.

I would also recommend going to a reptile pet store (not sure where you live or what's near you) and seeing some in action. Alternatively, there are reptile zoos and shops/zoos who bring animals to homes and businesses, etc. to show people and educated. I'd look around and see if you can see some Ackies, maybe hold one, feed one, etc. That could help, although keep in mind that keepers who bring them to homes etc. probably have worked with them a lot.

Ask around. Also, see if there are some good books out there. I haven't looked in a while, but specifically on keeping dwarf monitors, might make sense.

Finally, speak with some breeders. See if they give you an honest idea of what they are like. If they say, "oh, they are easy." They probably want to sell a monitor. If they go into how to work with them though, that could be helpful.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-16-2023),Erie_herps (03-16-2023),Homebody (03-16-2023)

Thanks

Good that you are thinking on it. Again, it's a decision only you can make. I've been keeping reptiles for over 30 years and having a monitor was a lot.

I would also recommend going to a reptile pet store (not sure where you live or what's near you) and seeing some in action. Alternatively, there are reptile zoos and shops/zoos who bring animals to homes and businesses, etc. to show people and educated. I'd look around and see if you can see some Ackies, maybe hold one, feed one, etc. That could help, although keep in mind that keepers who bring them to homes etc. probably have worked with them a lot.

Ask around. Also, see if there are some good books out there. I haven't looked in a while, but specifically on keeping dwarf monitors, might make sense.

Finally, speak with some breeders. See if they give you an honest idea of what they are like. If they say, "oh, they are easy." They probably want to sell a monitor. If they go into how to work with them though, that could be helpful.
    There aren't any good reptile stores near me (just the large chain pet stores that we all know of). I do volunteer at a zoo, and I know a couple somewhat-local breeders pretty well (who might know someone who has monitors), so if I ask around I could probably find someone with monitor experience.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

There aren't any good reptile stores near me (just the large chain pet stores that we all know of). I do volunteer at a zoo, and I know a couple somewhat-local breeders pretty well (who might know someone who has monitors), so if I ask around I could probably find someone with monitor experience.
    Good idea. Lizards are generally more work than snakes, & the larger, more intelligent ones are exponentially more work. I can see where monitors are appealing but be sure you know what you're in for to care for them- I guarantee I'll never be jealous, lol. But- we don't all like the same things in our pets- so just really research them before you dive in.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-16-2023),Erie_herps (03-16-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Lizards are generally more work than snakes, & the larger, more intelligent ones are exponentially more work. I can see where monitors are appealing but be sure you know what you're in for to care for them
    Most of what I read says that they are a lot of work, but none of them actually give any detailed information of why or what that work is. So I'm going to try to find someone with experience to give me a better idea of what's involved with caring for them.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-16-2023)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast