Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,028

1 members and 3,027 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Reserved Activity

My 11 year old python isn't pooping that often. I was always told to wait until they poop before feeding them again, is this always the case? For example, it has been 10 days since she last ate and is due to eat again. I always fed her every 10 days since she was about 6 years old. Her activity level is very low.

However, she still has never refused a meal. Can this indicate malnutrition, not being fed enough?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,175 Posts

Re: Reserved Activity

Quote Originally Posted by leosantare View Post
    My 11 year old python isn't pooping that often. I was always told to wait until they poop before feeding them again, is this always the case?
    With young pythons, I'm pretty sure this is never the case. Older pythons don't eat as often, so this might work. I would just feed her on schedule without worrying whether she's pooped or not.

What species of python is she? What size and type of feeder does she regularly eat? A recent picture would help us give you the best advice.
    Last edited by Homebody; 03-12-2023 at 06:57 AM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-12-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    I agree, this question most often comes up regarding young snakes, because the younger prey they consume is typically digested more thoroughly than more mature prey animals, leaving very little waste left over that needs to be expelled. Please clarify what YOU mean by "not that often" as that phrase means different things to different people.

I know some keepers like to feed this way (waiting for a snake to defecate before feeding again) & this method tends to keep snakes on the slim side. I personally feed on a fairly regular (but not exact) "schedule", regardless of output.

@ leosantare: more information about your snake (what species?) and your set-up (what are the temperatures & how are you measuring them?) would help us answer you much better. For example, if your snake is kept a little too cool, THAT is actually what slows down both their digestion AND their activity. If your home is colder in winter months, it's possible that the snake's enclosure was never adjusted for proper warmth, for example.

You've had this snake for 11 years...so you are in the best position to recognize any change in routines with your snake, & you seem to have a sense that something is amiss here. I think it's time to make sure you're providing the correct temperatures & size prey, etc.- don't you? Snakes are very subtle- they can't easily indicate their discomfort- they tend to suffer in silence if they're too chilly to digest well or if they have any sort of illness going on. May I suggest you post more information (& pictures please, of both snake & enclosure). We love "specifics" here.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (03-12-2023)

Thanks

She is a 9ft+ boelens python and weighs 8.0kg. A few months ago I increased her rat size from 245-275g to 275-300g. I always get my rats from Rodent Pro and weigh every one making sure they are within spec. Again, I feed every 10 days and always have since she was about 6 years old.

I should mention, I already had her to the vet multiple times. They assure me that she is OK and they are not concerned at this time. Her repeated bloodwork and fecal came back normal 2 weeks ago. There was no mention of body inclusions this time with the bloodwork. I originally took her to the vet because there was a little blood coming from her mouth. This was 6 months ago. My vet thought possible early mouth rot and gave her a course of antibiotics. Before the antibiotics were started they did bloodwork. It showed elevated white blood count, (indicating she was fighting an infection) and possible body inclusions.

I did change her temps by about 1 degree within the past 6 months. I had to replace a hidebox that sits under the heat source. This hidebox is about 3" taller than the previous one. Therefore, I lowered the temp by one degree. The Temps are 73-90 degrees. Despite her having a very large enclosure, she only has two options for temperature. The entire ground of the enclosure being in the mid 70s and ontop of her hide being 90 degrees.

Again, I just want to make sure that I'm feeding appropriately and her body condition is good. I was thinking if she hasn't pooped yet it's because she needed all the nutrients and there was nothing left for waste. If I am underfeeding her, this could explain the very low activity.

Thank you,

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leosantare For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-12-2023),Homebody (03-13-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,175 Posts

I don't think my little bit of experience with ball and Children's pythons will help me advise you, and I don't know of any Boelen's python keepers. At least none that check in regularly. Maybe the scrub keepers will hazard their opinions. Scrubs are pretty closely related I think.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)