Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,060

3 members and 3,057 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Registered User Animallover3541's Avatar
    Thanks

Best Cage Lighting?

So I will be upgrading to a 48x20x20 ABS enclosure from The Reptile Factory for my bp soon, and while I have a Pro Heat panel ordered (although I mailed the check on the 1st and haven't heard back yet...?) Anyways, what is the best LED in cage lighting? I would prefer something cost affective but also durable. Thanks!
    1.0.0 Red Stripe BP (Noodle)
    0.1.0 T. d. elegans (Carole)
    0.1.0 Fawn English Angora Rabbit (Petunia)
    0.1.0 Domestic Cat (Winnie)

"Life is better with a snake."

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Re: Best Cage Lighting?

Quote Originally Posted by Animallover3541 View Post
    So I will be upgrading to a 48x20x20 ABS enclosure from The Reptile Factory for my bp soon, and while I have a Pro Heat panel ordered (although I mailed the check on the 1st and haven't heard back yet...?) Anyways, what is the best LED in cage lighting? I would prefer something cost affective but also durable. Thanks!
    Take your pick.
    https://www.amazon.com/led-strip-lig...d+strip+lights

I've used several types and all seem comparable.

Just make sure your secure them with something other than tape and the the stick strip on the back. Cut the strip to the proper length and you are set.

I use a staple gun and others use hot glue.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Homebody (03-10-2023)

Registered User Animallover3541's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Take your pick.
    https://www.amazon.com/led-strip-lig...d+strip+lights

I've used several types and all seem comparable.

Just make sure your secure them with something other than tape and the the stick strip on the back. Cut the strip to the proper length and you are set.

I use a staple gun and others use hot glue.
    I actually have some old LED light strips my boyfriend got me as a “moving in gift” but I was unable to install them because my room is shaped weird. The only thing that makes me nervous is the possibility that they might come into contact with water when I mist the enclosure. Is there anything I can do to protect them?
    1.0.0 Red Stripe BP (Noodle)
    0.1.0 T. d. elegans (Carole)
    0.1.0 Fawn English Angora Rabbit (Petunia)
    0.1.0 Domestic Cat (Winnie)

"Life is better with a snake."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Animallover3541 View Post
    I actually have some old LED light strips my boyfriend got me as a “moving in gift” but I was unable to install them because my room is shaped weird. The only thing that makes me nervous is the possibility that they might come into contact with water when I mist the enclosure. Is there anything I can do to protect them?
    I've not had issues with water. I think you'll be OK unless you directly spray them. A lot of them are water resistant too.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-10-2023),Homebody (03-10-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 399 Posts
    I use these (bought six years ago) in my Animal Plastics enclosures:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I only use dimmable, normal spectrum lights on animals, so these fit the bill. They have stood up to condensing conditions (rainbow boas), so should be fine regarding the water in a BP enclosure.

Low voltage DC lights are pretty safe inside enclosures. Extreme water contact could blow out the power supply. A safer fixture would have at least an IP64 water resistance rating (sealed against dust, and against splashed water). Many modern fish tank lights (newer Fluvals, Nicrews) are IP67 (one meter immersion), so if a person is very concerned about water safety that might be something to look into.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-10-2023),Gio (03-10-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    I use these (bought six years ago) in my Animal Plastics enclosures:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I only use dimmable, normal spectrum lights on animals, so these fit the bill. They have stood up to condensing conditions (rainbow boas), so should be fine regarding the water in a BP enclosure.

Low voltage DC lights are pretty safe inside enclosures. Extreme water contact could blow out the power supply. A safer fixture would have at least an IP64 water resistance rating (sealed against dust, and against splashed water). Many modern fish tank lights (newer Fluvals, Nicrews) are IP67 (one meter immersion), so if a person is very concerned about water safety that might be something to look into.
    I like those!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (03-10-2023)