Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,767

0 members and 2,767 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips & Tricks

Thanks

Tips & Tricks

i’ve had this in mind before but I don’t think I committed to making a thread about this but wanted to start a thread which catalogues experiences with giant python species as they relate to using little techniques in certain situations - felt this could be real fun and useful

1) trick: tickling the side of mouth
    situation: when bitten and/or coiled
    purpose: to prompt release
    observation: so this has happened to me 2 times to date involving both mainland and dwarf male Burms who i was handling with one arm and they bit/coil flexed - so i took my index finger and tickled the side of their mouth basically where their mouth forms an angle - it really seemed to freak them out lol

2) trick: tickling the tip of their tail or “rolling” it between index and thumb
    situation: when coiled around an appendage
    purpose: to prompt them to move on
    observation: this does relate to point 1 because after the above i stuck my arm in their enclosure and tickled their tails which likewise seemed to really freak them out and prompted them to bolt off my arm whereas previously they weren’t to game

because of the 1st experience with the dwarf i was more prepared for the 2nd with the mainland so i was more methodical that time and i do plan to post my experiences if this should happen again using this combo as like a formal strategy

but post anything you like - who knows what could happen
    het for nothing but groovy

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-10-2023),Homebody (03-10-2023)

Thanks
    i recognize that it could be said that the 2 situations were coincidental or flukes however if this can be replicated an additional 3rd time with a different snake then i think we’d be getting somewhere - plus i also assume that all sorts of people probably already do/know this so my OP is not to suggest that i’m like an innovator or something lol

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    I've never thought of or tried "tickling" the side of a snake's mouth to effect a release- that's interesting- but the tail tip thing, I've been using that for many years- never thought much about mentioning it, so I'm glad you did- it's very effective & I suppose I just thought everyone knew that. I just touch the tail tip- no "rolling"- & it does make most any snake go forward- I'd assume it triggers their instinct to get away from predators that often try to grab a tail tip.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (03-10-2023),Homebody (03-10-2023),YungRasputin (03-10-2023)

Thanks

Re: Tips & Tricks

Personally, while this could change, I've never been bitten by anybody the 3 snakes I've had or currently have. Yesterday in a posting commented on little things that might matter, and while my response here doesn't address this tickling or tail thing I'll chime in.

When it comes to food and my H.D. burm, I've never nor will I ever let him strike at a prey item. He'll eat a rock if I feed it to him, so I quickly open opposite end of enclosure, use long tongs to quickly place on rock and walk away. It happens so quickly I'm usually oit of sight and watch him smell and seek it out. Sure they instinctually know that reaction and my breeder probably did this, but its my opportunity to not associate my giant python with me and that action, ever. I could care less about a snake grabbing a food item and cooling it up for me to see, because that is what I hear people saying is happening to their arms.

I remember Garrett from ROR making a video where he said if a snake like a retic wraps you up, and ypu have access, you can bite their tail and they should release. So yes, tail is very sensitive, you've seen how they like to prod and poke the spike end on you when they are exploring?

Point is, and I hope it works, my hand never goes inside my burms enclosure ever if he's in it. I have a huge golf club w a hook on it I use to get him out and he gets draped over my arm the exact same way he's taken out every time. He comes out if I change his water, and he never gets a chance to strike for food.

Maybe it'll work for you, just my experience, but it's worked for me. We'll see if he stays chill as he gets older. Rn he's not given me the slightest hint of anything more than chill mode.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wanik4 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-10-2023),Homebody (03-10-2023),YungRasputin (03-11-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wanik4 View Post
    Personally, while this could change, I've never been bitten by anybody the 3 snakes I've had or currently have. Yesterday in a posting commented on little things that might matter, and while my response here doesn't address this tickling or tail thing I'll chime in.
    the purpose of this thread is just for people who own giant python species to post things they do in specific situations - i would hope for greater participation beyond what I’ve said and i promise to try to keep debates to a minimum hehe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by YungRasputin View Post
    the purpose of this thread is just for people who own giant python species to post things they do in specific situations - i would hope for greater participation beyond what I’ve said and i promise to try to keep debates to a minimum hehe
    How does this apply to what I said

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wanik4 View Post
    How does this apply to what I said

maybe it was a misreading on my part but the selected quote in my previous post left me feeling like it was assumed that the thread was to only be about my OP so i said this

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I've never thought of or tried "tickling" the side of a snake's mouth to effect a release- that's interesting- but the tail tip thing, I've been using that for many years- never thought much about mentioning it, so I'm glad you did- it's very effective & I suppose I just thought everyone knew that. I just touch the tail tip- no "rolling"- & it does make most any snake go forward- I'd assume it triggers their instinct to get away from predators that often try to grab a tail tip.
    rolling is actually probably a bad way to phrase this in hindsight but it’s more like “rocking” because if you imagine my index finger as a straight line and my thumb as a perpendicular line to my index i basically rock the tip back and forth via my thumb gentler going over the tip in a sort of perpendicular stroke so i’m not like rolling or twisting or nothing - which not saying you’re saying this but i just wanted to rephrase
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 03-12-2023 at 10:13 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-12-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YungRasputin View Post
    rolling is actually probably a bad way to phrase this in hindsight but it’s more like “rocking” because if you imagine my index finger as a straight line and my thumb as a perpendicular line to my index i basically rock the tip back and forth so i’m not like rolling or twisting or nothing - which not saying you’re saying this but i just wanted to rephrase
    That's okay, I never imagined you meant anything hurtful- & I think most any tail touching gets a snake's attention. That's been my experience with snakes OTHER than giant pythons, anyway.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

YungRasputin (03-12-2023)

Thanks
    been doing something with my female mainland burm - was curious if anyone has tried this

trick: extended touching
    purpose: to acclimate the specimen in question to human physical contact
    observations: my female has been a challenge to socialize however what i have found to be working is simple laying hands on her and keeping them there for extended periods of time irrespective of what she does (hiss, huff, puff, etc) - this is to show that i am both not intimidated nor am i threat

at first she was real defensive but we’re slowly approaching a point where she is shifting from being bothered to i think curious - judging from tongue movements - i have been doing this for a couple weeks now, multiple times a day, every day (which i think this consistency is key)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast