Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,835

3 members and 2,832 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User FettuccineEnjoyer's Avatar
    Thanks

Final Enclosure Check

After failing to create decent living condition for my ball Python the first time (See the thread “BP Heat Trouble”) I’ve redone the entire thing and started over. Deciding against adding the decor to the enclosure until I’m sure the temps are correct. Im looking for a second opinion at the moment. Btw, the BP is not in my care yet, I’m trying to get things stable before I obtain him. So far, I’ve…

• Added a CHE on the warm end an UTH on the cool end.
    • insulated 3 sides with foam poster board and placed foil tape on the sides facing the enclosure, so heat may be reflected back in before being insulated.
    • Currently the warm side is sitting at an air temp of 29C and surface temp of 30C. The cool side has an air temp of 27 and surface temp of 26.
    • Taped aluminum foil to the top of each screen lid.
    • Have the humidity sitting at 80% (If all goes well I’ll get actually obtain the BP in a week, so it’ll have time to go down.
    • Taped a half of a wooden metre stick to each side on the bottom, equating to a bit less than a 1/4” of clearance for the cord and mat.

I also have a potential hazards I’d like an opinion on.
    • Small stick-on hooks I’m using to hold the wires in place. Currently they’re all out of reach of a BP expect for 1 near the far back hidden under substrate.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,164 Posts

Re: Final Enclosure Check

Quote Originally Posted by FettuccineEnjoyer View Post
    After failing to create decent living condition for my ball Python the first time (See the thread “BP Heat Trouble”) I’ve redone the entire thing and started over. Deciding against adding the decor to the enclosure until I’m sure the temps are correct. Im looking for a second opinion at the moment. Btw, the BP is not in my care yet, I’m trying to get things stable before I obtain him. So far, I’ve…

• Added a CHE on the warm end an UTH on the cool end.
    • insulated 3 sides with foam poster board and placed foil tape on the sides facing the enclosure, so heat may be reflected back in before being insulated.
    • Currently the warm side is sitting at an air temp of 29C and surface temp of 30C. The cool side has an air temp of 27 and surface temp of 26.
    • Taped aluminum foil to the top of each screen lid.
    • Have the humidity sitting at 80% (If all goes well I’ll get actually obtain the BP in a week, so it’ll have time to go down.
    • Taped a half of a wooden metre stick to each side on the bottom, equating to a bit less than a 1/4” of clearance for the cord and mat.

I also have a potential hazards I’d like an opinion on.
    • Small stick-on hooks I’m using to hold the wires in place. Currently they’re all out of reach of a BP expect for 1 near the far back hidden under substrate.

Temps sound good. Stick on hooks don't. I had a temp/humidity gauge in my BP's enclosure. The gauge was attached to the side of the enclosure with velcro but the velcro was stuck on the gauge. One day, I found the velcro on the other side of the enclosure. Somehow, he managed to remove the gauge from the side of the enclosure and the velcro from the back of the gauge. So, when people say no tape in the enclosure because your snake will find a way to get stuck to it, I believe them. Post a pic of your current set up, and maybe we'll be able to suggest some alternatives.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-06-2023),FettuccineEnjoyer (03-06-2023),Zincubus (03-07-2023)

Thanks

I am unable to post a picture of my setup due to being on a mobile device, along with being bad with tech in general. Though the sticky hooks are all stuck right at the very top of the enclosure, except for the one I mentioned. That one is hidden beneath the substrate. Though I’d be happy to know about other options for keeping it in place. Also, there will only be a single branch in the enclosure that would reach high enough to touch the hooks, though it is in the centre of the tank and out of reach of the walls.

Thanks

I am unable to post a picture of my setup due to being on a mobile device, along with being bad with tech in general. Though the sticky hooks are all stuck right at the very top of the enclosure, except for the one I mentioned. That one is hidden beneath the substrate. Though I’d be happy to know about other options for keeping it in place. Also, there will only be a single branch in the enclosure that would reach high enough to touch the hooks, though it is in the centre of the tank and out of reach of the walls.
    The same BP had a strip of LED lights stuck to the sides right at the very top of the enclosure . He never messed with them. So, you might be alright. However, when I replaced the BP with a Children's python, I removed the LED strip. Children's pythons are more arboreal, so I didn't want to chance it.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-06-2023),FettuccineEnjoyer (03-06-2023)

Thanks

You might be able to use magnets. A quick search found these magnet hooks or these suction hooks.
    Last edited by Homebody; 03-05-2023 at 10:41 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

FettuccineEnjoyer (03-06-2023)

Thanks
    Thanks for the help. I got rid of the hook in question and decided to just use a hide to keep it in place.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FettuccineEnjoyer For This Useful Post:

Homebody (03-06-2023)

Thanks

Hot glue also works- and once dry it won’t be an issue if the snake ever does break it loose. However it’s kinda a pain to clean around (ask me how I know &#128521

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Missiepixie For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-06-2023),FettuccineEnjoyer (03-06-2023),Homebody (03-06-2023),Zincubus (03-06-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Missiepixie View Post
    Hot glue also works- and once dry it won’t be an issue if the snake ever does break it loose. However it’s kinda a pain to clean around (ask me how I know )
    Yeah , hot glue is fabulous and it hardens almost immediately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-06-2023)

Thanks
    Hot glue would be a massive pain to add at the moment. I don’t doubt that it works, but due to the area I need it in being quite far from the outlet and the decor already being inside (I just put it in last night since I deemed everything finished) it would be a huge hassle. Besides, I have a hide weighing it down to keep it in place, so I think we’re good here.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to FettuccineEnjoyer For This Useful Post:

Homebody (03-06-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Hot glue would be a massive pain to add at the moment. I don’t doubt that it works, but due to the area I need it in being quite far from the outlet and the decor already being inside (I just put it in last night since I deemed everything finished) it would be a huge hassle. Besides, I have a hide weighing it down to keep it in place, so I think we’re good here.
    I hope you're right, but from my own personal experience, not to mention reading that of so many others here over the years, I find that leaving something to chance around snakes that are always moving & testing their environment (like when you're asleep & unaware of their activity) isn't worth the gamble. Hides are frequently moved around. Health & safety comes first for me- even when something's a hassle to fix- I just sleep better that way. Your choice of course- we all have a different definition of "huge hassle".
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

FettuccineEnjoyer (03-06-2023)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast