Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,482

1 members and 2,481 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Question First BP, confused about thermostats

I'm getting ready to get my first ball python (first pet reptile). I wanna set up the enclosure before buying the snake and run it for a few days, but I have some questions about heating and thermostats.
    I was thinking of using just DHP to heat up the enclosure, and if that's not enough I'll do DHP + Halogen, but I'm confused about the probe placement in that scenario. Would it be between the two heating sources? Or do I need 1 thermostat per heating source?

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: First BP, confused about thermostats

Greetings!

The 'standard' ball python enclosure setup:
    -Will have one Under-Tank-Heating (UTH) Pad with a thermostat probe in between the enclosure and the external heat mat.
    -Will have one Overhead heat source (CHE or DHP) with a thermostat probe hot glued (never taped) to the inside of the enclosure at an appropriate height.

Most configs: Every heat source will have its own thermostat.
    Exceptions: Some thermostats have multiple zones with separate probes. Some setups are using identical equipment/wattage which can be used on the same thermostat.

For a ball python enclosure it seems unusual to have two overhead heat sources (since belly heat is favorable for digestion).

Just my two cents.
    *.* TNTC

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-03-2023),Homebody (03-03-2023),Malum Argenteum (03-03-2023)

Thanks

Im a bit wary of UTH because I've heard it more easily burns the snake On the other hand I've seen people say it wont heat properly through a PVC enclosure + substrate...

Its honestly been so confusing to research the topic of BP husbandry, there's a lot of contradictory info online. I've seen setups like the ones you described, others with 2 overhead heaters, UVB, no UVB, etc, I never feel like I'm ready

Thanks
    Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,176 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lunna View Post
    Im a bit wary of UTH because I've heard it more easily burns the snake On the other hand I've seen people say it wont heat properly through a PVC enclosure + substrate...

Its honestly been so confusing to research the topic of BP husbandry, there's a lot of contradictory info online. I've seen setups like the ones you described, others with 2 overhead heaters, UVB, no UVB, etc, I never feel like I'm ready
    For ball pythons, a UTH, regulated by a thermostat, is safe. I've used UTHs for three years without incident. You are correct, however, that a UTH will struggle to heat through pvc and substrate. It'll heat through the pvc just fine, but, not a through a thick layer of substrate. The answer is to thin, or remove entirely, the substrate that's over the UTH.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-03-2023),Lunna (03-03-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    I've used multiple UTH for a great many snakes for decades, & never burned even one snake. ANY heating device can injure a snake if it's not regulated.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (03-03-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,077 Times in 414 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lunna View Post
    a PVC enclosure + substrate...
    The most suitable heat source for a PVC enclosure, IMO, is a radiant heat panel. No need to cut holes in the enclosure, no risk of burning, no rigging up protective caging around a heat element, and they provide a natural/gradual heat gradient.

I use UTHs on about a hundred tub in rack enclosures with great results, but on PVC enclosures RHPs are the way to go. Both VE and ProHeat panels are good in my experience (though I'd choose ProHeats going forward), and between VE and Herpstat thermostats (the two top choices, both of which I've used multiple examples of for years), I'll choose the Herpstat every time.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-03-2023),Homebody (03-03-2023),Lunna (03-04-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    Both VE and ProHeat panels are good in my experience (though I'd choose ProHeats going forward), and between VE and Herpstat thermostats (the two top choices, both of which I've used multiple examples of for years), I'll choose the Herpstat every time.
    Thats actually my greatest problem rn, Im european so even tho I've heard wonders about those brands, they don't ship here. I was thinking about the arcadia DHP because everyone says it's great and I can actually get my hands on it, but I'm currently researching how good the Reptirad RHP is and I might change to that based on reviews.

I'm still trying to find good alternatives for the thermostat