Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,207

2 members and 3,205 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Darwin Carpet Python - Questions

Hello, Morelia forum!

After a recent post of mine debating a BCI/BP, I received a lot of recommendations to look into the Australian pythons, and then I did so. I started to fall hard for carpet pythons, and eventually, came to the conclusion that I think they would be the best fit for me at the moment.

In particular, I am looking at Darwin Carpet Pythons. Inland Reptiles AKA Nick Mutton has a few gorgeous Darwins up right now, and I am strongly considering messaging him to inquire. My only hesitation is that... well... I dont really know how to start that conversation? Do I type it formally, like an email to a professor? But "just chatting" doesnt feel right either... I'd love to ask him not just health/care questions, but also about how he keeps his juvenile Darwins, the personalities of the ones he currently has, if he recommends a male vs a female/if it matters, stuff like that. I guess I'm just not really sure how to start that conversation?

Secondarily, I'm facing a bit of indecisiveness about my enclosure. Where I live, humidity is regularly in the 50-60s even now in the winter, and I use a humidifier in the room I would keep an enclosure would be in as it is. Even with a CHE, I think a good humid substrate + the natural humidity + my household humidifier should mean not too many troubles with humidity. Ergo, I am not very worried about humidity since it seems my natural environment will work just fine, but I am very concerned about heat, particularly ambient heat.

My apartment is just cold, unfortunately. We set the tstat to 73, and it still feels like 68 in here. Be it that the insulation sucks or the heater does, it makes me concerned about having ambient temps up to snuff. It seems to me a tote would be the best option while the DCP is young, but even then, I am unsure about the size of the tote that will be needed (I have 16qt, 32qt, and 66qt all mentioned as young CP enclosures on this forum). I would prefer to have an enclosure I can use for a while, but I have heard conflicting things about the growth rates of CPs in general.

My rough plan was to get a 36x18 tote, the kind that slides under a bed, and then get some heat tape to form my hot spot. However, since I'm so concerned with ambients, I dont know if a tote set up would be the best for me. Especially because I have a cat, and I worry that if I hang up a CHE above a smaller tub, he could jump up using the extra room on the dresser and burn himself. Or, if I keep the tote in a different place if it is smaller, the same problem persists. Plus, I'm not sure at this point that a 36x18 is a good fit for a younger(er) DCP? Maybe if I get any specifics about the current age/length of a potential DCP I could evaluate more, but even then, growth rate is subjective to feeding and genetics, so maybe a 36x18 will work in theory, but is too big/small in practice? I will restate here, for this thread, that I am planning on housing my snake on a dresser that would maximum fit a 36x18 and absolutely no larger. This would last for about a year and some change from now, as once I graduate (roughly this time next year) we will be looking to move to a more permanent rental situation closer to my home. So ideally, the enclosure would work for about a juvenile up to a yearling, maybe 2 years old depending on current age. With the move, I would be upgrading them to (likely) a 4x2x2, but minimum a 3x2x2.

Anyways, back to totes. Would getting a 12"x12" heat tape for the hot side, and another for the cool side work to maintain ambients if I wrap the sides and bottom of the enclosure (minus where the heat tape will be, and one side for viewing) in a type of insulation foam roll? Or would that still not be a viable option to keep temps up?

And, if I am going to have to insulate it regardless, would it be easier for me to just get a glass terrarium and insulate it? Theres no way my cat could jump on top of my dresser if all the space is taken up by a 36x18, it would make it too tall. I wouldnt be worried about putting a CHE on top of it at that point anymore.

Or maybe I could make some sort of insulation foam board box I could place a smaller tote into, but that would take up all the space so he couldnt jump up, and then i could hang a CHE without worrying? I dont know, I'm just kinda throwing out ideas right now. Without knowing what size of tote/tank I need, it's hard to plan around my stinky little cat (he is neither stinky nor little). I adore him, but he can be quite troublesome at times. He's a bit too inquisitive and stubborn for his own good.

I think temps would be much less of a problem in the summer, when it becomes more of a thing to make sure it doesnt get too hot.

I think that's about it for now- I'd like to nail down a good size for tank first, then once I decide what I'm going with, I can get it set up and see what works in practice vs in theory. I appreciate any advice or ideas about what might work out best! Ultimately, I dont mind doing some DIY if that's what I need to do to make sure both my animals will be safe and happy.

Thanks

Re: Darwin Carpet Python - Questions

Wow, lots to digest here. I'll keep it simple. Carpet pythons, in my experience having cared for two, are very forgiving. If you know how to care for any other species you'll be fine, do your research, easy day. Set up the enclosure that works for your situation, dial it in and you'll be fine. Nick Mutton is not a God, I've messaged him about snakes, he responds, like a human, because, well, he just breeds and sells snakes. He's cool, don't freak out, he's not James Hetfield.

My tegu, burm, carpet and BTS stay in my basement. It's 69 down there. They live in PVC enclosures. No room heater. The cages are dialed in based off what the inside of the enclosure needs. My tegu lives in an 8x4 grow tent, with just daytime heat. I recently converted and made a post about how I converted two 4x2s into a 4x2x4, my carpet likes climbing.

My point is that, there are so many dbags in this world who have no business having snakes in the first place and would never go so far as to be on a snake forum to learn. You I don't believe are that person. I think you're understandably but mildly nuking your situation. Like every other wise potential snake parent...set it up, monitor, adjust, dual in, retest and monitor, acquire said noodle, enjoy your new friend.

BTW, I think Star Pythons in Germany has some awesome snakes, and some simple and nice care tips, too.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wanik4 For This Useful Post:

Homebody (03-03-2023),OatBoii (03-03-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts
    Nick is a real good guy. Shoot him a message and he’ll answer all
    your questions and maybe have a phone conversation with you for a couple hours talking about everything you need to know about setting up a baby carpet. Dude is a wealth of information that shares generously. He’s the authority on carpet pythons imo and you can’t go wrong looking to him for a Darwin carpet. He also is coauthor of The More Complete Carpet Python and I couldn’t recommend that book more highly.

also carpet pythons are great. I have four currently and they’re all incredible.
    Last edited by jmcrook; 03-03-2023 at 08:13 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Homebody (03-03-2023),OatBoii (03-03-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,183 Posts

I think you should get a pvc enclosure. They hold heat and humidity well. Dubia Roaches sells a 36 x 18". Set it up with a RHP for the hot side and heat tape to keep the cool side from getting too cool, and I think you should be good.
    Last edited by Homebody; 03-03-2023 at 09:48 AM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (03-03-2023),OatBoii (03-03-2023)

Thanks
    Thank you everyone for your responses! I'll try to be a little less lengthy, xD

I appreciate all the advice, and I'm glad Nick Mutton is an approachable guy. Thank you for pointing out that enclosure to me Homebody- I'm definitely interested! That looks like it would work about perfect.

My one concern is that when looking into RHPs already this week, I found out that they're sold out... well... literally, pretty much everywhere. And if they werent sold out, a long wait was mentioned. Would a 100w CHE set on top work until I could get my hands on an RHP? Also, for an UTH, what size of Heat Tape would be recommended for a 36x18? 12"×12" or 21"×12"?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,183 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OatBoii View Post
    Thank you for pointing out that enclosure to me Homebody- I'm definitely interested! That looks like it would work about perfect.

My one concern is that when looking into RHPs already this week, I found out that they're sold out... well... literally, pretty much everywhere. And if they werent sold out, a long wait was mentioned. Would a 100w CHE set on top work until I could get my hands on an RHP? Also, for an UTH, what size of Heat Tape would be recommended for a 36x18? 12"×12" or 21"×12"?
    See? I told you you'd have to wait. To get just the right snake in just the right set up, you're going to have to be patient.

If however, you just can't wait, I think a 100w CHE would do the trick. You just may need to cover most of the screen to keep in the heat and humidity. I confess I didn't notice this enclosure had a screen top, so it won't work for a RHP anyway. You shouldn't mount a RHP to a screen.

As for the heat tape. I would get a 3 foot length of 12" tape and run it the length of the enclosure. Usually, you use heat tape to create a hot spot, so you only want to heat a third of the enclosure to allow for the proper gradient, but that's not what you're using the tape for. You're using it to ensure the enclosure doesn't get too cold. For this purpose, I'd have it run the length of the enclosure and set the thermostat so it will maintain temps at the lower end of your snake's range. Reptile Basics sells heat tape by the foot.
    Last edited by Homebody; 03-03-2023 at 02:57 PM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-03-2023),OatBoii (03-03-2023)

Thanks

Thank you everyone for your responses! I'll try to be a little less lengthy, xD

I appreciate all the advice, and I'm glad Nick Mutton is an approachable guy. Thank you for pointing out that enclosure to me Homebody- I'm definitely interested! That looks like it would work about perfect.

I've been using DHPs with great results. CHEs always seemed a bit unpredictable and sketchy to me for some reason. Arcadia makes some good ones.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wanik4 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-03-2023),Homebody (03-03-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 420 Posts

In particular, I am looking at Darwin Carpet Pythons. Inland Reptiles AKA Nick Mutton has a few gorgeous Darwins up right now, and I am strongly considering messaging him to inquire. My only hesitation is that... well... I dont really know how to start that conversation? Do I type it formally, like an email to a professor? But "just chatting" doesnt feel right either... I'd love to ask him not just health/care questions, but also about how he keeps his juvenile Darwins, the personalities of the ones he currently has, if he recommends a male vs a female/if it matters, stuff like that. I guess I'm just not really sure how to start that conversation?
    A polite informal email that makes clear that you're a mature serious person who has done some preliminary research is a good way to start with any breeder. Best to get clear on hobby standards of care and the male/female question and that sort of stuff beforehand so as to not come off as a tire kicker.

+1 on getting an ideal enclosure and heating and all that set up first, and then purchasing a snake. They breed these things every day, and it is worth a wait to start out right.

On an RHP: have you contacted Pro Products? They don't have any sort of wait alert up right now that I can see.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    A polite informal email that makes clear that you're a mature serious person who has done some preliminary research is a good way to start with any breeder. Best to get clear on hobby standards of care and the male/female question and that sort of stuff beforehand so as to not come off as a tire kicker.

+1 on getting an ideal enclosure and heating and all that set up first, and then purchasing a snake. They breed these things every day, and it is worth a wait to start out right.

On an RHP: have you contacted Pro Products? They don't have any sort of wait alert up right now that I can see.
    I assumed he did this already...yes...I think Bob is the guy? Mine works like a horse. Best out there.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wanik4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I will look into Pro Products for the future. With the enclosure I'm thinking right now though, it is all screen on top, so no RHP for me. However, the sides, bottom, and back are PVC, so it should help with temps and humidity either way. Probably early next year I will be looking to get on a list for a good sized PVC and RHP combo.

Would an 80w DHP be sufficient to create a hot spot beneath it, and a thermal gradient throughout the rest of a 36x18x18? Can you put a DHP in a normal reptile lamp? I am thinking of putting something like a piece of grapevine beneath it, to allow the snake some climbing space and a place to really bask, but I see that a feature of DHPs is that things beneath them absorb and reflect the heat back more naturally. Would it be better to get like... a real rock, to put underneath it? I have used CHEs before, but not DHPs.

Also, what does everyone like as substrate? I see aspen/cypress mulch mentioned a lot, but I've only ever used coconut bark/soil before. Is cypress mulch kind of similar?

I have also seen humidity for a DCP be recommended as low as 40-50% in one place, and as high as 65% in another. What humidity have you all found to work best?

If I need to cover the screen top, would I be able to cut some black coroplast previously used for some guinea pigs to size and use it? I think there are some left over pieces of it in my storage somewhere...

Will a DCP want to soak in a water bowl, or is that not a CP behaviour?

I've seen a lot of people mentioned that CPs can get stuck on mice. At what age/size/feeder is it easiest to make the switch from mouse to rat? I know, nutritionally, equivalently sized mouse and rats can be really different, so I wouldnt want to switch from something healthy to something super unhealthy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast