Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,932

0 members and 2,932 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: snake names

Thanks

snake names

hello!

I got a ball python recently, and I don't have a name for him. It has been over a week since I got him.
    i would like to get a name for him soon, so i don’t have to call him, “my snake,”
    whenever i say it i feel bad, because he needs a name.

I have asked family, friends, and have just searched up snake names, and haven’t liked any of them.

i don’t want to call him something that i don’t feel fits, or that i will just is a bad name in the future.

now, my questions

what is the longest that any of you ever took to figure out the name.

How did some of you find your names for your snakes?

Last edited by London; 02-26-2023 at 10:43 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,178 Posts

Re: snake names

My Children's python is named Wiggles. Children's pythons are from Australia. So, I named him after an Australian children's program my daughter loved when she was little, The Wiggles, because, you know, snakes wiggle. Whenever I feed Wiggles, I imagine him singing, "Gimme that, gimme that, gimme that food."
    Last edited by Homebody; 02-26-2023 at 11:06 PM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

London (02-27-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    I usually take a while to name snakes- until I know them better, & that's when names come to my mind. Your snake won't care one bit if you take a while, or change it later.

Some people like to use the names of favorite movie, book, anime or cartoon characters, for example.

If you want exotic human names, try searching names (by gender) online. Sometimes I go with the snake's origin- I gave Korean names to my Korean rat snakes, for example- & also names that had meanings that I liked.

Sometimes I go with personality characteristics- like Yiva for my little Aussie spotted python (it means "she-wolf") When I adopted a BCI many years ago that was given away as a yearling after changing hands a number of times for biting & scaring all previous owners, I named her "Snookems" (as in "Baby Snookems") mostly to remind myself that she was really just a scared baby- plus, when you have a large snake (she eventually got nearly 8' long) that is scary to many people, it helps if they have a silly name that makes people giggle- because then they relax a little more. That snake went on to do some great "meet & greets" with total strangers, btw- & as long as I had her, she never bit me or anyone else- she just needed someone to understand how to cure her fear by making her feel safe.

I have 2 rat snake siblings that hatched out of eggs laid by an unbred snake that never mated- it's called parthenogenesis, incidentally- so their names are Milagro & Mirikel. For obvious reasons- they mean "miracle or surprise".

I've given names to snakes for appearance characteristics too- like "Pretzel" & "Wrigley" for Okeetee corn snakes, & "Spook" for a bug-eyed Trans Pecos rat snake. Names are whatever you feel like calling your pets.

And for many years I had a rattlesnake named Kumar- he was named after an Indian tabla player (Kumar Bose) that I saw in concert playing with Ravi Shankar; my snake's tail rattling reminded me of the furious tabla-playing by Kumar Bose. I could imagine either one "coming back" as the other, lol.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-26-2023 at 11:25 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

London (02-27-2023),Spicey (02-27-2023)

Thanks

I wish my son had taken longer to name his snake! He wanted a yellow snake, so we have a banana lesser BP- which he proceeded to name “Sunny” on the spot. I think Musa ( scientific name for banana) would have been cool- but for the next 15-20 years it’s Sunny the snake at our house.

Morale of the story, take your time, it’s only been a week, and you’re new noodle will have that name for decades!
    Last edited by Missiepixie; 02-26-2023 at 11:21 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Missiepixie For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-26-2023),London (02-27-2023)

Thanks
    i like to pick names that have personal meaning to me - all the names of my snakes are reflective of characters or entities which i have a great affinity too or appreciation of - personally i prefer “people names” because it feels more proper like
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 02-27-2023 at 02:22 AM.
    het for nothing but groovy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-27-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,178 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Missiepixie View Post
    I wish my son had taken longer to name his snake! He wanted a yellow snake, so we have a banana lesser BP- which he proceeded to name “Sunny” on the spot. I think Musa ( scientific name for banana) would have been cool- but for the next 15-20 years it’s Sunny the snake at our house.
    I have a yellow parakeet named Sunny. I used to have a parakeet named Robot. My son named him. Nothing particularly robotic about him. My son just liked robots.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Missiepixie (03-20-2023)

Thanks

I tend to name pets according to physical characteristics or behaviors. So I have a sand boa named "Spotticus" which I sometimes regret because the diminutive is "Spotti", but he doesn't care. I also had a cat named "Dammit' because he inspired that expletive from me. A lot.
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spicey View Post
    ...I also had a cat named "Dammit' because he inspired that expletive from me. A lot.
    That reminded me, my mom didn't like cats, & when I was a teen, I tried to help a stray cat who ended up being known as "Sam Hill"- As in "What the SAM HILL is that CAT doing in here!?"
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-28-2023),Spicey (03-01-2023)