Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,776

5 members and 2,771 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,183 Times in 1,177 Posts

Re: Finally ready to get back into reptile keeping, BCI or BP?

Quote Originally Posted by OatBoii View Post
    I am pretty attached to a BCI/python (thank you for all the other python options!), so I have to ask, if the problem is primarily heat/humidity, would a tote just... be better? I have listed my reservations about them, but after doing some cruising around the threads here, I think I could make one that would satisfy both my safety concerns, and my partner and I's "I dont want something that looks temporary or bad" concerns.No matter where I put it, it will be visible to guests, unless I shoved it into the closet (which I would not want to do for a litany of reasons, even if it fit).
    My concern was heat and humidity. You mentioned getting an Exoterra. I know from the many requests for assistance we get on this forum that they are poor at retaining heat and humidity. So, an Exoterra's a poor choice for a ball python or a BCI, but you could probably put a KSB in there. I don't know anymore than you do about ball python and BCI growth rates, so I'll defer to the ball python and BCI keepers as to that point.

If you go with a tote, then you'll probably want to heat it with a UTH. That'll work if your ambient temps are high enough. Totes are unsightly, though. I've seen totes that look better than others, but I've never seen one that I'd want to display for my guests. Good luck with that.

I'll reiterate that I think you should wait. While waiting, you can save money. PVC enclosures and RHPs are expensive and often have long wait times. You can get a BCI pretty cheaply, but if you want a dwarf boa, as you already noticed, they ain't cheap. Getting just the right snake from just the right breeder can also mean putting yourself on a waitlist for babies as yet unhatched. Snake keeping is a long term commitment. You don't want to be stuck for the long term with a snake or setup that you don't love.

You mentioned that your moving. Do you know where you're moving too? Keeping a snake safe during a move is not simple. Will the place your moving to allow your snake? I hope you'll consider these things and know that I wish you the best whatever decision you make.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-28-2023),OatBoii (02-28-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Oh, that's a really good point! I didnt think of that. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I had completely forgotten that most snakes are not going to be breeding and hatching until well into summer. Would it be a good idea then to perhaps ask vendors about breeding plans at the expo?
    You bet. But research them first- you want to be sure you're dealing with a RELIABLE seller/breeder- not all of them are. Take your time, ask questions, read up- look at all the options you can. When you have more experience, it's not as big of a deal to take a chance on an unknown source, because for sure there are perfectly good animals available from smaller breeders that are just getting started & that don't much of a track record yet. But after what you've been through in the past, I think it would be worth a little more to buy from a better known & trustworthy source.

Also, do you really know what to look for to find a healthy snake? You can't see everything, & snakes are great at hiding symptoms, but the more issues you look for (& hopefully rule out), the better your odds become.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (02-28-2023)

Thanks
    Okay. After doing a lot of research today, I have come to a few conclusions/come up with some new questions.

As I was looking around at the potential vendors for this expo, I found a few that were names that seemed to have good repute- Particularly SW Reptiles with Jim Stelpflug, and Glenn Eisel of Eisel Reptiles. As far as I can tell, these are two relatively well known breeders, with a solid reputation and years in the industry.

However, I then really started to think about what you said, Bogertophis, about buying from a breeder that is reputable, and whether or not buying from a con is my best bet if I am trying to be absolutely certain that nothing will be wrong. The thought of mites spreading from a single snake to the whole show is... Not a fun one. Plus, while I am excited for the con, I do feel that there is less pressure involved with buying online. I will admit to being... nervous, in crowds, and in social situations. I know a good breeder would more than likely be willing to discuss any questions or concerns I have, but I worry I might forget something in the moment. Irregardless I would like to go to the con- but perhaps not for buying, but just to talk, and look at materials.

As I was looking around more, I think it was only natural that I would eventually run into NERD on morph market. It seems like they have a hand in... well... just about everything xD I would love to know everyone's thoughts on NERD, but I know at least as far as plants go, that they're pretty good. I hope the same applies to their snakes.

I also started to look into more of the Australian pythons, as mentioned by a few people here, and I found the carpet python while researching. Specifically, this coincided with me looking at NERD, where they currently have Darwin's Carpet Pythons, from a few different years, posted. As far as I can tell, this snake would fit some of the things I am invested in very nicely- stays around 5', lower humidity requirements, less thick and therefore less intimidating to my partner- but from what I saw, it says that some carpets can grow EXTREMELY quickly. I took a look around my local stores, and the longest tote I could find in my area was still only 36x18, which is pushing my (non floor) space to its max. If they really grow extremely fast, I am not sure even a 36x18 would work. I'm... not actually too sure where to even find something longer than that? So in that vein, since I am now considering a tote (although would a less humidity inclined species like a carpet or a children's python care as much?), if there is a specific place people get them from, I'd love to know.

As far as the plan for moving goes, I will be graduating in a year and a month. Ideally, I would like to move back closer to home- it is not too far, no farther than I would have to go to attend the reptile con- but I would explicitly be searching for reptile friendly apartments, given that a snake is not the only reptile I want long term, and once I graduate, the plan is to find a long term place for us. Somewhere we can really start to lay roots down, and set up. The job field I am graduating into has transitioned to being nearly all WFH since the pandemic started, so opportunities wise, I can be located just about anywhere. Of course, the world is fraught with change, so who really knows what will happen? But, there is a plan, and it is on the sooner scale of 12-18 months. By this time next year, I should be approved for graduation and we should be looking for places to move to.

I would like to note though, that while I am very excited to welcome a new snake into my home now that I have the funds and some space available, it is far from the only snake I would like. I am hoping that by starting with a smaller snake, be it a BP, an Australian python, or a corn snake, that my partner will be more comfortable with the idea of a real big chunky snake like a BCI by the time we have moved and settled. I am aware of the costs of a PVC enclosure, and RHPs, as I have had one before, which was part of the reason I initially wanted a terrarium. No matter what I get, unless it is something small like a hognose or a KSB, the plan is to upgrade it to a larger PVC with the move, and then repurpose the old cage towards a new snake or reptile I can raise up. I am partial to certain species, of course, and I would love to make a larger species work, but at the end of the day, I'm happy with just about any snake. As long as I can be certain of its health, I'll be happy just to have it.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OatBoii For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-01-2023),Homebody (03-01-2023)

Thanks
    You're doing the right thing- giving a lot of thought to this. As far as risks buying at a show- good sellers won't allow handling of their animals unless one is a serious buyer, & washes hands.

There's pros & cons no matter how you purchase a snake- lots to be said for seeing it in person first, but all it takes is one seller that shows up with mites on their animals & they can manage to share them because they're just so hard to see, & so many people to spread them. It happens.

It is hard to think of everything when examining animals- I'd suggest taking a list of things to check (health wise & questions you want answers for), & a good breeder will provide the date of hatch, & specifics about what & how they're being fed- ASK! Nothing worse than getting a snake that refuses to eat because it's the wrong thing (rat or mouse? Size?) or offered the wrong way (live, f/t, fresh killed, drop-fed?) It's all about being prepared. It also helps to know how much space a snake has been raised in- going from tight quarters to a large enclosure can freak some snakes out, & when you first bring home a snake, it eases the transition considerably if you copy how it was cared for previously as much as possible for a while.

Finding reptile-friendly apartments- unfortunately that might not be easy.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (03-01-2023),Malum Argenteum (03-01-2023),OatBoii (03-01-2023)

Thanks
    Oh yeah, the apartments are always a stinker about reptiles. When I first started looking, I would constantly get shut down for even mentioning a reptile, and fish too! My hometown is small, but it's right next to a real big city. I have a few friends who own reptiles that live there, so I know that there are apartments that, bare minimum, at least dont care. I'm sure there is something around for us, and we need pet friendly anyways for my cat. He's a Burmese mix, and boy oh boy can he meow up a storm when he wants to talk. Sharp as a tack too, but very strangely obsessed with the bathroom sink and shredding our TP >:[ I cant be too mad at him though, he's a cuddler, and he sleeps between my legs every night.

Anyways, back to snakes. I love the idea of a checklist- I have a small notebook I think would be perfect for it. I'm going to continue doing my research, until I ultimately decide on something, be it online or at the expo. Either way, thank you for the great questions I could ask, as I'd want to ask them to any online seller as well. I'll definitely be making that checklist.

I am currently leaning towards purchasing a male BP, Australia python(carpet or children's), or a corn online- something smaller, and more fit to the space I currently have- but I still want to attend the show, especially since Glenn Eisel will be there. I would love to ask about future breeding plans, since it will likely be at least until Fall 2024 before I can get a BCI. Starting those conversations really early could probably help me secure a spot on a waitlist, like user homebody said. And if not- oh well, I still think it would be fun to go anyways. Besides, going casually, I wouldnt have to worry about getting in for the VIP hours, or deliberating between snakes but one getting bought up while I'm being indecisive.

Thank you all so much for answering all of my questions. I know that I've been asking a lot, and changing quite rapidly as I do more research and explore more options. Besides the carpet python question though, I may actually stop posting in this thread, as I feel it is now maybe a bit misleading to the title? Since i am fairly certain a BCI just isnt in my cards right now. Should I just continue to research and then make a new question thread in the appropriate forum when I decide on a species?

Anyways, again, thank you so much. I really, truly appreciate it.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OatBoii For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-01-2023),Homebody (03-01-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,183 Times in 1,177 Posts

I am currently leaning towards purchasing a male BP, Australia python(carpet or children's), or a corn online- something smaller, and more fit to the space I currently have...
    A fun way to research different species is to browse the progression threads (sort of a diary) of species you're interested in. Fortunately for you, dakski keeps most of them and he does a good job maintaining his threads.

Jeff Shemesh - VPI T+ Sunglow Motley Jungle het Anery
    Behira - 2016 Female Ivory Ghost - First BCI
    Yafe - Albino Carpet
    Solana - Our Scaleless Sunglow Motley Corn
    Figment - Our Hypo Lavender Corn Baby
    Shayna - Our Albino Spider Ball

For a year in the life of a Children's python, you can see my own progression thread that Boger alluded to earlier.

Wiggles, the Children's Python

Happy hunting!
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-01-2023),GoingPostal (03-02-2023),Malum Argenteum (03-01-2023),OatBoii (03-01-2023)

Thanks
    Northern boas/BCI are the greatest - that’s my vote
    het for nothing but groovy

14. The Following User Says Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

OatBoii (03-01-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,077 Times in 414 Posts

As I was looking around more, I think it was only natural that I would eventually run into NERD on morph market. It seems like they have a hand in... well... just about everything xD I would love to know everyone's thoughts on NERD, but I know at least as far as plants go, that they're pretty good. I hope the same applies to their snakes.
    There's a review thread on them here that a search will find.

Personally, I recommend strongly against anyone buying any animals from flippers/resellers (except, perhaps, good local dedicated herp shops for "beginner" species) especially those who deal in any WC animals. There are many smaller quality breeders working with the sort of snakes you're interested in, and those would be the better sources.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (03-01-2023),Bogertophis (03-01-2023),Homebody (03-01-2023),OatBoii (03-01-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Depends what you want from the handling experience .

I always feel 100% safe when I’m handling my Royal pythons and I let our granddaughters handle them as well .
    They just don’t bite or snap .

Boas are a different matter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Homebody (03-01-2023),OatBoii (03-01-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Depends what you want from the handling experience .

I always feel 100% safe when I’m handling my Royal pythons and I let our granddaughters handle them as well .
    They just don’t bite or snap .

Boas are a different matter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I think we snake-keepers, of all people, should be very careful about making such generalizations. Because it's not true. I know people with BPs that bite, & not all boas bite either- mine never did, at least not once she came under my care. Much depends on the handlers as well as whatever experiences the snakes have been through in their lives, because we're talking about fear-biting. Many owners manage to scare their snakes without meaning to, & snakes have every reason to defend themselves when they feel threatened. Children especially can be clumsy or unpredictable, but not all adults are in tune with snakes either- they're not the world's most expressive pets.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

OatBoii (03-01-2023)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast