Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,055

0 members and 3,055 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thank you to all the new people who responded. Before anything else, I would like to state that I am relatively decided on getting an australian python species of some kind, probably a Darwin CP, unless something with a male BP becomes suddenly more viable than an australian. As such, if I have any more questions relating to that, I will probably make a post in the Morelia area (I think that's the right one).

In order:

Thank you Homebody for the links to dakski's threads, and Wiggles! I loved reading about Wiggles. What a personable snake. These threads have been a massive, massive help, and I think they have ultimately been what has swayed me to my final choice. I loved hearing about Yafe's inspiring tale as well.

Thank you for your input Yung, and I agree, I adore BCIs and would pick one over any other snake. However, this thread has convinced me it is much better to wait to get the BCI of my dreams, and hopefully acclimate my partner to the idea of such a big (in length and mass) snake.

To Malum, thank you for the information. I looked around the forum, although it took me a minute to figure out the search, and found the thread I think you were talking about. As such, I began to look around MM again, and I found a smaller but still highly reviewed breeder, whose name I also searched and found at least once on here. It just mentioned that someone had received a snake from this breeder, but I did not see anything negative mentioned about them. I am now highly considering this breeder, but I would not buy anything until I've had an extensive conversation and asked a lot of questions.

To Zincubus, I am relatively neutral as far as handling goes. Well.. sort of. I much prefer calm, chill snakes to fast, wiggly snakes, but I do like both. I do not like extremely temperamental snakes, but I am not closed off to them either, because I know there are many methods to train and "tame" snakes, and much of it can also be related to age. My only hard "no" as far as snakes go is something like a retic, which is (IMO) far too big to have a far too aggressive of a food drive. Size and temperament, I think I'd love a retic, but I would not be able to handle one lunging out of their enclosure at me every time I tried to feed them. A BCI is about the biggest I am willing to experience an aggressive food drive in.

Once again, thank you for your great input Bogertophis. This goes along with what I just said above, but I do believe that there are many methods to calm and reduce the chance of a bite in any snake, no matter what it is. That being said, I have long since accepted that all reptiles, really all animals, will bite. Even if I got a sassy baby, I would not be too concerned about it in the long term, handling or feeding wise. It would just mean probably wearing gloves when moving the baby for cage cleaning and short exposure until we had developed some trust and he had calmed a little.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OatBoii For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-01-2023),Caitlin (03-01-2023),Homebody (03-01-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,164 Posts

Re: Finally ready to get back into reptile keeping, BCI or BP?

Quote Originally Posted by OatBoii View Post
    Thank you Homebody for the links to dakski's threads, and Wiggles! I loved reading about Wiggles. What a personable snake. These threads have been a massive, massive help, and I think they have ultimately been what has swayed me to my final choice. I loved hearing about Yafe's inspiring tale as well.
    You won't regret that decision. If you loved Yafe's thread, I can tell you he's even more impressive in person. My kids with Yafe:

1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-01-2023),OatBoii (03-01-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Depends what you want from the handling experience .

I always feel 100% safe when I’m handling my Royal pythons and I let our granddaughters handle them as well .
    They just don’t bite or snap .

Boas are a different matter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    i think this could be said of any snake below F3 - until then, they would all probably be sassy and not v child friendly - i don’t think it’s a matter of species eg: both of my Northern boas are above F3 and they are the most even keeled snakes ever - they haven’t nipped or snapped or done anything untoward not even once
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 03-01-2023 at 09:51 PM.
    het for nothing but groovy

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I think we snake-keepers, of all people, should be very careful about making such generalizations. Because it's not true. I know people with BPs that bite, & not all boas bite either- mine never did, at least not once she came under my care. Much depends on the handlers as well as whatever experiences the snakes have been through in their lives, because we're talking about fear-biting. Many owners manage to scare their snakes without meaning to, & snakes have every reason to defend themselves when they feel threatened. Children especially can be clumsy or unpredictable, but not all adults are in tune with snakes either- they're not the world's most expressive pets.
    True , maybe I should have said ‘in my experience’ as over the years I’ve had about 40 Royals .. and I have 7 currently but not ONE single one ever bit / or even struck at me when handling outside the viv

Like all snakes there’s always the chance of a food related strike in the viv of course where they can smell the rodent but strike at the warm hand dangling it .. . another good reason to warm up the rodent well with a hairdryer before offering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Homebody (03-03-2023)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123