Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,028

3 members and 3,025 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Help plzz

Thanks

Help plzz

Boa hasn't ate in like 2 months. We try to feed him every 3 weeks.
    Tonight I tried again. He hit at it 5 times..... This time he dropped the frozen thawed mouse and looked at me and gave several long hisses... I've never had him do this. Ever make even a noise. He is about 1.5 to 2 years old. Any help??? Plz red tail boa.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Re: Help plzz

Quote Originally Posted by Ddurr92 View Post
    Tonight I tried again. He hit at it 5 times..... This time he dropped the frozen thawed mouse and looked at me and gave several long hisses... I've never had him do this. Ever make even a noise. He is about 1.5 to 2 years old. Any help??? Plz red tail boa.

Not a lot of info given, but if your boa is 2 years old, it can go several months without eating.

My advice, unless there are signs of illness, is not to feed the animal for at least another month more.

The hissing sounds defensive, but that may not be the case.

I'm just giving you basic info, not a definite blueprint or plan that will solve the issues.

Try quail on the next feed.

For reference, I haven't fed my boa since last October. I have friends here that have animals the same age as your animal and they practice a seasonal break in feeding.

Your snake isn't hungry or it has a potential health issue.

The striking and hissing during the feeding attempt is rejection of the prey and a sign to leave it alone.
    Last edited by Gio; 02-24-2023 at 09:55 PM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-25-2023),Caitlin (02-25-2023),EL-Ziggy (02-25-2023)

Thanks

Okay. Im gonna leave the mouse in there for a bit more time. I'll remove it in another hour or so. He is hiding under the substrate at this time. Mix of Aspen and wood shavings. (Aspen is on one side and the other side is reptibark)
    I'm usually not intimidated by him whatsoever. But hearing that hiss for the very first time, sent chills everywhere. I've never been a snake person, but since being with my fiance, I've grown to like them. I really adore this one.
    I've tried quail, mice, rats. He just doesn't want to eat. Even though he does strike it several times. Again, he is hiding right now.
    I have in the past just placed the food in his aquarium and he would take it throughout the night. Some nights I usually feed him with the tongs. I'm more concerned that he hissed loudly at me. Again, he has NEVER done that. He doesn't appear to be in shed. When his mouth was open , everything inside looked normal and nothing weird about it that I could see(no injuries)
    Over 98% of the day he is hiding under substrate. At night, he may be out roaming. But I'm usually working and don't notice.
    His temperatures are consistent with humidity. We do have a heat lamp on him constantly because our heat mat decided to stop working the other night and we have another on the way. Just weird the way he hissed. It wasn't quick like a hog nose. It was loud, and long. Several times. We just kinda walked away in disbelief and let down. Surprised he did strike at me to be honest. First reptile I actually love and this happened. Wondering what I did wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,152 Times in 1,164 Posts

Pics and a description of his enclosure will help us advise you.
    Last edited by Homebody; 02-25-2023 at 12:14 AM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (02-25-2023)

Thanks

This was a picture last month. Don't have any recent. But same reptibark with half of it being Aspen. Enclosure stays around 80-85 to the cool side being around 77ish. Heat pad is now under his hide. However he rarely ever is in there. He seems to hide under the substrate. Idk what other information I could give, seeing as I've pretty much laid everything out.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ddurr92 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-25-2023),Homebody (02-25-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Snakes like boas tend to hide under the substrate if their "hide" isn't quite what they need- in general, snakes like hides that offer privacy, with only one doorway & not overly large or too tall inside- from your pics, I cannot tell how well the hide meets his needs. Best to have at least 2 hides, one on the warm side & one on the cool side.

What is the actual temperature under the "warm" hide? If it's too hot your snake cannot safely use it without getting injured, & therefore is too cold to digest food. I'd be grouchy too- just saying. Is the heating pad controlled by a thermostat, or rheostat at the very least? That's absolutely essential- to regulate it for safety and the right temperature.

His set-up lacks privacy, which could cause your snake lots of stress- hence the hisses that translate to "Leave me alone!"- so you might try covering the back & sides with some scenery or dark paper. (Black posterboard with a foam core will also add a little insulation to the glass & is easy to work with.)

Snakes may also sense winter & go off eating- same goes for an impending shed. Don't take the hiss too personal- I had a large boa for many years- infrequently, she'd let out a bone-chilling hiss when she was in "that mood", yet when I gave her a little time (& gentle touching) she'd "remember she knew me" & be as cuddly as ever when I picked her up. Mine never bit me even once, but I read snakes pretty well- if you don't, I can't promise you won't get bit- it comes down to knowing how to reassure your stressed out snake- to make sure they feel safe with you.

Another thing- few snakes appreciate being under bright lights- so if you need them for the warmth, change them out to either a CHE, or red or black bulbs at the very least. She probably feels like she's being interrogated, lol. I'd be cranky too.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (02-25-2023),dakski (02-25-2023),Gio (02-25-2023),GoingPostal (02-25-2023),Homebody (02-25-2023),Malum Argenteum (02-25-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,152 Times in 1,164 Posts

Idk what other information I could give, seeing as I've pretty much laid everything out.
    How's the humidity? I would imagine it's very difficult to maintain humidity in a glass enclosure with an open top that utilizes overhead heat sources. Why the switch to Aspen? Aspen's notorious for being poor at retaining humidity.
    Last edited by Homebody; 02-25-2023 at 09:51 AM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-25-2023),dakski (02-25-2023),GoingPostal (02-25-2023),Malum Argenteum (02-25-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

This was a picture last month. Don't have any recent. But same reptibark with half of it being Aspen. Enclosure stays around 80-85 to the cool side being around 77ish. Heat pad is now under his hide. However he rarely ever is in there. He seems to hide under the substrate. Idk what other information I could give, seeing as I've pretty much laid everything out.

I suggest you darken/cover the back and sides of that enclosure. There are inadequate places to properly hide, and going underneath the substrate is a tell tale sign your animal feels insecure.

After seeing the caging coupled with the bright lighting I have no doubt the snake is stressed.

Infrared overhead lighting is a better option than the bright white lights.

Make the changes ASAP and let the snake be for at least 2 weeks.

Restart the experience like you just brought the animal home.

Without feeling secure, the snake very well could develop health issue down the line as stress is a precursor to a weakened immune system and disease.

Feeding is not the problem here.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-25-2023),Caitlin (02-25-2023),Homebody (02-25-2023),Malum Argenteum (02-25-2023)

Thanks
    maybe you could try a different prey item? you know, if you usually give a rat maybe try a chick instead?
    het for nothing but groovy