Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,029

2 members and 3,027 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered User FettuccineEnjoyer's Avatar
    Thanks

BP Heating Trouble

I recently bought a juvenile BP and am super excited to bring him home. Currently the breeder is holding onto him until I have the heating and humidity figured out in his enclosure. I currently have a problem. Before setting up the enclosure I had decided on side-tank heating. For reference, this is a 40gal glass enclosure and I’m currently using a 30-40gal zilla heatmat. Now thinking everything would go well, I threw away the four little nubs that are meant to go under the tank if you use UTH. Though, lo-and-behold my warm side barely reaches 30C even though the thermostat is set to 50C while also using a heat lamp. The cold side averages about 22C. Both sides fall to around 22C (Warm) and 20C (Cold) each night and I can’t reposition the heat mat without risking a fire. (Yes ik 40 gal is big for a juvenile, I have it very cluttered I assure you.)

Does anyone have any tips? Is it safe to try and continuously raise the heat mat until it suits my needs? Is there something I can use as an alternative to the little nubbies so I may reposition the heatmat? Should I cave and just buy a stronger lamp or new heatmat?

Thanks

Re: BP Heating Trouble

Quote Originally Posted by FettuccineEnjoyer View Post
    I recently bought a juvenile BP and am super excited to bring him home. Currently the breeder is holding onto him until I have the heating and humidity figured out in his enclosure. I currently have a problem. Before setting up the enclosure I had decided on side-tank heating. For reference, this is a 40gal glass enclosure and I’m currently using a 30-40gal zilla heatmat. Now thinking everything would go well, I threw away the four little nubs that are meant to go under the tank if you use UTH. Though, lo-and-behold my warm side barely reaches 30C even though the thermostat is set to 50C while also using a heat lamp. The cold side averages about 22C. Both sides fall to around 22C (Warm) and 20C (Cold) each night and I can’t reposition the heat mat without risking a fire. (Yes ik 40 gal is big for a juvenile, I have it very cluttered I assure you.)

Does anyone have any tips? Is it safe to try and continuously raise the heat mat until it suits my needs? Is there something I can use as an alternative to the little nubbies so I may reposition the heatmat? Should I cave and just buy a stronger lamp or new heatmat?
    I know nothing about ball python care, but the last thing I'd ever be using to heat my snakes is a UTH. The only way it might be safe to not have the nubs is if the mat is off the table due to tank lip. I don't think you mentioned a thermostat either, which is the key to not barbecuing your house.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wanik4; 02-22-2023 at 11:11 PM.

Thanks
    I did mention a thermostat, though despite having one I would be worried about overheating if I were not to use the nubs. Do you by any chance know somewhere I could buy replacements?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,152 Times in 1,164 Posts

Setting up a large glass enclosure in a room where the ambient temperatures are low is going to be a challenge. Find something to replace the nubs. Anything that will raise your enclosure a comparable distance will do. Reposition the heat mat to the bottom of one side of the enclosure and set your thermostat so that it can maintain the surface temp in the enclosure at 27C. Position your heat lamp over the opposite side of the enclosure. Replace the bulb with a ceramic heat emitter. Set your other thermostat to maintain a basking spot of 32C. You'll likely need to insulate the sides of the enclosure. Foam poster boards might work. You'll also likely need to cover the top to keep the heat and humidity from escaping. A lot of people use tin foil or foil heat tape. All that, or you could save yourself the frustration and buy a pvc enclosure and a radiant heat panel.
    Last edited by Homebody; 02-23-2023 at 12:04 AM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

FettuccineEnjoyer (02-23-2023),GoingPostal (02-23-2023),Malum Argenteum (02-23-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    Setting up a large glass enclosure in a room where the ambient temperatures are low is going to be a challenge. Find something to replace the nubs. Anything that will raise your enclosure a comparable distance will do. Reposition the heat mat to the bottom of one side of the enclosure and set your thermostat so that it can maintain the surface temp in the enclosure at 27C. Position your heat lamp over the opposite side of the enclosure. Replace the bulb with a ceramic heat emitter. Set your other thermostat to maintain a basking spot of 32C. You'll likely need to insulate the sides of the enclosure. Foam poster boards might work. You'll also likely need to cover the top to keep the heat and humidity from escaping. A lot of people use tin foil or foil heat tape. All that, or you could save yourself the frustration and buy a pvc enclosure and a radiant heat panel.
    Yes, sometimes the best approach is to make the right moves early on. Pvc and rhps are the way to go. This is a ball python-named site, highly suggest you search for setup, heating, enclosure ideas. The best thing you did is wait to get your snake, so well done there. Many times people start out with less than ideal setups only to spend more money later on to do it right. We've all done it, avoid it if you have the means.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wanik4 For This Useful Post:

FettuccineEnjoyer (02-23-2023),GoingPostal (02-23-2023),Homebody (02-23-2023)

Thanks
    Thank you so much for the straight forward information. I will be sure to follow these instructions to the best of my ability. Though given how much time and money me and my family have already poured into my enclosure and snake, persuading my parents to buy a whole new pvc enclosure has astronomically low odds. Once he grows, I will most likely try to upgrade to something pvc but for now I have to stick with what I have. Again, thanks for the straight forward information and wish me luck trying to achieve perfect conditions.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FettuccineEnjoyer For This Useful Post:

Homebody (02-23-2023),Wanik4 (02-23-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,152 Times in 1,164 Posts

Thank you so much for the straight forward information. I will be sure to follow these instructions to the best of my ability. Though given how much time and money me and my family have already poured into my enclosure and snake, persuading my parents to buy a whole new pvc enclosure has astronomically low odds. Once he grows, I will most likely try to upgrade to something pvc but for now I have to stick with what I have. Again, thanks for the straight forward information and wish me luck trying to achieve perfect conditions.
    I understand. As Wanik said, most of us started out with less than ideal set ups, including me. We're happy to help you make it work. To that end, post pics of your improving set up and I'm sure we'll have more advice for you. If you don't know how to post pics, this thread will help: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures. Good luck.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    You can set the tank on something else thin, it doesn't have to be the nubs. Think thin strips of wood, paint stirrers, etc. Just something to lift it up about a quarter inch.

Cover the top with foil to keep the heat and humidity in.

Any open-top enclosure will be a challenge to set up correctly if your room ambient temp is low, as you're fighting the laws of physics; warm air rises and takes the humidity with it, and glass is a poor insulator.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-23-2023),FettuccineEnjoyer (02-23-2023),Homebody (02-23-2023),Malum Argenteum (02-23-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Personally, I use UTH & I use weatherstripping on the bottom of all my tanks. It's easy to snip a few gaps in it for wires, AND it keeps your tank from slipping around if you bump it or happen to have an earthquake*. (*been there) It's sold in most hardware & home improvement stores, in a flat spiral & is peel & stick on one side- nothing easier to use. You want the closed-cell-foam type- the open-cell squishes down too easily. This also insulates- ie. helps keep the warmth provided by the UTH under the tank where you want it. But DO snip a few gaps, both so the tank doesn't sit on any wires, but also for proper UTH installation safety.

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (02-23-2023),FettuccineEnjoyer (02-23-2023),Homebody (02-23-2023)

Registered User Animallover3541's Avatar
    Thanks

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I have found more and more veterinarians are preferring over head heat sources over belly heat sources for ball pythons. I unfortunately do not have a copy of the ARAV ball python care sheet on me, but I will see if I can find anything in it later. It is kind of like how in PVC enclosures, radiant heat panels or CHE/other heat bulbs are used and they work fine. The main difference with those though is the fact that in a glass enclosure, a RHP obviously can't be installed on screen or a plexiglass lid, and it will be almost impossible to keep the temperature up since they are not insulated as well as PVC or ABS enclosures. I'm currently looking at purchasing an ABS enclosure personally and I will be moving my snake into my bedroom since it is warmer.

I'm still changing my mind constantly about what I want to do. For example, my veterinarian believes there may be some benefit to low level UVB lighting for ball pythons, and I plan on trying to incorporate that into my new set up when I get the chance. If I can find some better sources besides word of mouth later, I will make a second post linking
    1.0.0 Red Stripe BP (Noodle)
    0.1.0 T. d. elegans (Carole)
    0.1.0 Fawn English Angora Rabbit (Petunia)
    0.1.0 Domestic Cat (Winnie)

"Life is better with a snake."

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Animallover3541 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-23-2023),FettuccineEnjoyer (02-23-2023)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast