Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,371

2 members and 1,369 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Anybody not use hides?

I don't post much in this forum, but realized today my carpet python never uses her hide and my burm doesn't even have one. Anybody want to share their experiences? I'm not opposed to them, I just don't think I ever really even thought about it when I set my burm up due to my carpet never caring about hers.

Thanks!

Thanks
    it’s not that i don’t use hides it’s more i don’t always use your standard rock hide - i like trying to create unique hiding spots that replicate nature eg: my African rock does use their rock hide sometimes however their favorite is a hollow long that’s positioned towards their middle - that’s their fav spot to chill - another funny one is my female gopher snake likes to chill inside the petals of a big tillandsia plant
    het for nothing but groovy

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-18-2023),Homebody (02-18-2023),Wanik4 (02-18-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    I like to give my snakes as much choice as possible, so all of them have hides. Some of them (the Australian pythons mostly) almost never use them; my carpet pythons almost never touch the floor.

But even my most dedicated non-users of hides definitely use them sometimes. So as long as they use the option - even if it's just on occasion - I want to have it there for them.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-18-2023),GoingPostal (02-19-2023),Homebody (02-18-2023),Wanik4 (02-18-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    I always use (offer) hides, as well as other "options" that function as hides, & I find that all my snakes use them- at least some of the time.

Much depends on the kind of snakes- some snakes prefer arboreal options, & in my limited experience* the heavier-bodied ground dwelling snakes appear to appreciate hides that are more substantial (weigh more so they don't lift up or move so easily): When I had a large BCI (boa), I built her a giant hide out of waterproofed wood & a tile board top, upon which I kept a non-slip carpet- she used the "hide" as much as she loved basking on top, because she had great traction on top. The key is figuring out what your snake actually wants. Oh, I also put 2 doors (side by side) in that hide, so she could easily slide in & out simultaneously, & she seemed to like doing that. The hide was deep (long) enough though, that the end without the double-doors was very private & dark.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-18-2023 at 08:49 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (02-18-2023),Wanik4 (02-18-2023)

Thanks

Re: Anybody not use hides?

My jungle is pretty much the same except when she sheds. She usually stays coiled on the ground for that period.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

I have bought hides and home made hides / hiding places using bark pieces for Royals , Kings and Corns BUT when I kept Burma and Retics a few years ago I just put branches and logs in with them ..

I read somewhere at the time that if the big / giant snakes had hides that they were more likely to be viv defensive .. I always felt safer when I could see them when cleaning around them or adding fresh water

Oddly enough my Burms and Retics were all puppy tame even without a lot of handling .

Who knows ?!,!,?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-19-2023),Homebody (02-19-2023),Wanik4 (02-19-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I have bought hides and home made hides / hiding places using bark pieces for Royals , Kings and Corns BUT when I kept Burma and Retics a few years ago I just put branches and logs in with them ..

I read somewhere at the time that if the big / giant snakes had hides that they were more likely to be viv defensive .. I always felt safer when I could see them when cleaning around them or adding fresh water

Oddly enough my Burms and Retics were all puppy tame even without a lot of handling .

Who knows ?!,!,?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    i have been trying to work through this myself but with both my mainland and dwarf Burms they don’t really use the hides provided - it’s like they used them initially when they were getting settled in their enclosure but afterwards, when they were more confident, stopped - i am going to do an experiment here soon when i get the supplies but my theory is that perhaps Burms are more used/inclined to hide is leave litter, in bushes/foliage’s and the water? because for certain they all love being in water so i’m gonna test the other options
    het for nothing but groovy

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-19-2023),Homebody (02-19-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    My burm and retics don't have hides, and they don't seem to care. Unless they're up in the front of the enclosure watching activity in the room anyway.

I have a baby bredli carpet python that I acquired as a "rat snake rescue/relocation" from someone's car. He used his hide for a week or so after I got him but now he's typically perched on a branch unless he's in shed. My adult bredli only uses his hide when in shed or when digesting a meal.

My adult boas have hides (restaurant bus tubs) and use them. My yellow anaconda uses his hide a lot, unless he's in his bathtub.

All the smaller colubrids, boas, and pythons have hides and use them.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-19-2023),Homebody (02-19-2023),Malum Argenteum (02-19-2023),Wanik4 (02-19-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    My burm and retics don't have hides, and they don't seem to care. Unless they're up in the front of the enclosure watching activity in the room anyway.

I have a baby bredli carpet python that I acquired as a "rat snake rescue/relocation" from someone's car. He used his hide for a week or so after I got him but now he's typically perched on a branch unless he's in shed. My adult bredli only uses his hide when in shed or when digesting a meal.

My adult boas have hides (restaurant bus tubs) and use them. My yellow anaconda uses his hide a lot, unless he's in his bathtub.

What I love about the use of bathtub with anaconda is that it could very well be a real bathtub, haha. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post

Yeah my burmese doesn't seem to care much and loves to stare put, probably waiting for food, haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast