Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,560

2 members and 3,558 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts

New addition: Calcifer, Morelia bredli

First, I have missed these boards. I like to settle in and read and post when I am here and time hasn't allowed that lately. I was just telling the keeper of Wiggles the Children's python that I need to learn to let myself participate here in brief bursts when things get crazy rather than just not log on!

So...news. I have a new addition. After thinking this over for about two years, and numerous conversations with Lori Torrini, I decided to get a baby Morelia bredli. This is based on their famously gentle temperament and their responsiveness to training and enrichment. I've named him Calcifer after a charming little fire demon in a fantasy film I enjoyed.

The tl;dr here is that my impression so far is if you want a family pet, I would put a Bredl's at the top of your list.

I already liked the Australian pythons in general, with Antaresia being my favorites. I'll confess that I believed a Bredl's would be basically the same as my other Aussie pythons and that Lori's appreciation for them was a generalized appreciation for all of the Carpet pythons. While that seems to be true in some ways, in other ways I was wrong.

I'm realizing that I had to experience these snakes to see how wonderful they are.

Calcifer is calm. Like bone-deep serene, which I find unusual in a baby snake. I really look forward to what he'll be like once he's developed some of the additional confidence of a mature snake.

He's curious, interested in everything around him, and you can see his intelligence. It's pretty obvious when he's exploring that he likes to stop and think things through. And he DOES explore - very slowly and methodically. The first evening he arrived, he wanted out. This wasn't the nervous pacing and edging you often see in a newly-arrived snake. It seemed to be pure curiosity with no anxiety or fear, so I took the lid off of his quarantine tub. He came out right away and slowly checked out all of the edges at the top, then came over to me - I was standing about a foot away - stretched himself out, got right up in my face, and tongue-flicked my forehead and cheeks for a bit before leisurely going back to the enclosure edge and continuing. He's repeated this every night since his arrival - he doesn't seem to be in any hurry to move away from the enclosure. It's more like he is gradually checking out the neighborhood and wants to take his time doing so.

He's not at all reactive. He doesn't miss a thing but he isn't flighty or jumpy. I haven't picked him up yet but he hasn't reacted at all when I've had to gently redirect his explorations. If he's uncertain about something he'll back up a bit and just observe.

Enclosure-wise he has zero interest in hides. If not exploring, then most of the time he's draped on the highest perch. Very occasionally he'll curl up on the enclosure floor and sleep out in the open.

So far the only thing I'd say to be aware of if considering one is that if you are a keeper who is more comfortable having a snake that hangs out peacefully in their enclosure and doesn't necessarily require a lot of active engagement, then this likely isn't the snake for you. Calcifer wants to explore. He wants to engage with the environment. I'm expecting that he will need a lot of engagement from me and a lot of enrichment opportunities both in and out of the enclosure. That takes time, so if your time for this sort of activity is super limited, you might need to consider a different option. Photo below of Calcifer on his first night with me, checking things out after I removed the quarantine tub lid.

Last edited by Caitlin; 02-17-2023 at 04:25 PM.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (02-17-2023),Bogertophis (02-17-2023),dakski (02-19-2023),Homebody (02-17-2023),plateOfFlan (02-17-2023)

Thanks

Re: New addition: Calcifer, Morelia bredli

I saw one of these at a local store and looked them up, they sound delightful. I hope you enjoy everything Calcifer's adding to the household!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to plateOfFlan For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (02-17-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,184 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    So...news. I have a new addition. After thinking this over for about two years, and numerous conversations with Lori Torrini, I decided to get a baby Morelia bredli. This is based on their famously gentle temperament and their responsiveness to training and enrichment. I've named him Calcifer after a charming little fire demon in a fantasy film I enjoyed.
    Lori loves her some Bredli. Sounds like a real joy to keep, but a skosh too big for me. Keep us updated. Long live Calcifer.

Last edited by Homebody; 02-17-2023 at 09:38 PM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-17-2023),Caitlin (02-17-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    Lori loves her some Bredli. Sounds like a real joy to keep, but a skosh too big for me. Keep us updated. Long live Calcifer...
    Yeah, the personality is a huge plus, but they'd be bigger than I want also. (I enjoy the curious & mellow personality of my Trans Pecos rat snakes instead, at a much better size. )
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (02-17-2023),Homebody (02-18-2023)

Thanks
    Sizewise most of the male M. bredlii I know of are only about 6' which for me is a nice manageable size. I have seen them get bigger but honestly in those cases the keepers tend to feed more heavily than I do.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-18-2023),EL-Ziggy (02-18-2023),Homebody (02-18-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts

Sizewise most of the male M. bredlii I know of are only about 6' which for me is a nice manageable size. I have seen them get bigger but honestly in those cases the keepers tend to feed more heavily than I do.

My 7' rat FL snakes were supposed to be 6' too- so with my luck?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (02-18-2023),Homebody (02-18-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    My 7' rat FL snakes were supposed to be 6' too- so with my luck?
    Haha, that's a lot of rat snake.

I do hope that between the sizes of most of the Bredli I know, and because he's a male he'll be in the 5-6' range, but there's always that genetic wild card. I'm the same way about my Dumeril's Boas - hoping that they will stay well within the 'average' size for their species. I am not in a position to want to deal with larger snakes!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-18-2023),Homebody (02-18-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Congratulations on the new addition! He’s a handsome critter. I know Bredli are typically larger than other Morelia but my male Bredli is pretty small compared to my jungle and coastal. He’s also a mouser so that may have something to do with it.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-18-2023),Caitlin (02-18-2023),Homebody (02-18-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Congratulations on the new addition! He’s a handsome critter. I know Bredli are typically larger than other Morelia but my male Bredli is pretty small compared to my jungle and coastal. He’s also a mouser so that may have something to do with it.
    My female jungle is pushing 8ft, so shoot out to that.

- - - Updated - - -

First, I have missed these boards. I like to settle in and read and post when I am here and time hasn't allowed that lately. I was just telling the keeper of Wiggles the Children's python that I need to learn to let myself participate here in brief bursts when things get crazy rather than just not log on!

Have fun, cool noodle.

The tl;dr here is that my impression so far is if you want a family pet, I would put a Bredl's at the top of your list.

I already liked the Australian pythons in general, with Antaresia being my favorites. I'll confess that I believed a Bredl's would be basically the same as my other Aussie pythons and that Lori's appreciation for them was a generalized appreciation for all of the Carpet pythons. While that seems to be true in some ways, in other ways I was wrong.

I'm realizing that I had to experience these snakes to see how wonderful they are.

Calcifer is calm. Like bone-deep serene, which I find unusual in a baby snake. I really look forward to what he'll be like once he's developed some of the additional confidence of a mature snake.

He's curious, interested in everything around him, and you can see his intelligence. It's pretty obvious when he's exploring that he likes to stop and think things through. And he DOES explore - very slowly and methodically. The first evening he arrived, he wanted out. This wasn't the nervous pacing and edging you often see in a newly-arrived snake. It seemed to be pure curiosity with no anxiety or fear, so I took the lid off of his quarantine tub. He came out right away and slowly checked out all of the edges at the top, then came over to me - I was standing about a foot away - stretched himself out, got right up in my face, and tongue-flicked my forehead and cheeks for a bit before leisurely going back to the enclosure edge and continuing. He's repeated this every night since his arrival - he doesn't seem to be in any hurry to move away from the enclosure. It's more like he is gradually checking out the neighborhood and wants to take his time doing so.

He's not at all reactive. He doesn't miss a thing but he isn't flighty or jumpy. I haven't picked him up yet but he hasn't reacted at all when I've had to gently redirect his explorations. If he's uncertain about something he'll back up a bit and just observe.

Enclosure-wise he has zero interest in hides. If not exploring, then most of the time he's draped on the highest perch. Very occasionally he'll curl up on the enclosure floor and sleep out in the open.

So far the only thing I'd say to be aware of if considering one is that if you are a keeper who is more comfortable having a snake that hangs out peacefully in their enclosure and doesn't necessarily require a lot of active engagement, then this likely isn't the snake for you. Calcifer wants to explore. He wants to engage with the environment. I'm expecting that he will need a lot of engagement from me and a lot of enrichment opportunities both in and out of the enclosure. That takes time, so if your time for this sort of activity is super limited, you might need to consider a different option. Photo below of Calcifer on his first night with me, checking things out after I removed the quarantine tub lid.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Wanik4 For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (02-19-2023)

Thanks
    As some of you know, I practice choice-based handling with my snakes, which means a very gradual introduction to contact with me when I get a new arrival like Calcifer.

He's been doing great so far - typical Morelia appetite - he is responding very well to target training, which doesn't surprise me. He's also seeming to enjoy his perches and platforms in his quarantine tub. So far he has shown zero interest in using either hide, but he does really like a cardboard paper towel tube that I put up on a platform for him. Usually though, he's just hanging out in the open and draped on his perches even when sleeping.

He wakes up about 7pm and a few times a week indicates that he'd like me to remove the lid from his tub. When I do so, he doesn't seem to have any big need to wander or explore - he just hangs out like this on the edge of the tub for a couple of hours and then usually puts himself away. VERY occasionally I have to put him back in the enclosure, and this is so far the only time I've been touching him. He's very calm about everything though, and is overall quite a serene little guy.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Caitlin; 03-21-2023 at 02:36 PM.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-21-2023),Gio (03-21-2023),Homebody (03-21-2023),jmcrook (03-21-2023),OatBoii (03-21-2023)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast