Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,897

0 members and 2,897 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not eating

Thanks

Re: Not eating

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Interesting..

Have you tried the hairdryer trick incidentally ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    i haven’t - i think i have vaguely heard about this where you heat up the prey item real quick with hairdryer? i have recently changed up my routine - i am now pulling them straight from the freezer and trying to “flash thaw” them via scalding water - is the hairdryer thing good to do?
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 02-11-2023 at 11:11 AM.
    het for nothing but groovy

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YungRasputin View Post
    i haven’t - i think i have vaguely heard about this where you heat up the prey item real quick with hairdryer? i have recently changed up my routine - i am now pulling them straight from the freezer and trying to “flash thaw” them via scalding water - is the hairdryer thing good to do?
    That's a TERRIBLE way to thaw rodents, & it's especially bad with larger (adult) rodents, because only the outside thaws, & the inside remains frozen where it can harm the snake that swallows it & cause a regurgitation. Snakes cannot make their own body heat, & they should not be tricked into swallowing what is essentially an ice cube with warm fur on it. It's not going to thaw inside the snake-

The hairdryer, if used, is only used on prey that's been fully thawed first, just to add a touch of surface heat to mimic a live rodent & elicit the snake's interest- it's not for thawing the rodent.

Rodents thaw best in water- not air- because water absorbs & transfers heat or cold most effectively, while air acts as an insulator. But whether it's a fresh-killed rodent or one that is fully thawed in water*, they cool off fast compared to the natural live body heat that some snakes (with heat-sensing pits) are looking for. That's all a hairdryer is used for. Unless you've got long-haired fancy rodents & feel like doing some styling to make them look special on their last day? Then go for it, lol.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*To minimize spoilage, it's best to thaw completely in cool water, & only then put thawed rodents in warm- NOT hot- water for a few minutes to raise their temperature. And fyi, when thawing in "cool" water, it goes faster if you change the water when it gets too icy cold. Exactly how often depends on the size & quantity of rodents being thawed- but they really do thaw quickly in cool water. (If left in a zip-loc baggy so they stay "dry", it will take somewhat longer just because of any air in the bag- which, again, is "insulating" the rodent.)

Regarding "spoilage"- remember that you're thawing whole animals with a GI tract that's full of bacteria waiting for favorable temperatures to multiply- and that's why leaving rodents laying out for hours on your counter is a very bad idea. Snakes can smell the spoilage & many refuse to eat prey thawed this way. Thawing fast in water, & then warming briefly (not cooking!) really is the best way to mimic a fresh kill for your snake.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-11-2023 at 12:45 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-11-2023),Malum Argenteum (02-11-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

HOT WATER to defrost = cooked prey. Snakes eat raw/live food.

Please see below for steps I use to defrost F/T food. Note the room temp to slightly warmer guideline for defrosting.

I'll also add if you warm a prey item too quickly or "cook" it, you can upset the integrity of the prey item. When the snake strikes or tries to eat the prey item, it can literally open up or "explode" with all the insides coming out. Not good.

This is my step by step list on defrosting F/T rodents for BP's and other pythons (who have heat pits). If offering to most other snakes (who do not have heat pits - boas, corn/rat snakes, etc.) you can usually skip the warming part.

Others may do it differently and that's fine. This how I do it and it works for me.

STEPS FOR DEFROSTING F/T RODENTS/PREY

1. Put prey item(s) into appropriate size plastic bag (1 for each). I use Quart size ziplock bags up to a medium rat. NOTE: Bags are optional. Some people just throw the prey in the water. I like the bags, but you have to squeeze the air out of them.

2. Fill the container/storage box 3/4 of the way with room temp to slightly warm water. If you have a temp gun (which you should, so if you don't, get one), make sure the water is not hotter than 85-90F, or there about.

3. Put F/T prey item(s) in water. Cover (optional) and leave for an hour +/-. Less if smaller prey and longer if bigger prey (however longer does not hurt smaller prey).

4. After an hour, rotate/flip prey. If in plastic bags, they often will stay on whatever side you put them in on. So if mouse is on left side, turn to right side, etc.

5. Leave for another hour +/- for a TOTAL of about 2 hours (up to medium sized rat - longer if bigger prey - Large rats, for example).

6. Check that prey is defrosted totally through. Squeeze at different sections of the preys body. Should be cool/room temp to touch, but be soft with no cold spots. If hard (except for bone), in abdomen, for example, or cold, put back in water until room temp and soft.

7. Take prey out of the container/storage box and put aside. THEN FOLLOW STEPS 8-11 OR STEP 12

8. Fill container with hot water from tap. If using temp gun, water temp should be 110-130F, not more.

9. Drop prey item into water for 30 seconds +/-. If multiple prey items, do one at a time. You want each item hot when you offer.

10. Remove (if hot water, with tongs).

11. Dry as best as you can, and is quickly as you can, with paper towels. I dry with paper towels while I am walking from the bathroom where I defrost to the snake tanks. I kind of wrap the prey item up in them. It's ten feet, so by the time I get to the tanks, the prey is drier, but still warm.

12. If not using hot water, use a hairdryer to heat rat so it entices snake

13. Open tank and offer ASAP on tongs. Wiggle gently to make it appear alive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That's a TERRIBLE way to thaw rodents, & it's especially bad with larger (adult) rodents, because only the outside thaws, & the inside remains frozen where it can harm the snake that swallows it & cause a regurgitation. Snakes cannot make their own body heat, & they should not be tricked into swallowing what is essentially an ice cube with warm fur on it. It's not going to thaw inside the snake-

The hairdryer, if used, is only used on prey that's been fully thawed first, just to add a touch of surface heat to mimic a live rodent & elicit the snake's interest- it's not for thawing the rodent.

Rodents thaw best in water- not air- because water absorbs & transfers heat or cold most effectively, while air acts as an insulator. But whether it's a fresh-killed rodent or one that is fully thawed in warm water, they cool off fast compared to the natural live body heat that some snakes (with heat-sensing pits) are looking for. That's all a hairdryer is used for. Unless you've got long-haired fancy rodents & feel like doing some styling to make them look special on their last day? Then go for it, lol.
    to clarify i soak until fully thawed because i have always seen them the same as hot pockets - which if not properly done could have a hot out layer and icey inner layer - i think the hair dryer technique is interesting and may try this also - I’ve done this with jumbo rats down to pinkies - the larger prey items take longer yes but i still make sure they’re done and to achieve that I’ll soak for 20 min, then replace the water with fresh hot water, and so on and so on, until they’re fully good to go

i also think the hair dryer would be good because my diva BP hates wet food so maybe a quaffed rat will be more to the Princess’ liking
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 02-11-2023 at 12:47 PM.
    het for nothing but groovy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12