Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,773

1 members and 2,772 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Home made Incubator

Hello Everyone,

So Im attempting to make a homemade Incubator for my ball python eggs. I currently have a gutted under the counter ice machine, a fish tank heater with thermostat, some heat pads made from flex heat tape, fans, a Vivarium Electronics VE-200 controller.

Now my ice machine has a plastic inside that resembles a plastic tub with a drain and valve on the bottom, I plan to use R.O water inside the ice machine as the primary heat source and the flex tape heat pads tapped to the sides with a fan circulating the air. I was going to put a tray a few inches above the water and put my eggs in containers with some perlite and the eggs lifted some on a plastic grate so its not touching the perlite, then put the lid on.

Does this sound like a good set up or should I worry about the water and humidity being too high? This is my 1st time with eggs. Also I bought some cameras for inside the incubator.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,175 Posts

Re: Home made Incubator

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyfan08 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

So Im attempting to make a homemade Incubator for my ball python eggs. I currently have a gutted under the counter ice machine, a fish tank heater with thermostat, some heat pads made from flex heat tape, fans, a Vivarium Electronics VE-200 controller.

Now my ice machine has a plastic inside that resembles a plastic tub with a drain and valve on the bottom, I plan to use R.O water inside the ice machine as the primary heat source and the flex tape heat pads tapped to the sides with a fan circulating the air. I was going to put a tray a few inches above the water and put my eggs in containers with some perlite and the eggs lifted some on a plastic grate so its not touching the perlite, then put the lid on.

Does this sound like a good set up or should I worry about the water and humidity being too high? This is my 1st time with eggs. Also I bought some cameras for inside the incubator.
    Pictures, please. This thread has instructions on how to post them if you don't know: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures. I use the Imgur method, usually.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

Thanks

Its not together yet, but when I get home Ill take pics of the ice machine to show what I'm talking about. Thank you

Thanks

Its not together yet, but when I get home Ill take pics of the ice machine to show what I'm talking about. Thank you
    It's just that water + electricity = I want to see how you're doing that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    The heat pads I have have that plastic/laminate surface. Im going to see if theres enough room to put a rivet through that laminate and just rivit it right to the inside of the ice machine, then use foil tape to tape most of it..

Also the water will be about 6 inches deep and the heat pad will stay about 5-6 inches above the water at all times. I have a 3d printer as well so i can print a holder for the pad and maybe rivet that right to the machine
    Last edited by Hockeyfan08; 02-07-2023 at 12:45 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    I believe i added a photo, if you cant see it , it should be in my gallery.
    Last edited by Hockeyfan08; 02-10-2023 at 11:39 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyfan08 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-10-2023)

Thanks

I believe i added a photo, if you cant see it , it should be in my gallery.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-11-2023)

Thanks

Does this sound like a good set up or should I worry about the water and humidity being too high?
    I think using r.o. (reverse osmosis) water to heat the incubator unnecessarily complicates things. There is the obvious risk of electrocution, either of the eggs or of you, that you'll need to be careful to avoid. I would also be concerned about subjecting your heat tape to very high humidity for such a long time. In most incubators that I've seen, the humidity is confined to the plastic tubs you keep your eggs in. It never comes in contact with the heating element. Your heat tape alone should be sufficient to maintain temps.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Spicey (02-11-2023)