Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,908

1 members and 1,907 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Broken ribs??

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts

Re: Broken ribs??

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    Two water bowls are always available and clean, One is on the warm side and one on the cool.

Humidity ranges from 60-70℅
    I haven't seen her drink, so it could be possible she's dehydrated?

Her eyes aren't sunken in, and it's strange how it's only a small portion of her body is "dimpled"
    I agree, it doesn't make sense to be dehydration, as that wouldn't be so localized. Just trying to "brain-storm".

It almost looks to me like her skin got pinched (squished) in that area. What's in her world that could do that- anything?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-06-2023 at 07:59 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ruby (02-06-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    I would imagine that broken ribs would be tender. Does she react defensively when you touch her?...
    Not necessarily, & if she has broken (aka "fractured") ribs, you shouldn't push on them to see if they're tender- it could cause internal injuries & bleeding.

I don't know what that is, but I doubt it's broken ribs. It's affecting too large an area. If it were broken ribs, we'd be talking about half a dozen ribs or more. I don't think a fall would do that...

Not necessarily. It could be any number of broken ribs, IF that's what this is.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-06-2023 at 07:58 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (02-06-2023),Ruby (02-06-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,177 Times in 1,174 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Not necessarily, & if she has broken (aka "fractured") ribs, you shouldn't push on them to see if they're tender- it could cause internal injuries & bleeding.

Not necessarily. It could be any number of broken ribs, IF that's what this is.
    I'll defer to your experience. When I said, "I imagine", I meant that quite literally. I have no experience with broken ribs, in snakes or otherwise.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Ruby (02-06-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post

It almost looks to me like her skin got pinched (squished) in that area. What's in her world that could do that- anything?
    The only thing that can pinch her (that I can think of) is the rim of her enclosure, occasionally she'll climb up there.

But it would be on her right side if that was the case.
    Last edited by Ruby; 02-06-2023 at 08:43 PM.

Thanks

I'll defer to your experience. When I said, "I imagine", I meant that quite literally. I have no experience with broken ribs, in snakes or otherwise.
    Well that's okay- medical questions like this are best answered by a qualified herp veterinarian anyway, not here or anywhere online. There's no substitute for their knowledge & experience, or especially for seeing the snake in person. As far as what pain a snake perceives from an injury like broken ribs, I'm not at all sure that they have the extensive nervous system to perceive it the way humans or other higher animals do. Maybe they don't?

The only snake I've had with broken ribs was a w/c rosy boa, that was passed along to me as a rescuer. His ribs had healed that way (a little concave) & had done so well in his past- it didn't stop him from eating & surviving & moving around in the meantime, without medical help- so it makes me think this might not have been so painful as the same injury might have been for us? And obviously, there was no way to ask him. I assume that he avoided repeating any motions that might have hurt him while he was healing?

I have a hunch that where most of the pain (for a snake) comes in is when broken ribs get pushed further inward, into other organs & all that. When the ribs are allowed to heal in place (without doing collateral damage) they get stronger, even if they don't look quite right. Obviously some breaks are much worse (more damaging) than others too. As with humans & other animals- you can have a hairline fracture- just what it sounds like, with no displacement of the bones, or all the way to compound fractures with terrible displacement of the bones, & where on the body it occurs can also make some fractures worse than others. Like if ribs heal in such a way that they restrict the animal's breathing or digestion.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (02-06-2023),Ruby (02-06-2023)

Registered User Animallover3541's Avatar
    Thanks

99% of the time when the questions "should I see a vet?" is asked, the answer will be yes. If this is something new that you noticed in your animal, I would take them in. Wellnesses are generally recommended by most herp vets anyways, so it wouldn't hurt to get your snake in for an exam. Make sure you mention the fall.
    1.0.0 Red Stripe BP (Noodle)
    0.1.0 T. d. elegans (Carole)
    0.1.0 Fawn English Angora Rabbit (Petunia)
    0.1.0 Domestic Cat (Winnie)

"Life is better with a snake."

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Animallover3541 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-07-2023),GoingPostal (02-07-2023),Homebody (02-07-2023),Ruby (02-07-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Animallover3541 View Post
    99% of the time when the questions "should I see a vet?" is asked, the answer will be yes. If this is something new that you noticed in your animal, I would take them in. Wellnesses are generally recommended by most herp vets anyways, so it wouldn't hurt to get your snake in for an exam. Make sure you mention the fall.
    Yes thank you, this is my first BP and I was just curious if this was normal or if anyone else experienced something like this.

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby For This Useful Post:

Animallover3541 (02-07-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,177 Times in 1,174 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Animallover3541 View Post
    99% of the time when the questions "should I see a vet?" is asked, the answer will be yes.
    99% seems high. We hear that question from a lot of new keepers when their snake hasn't pooped in a week, or eaten in a month, or looked up. In those cases, we usually reassure them that this is perfectly normal behavior, and a vet visit is unnecessary. We also get that question from keepers that have observed something really strange, like Ruby here. Even then, we'll often suggest that the keeper wait and see if it repeats, or if it's accompanied by other concerning phenomena. Of course, if we get that question from a keeper whose pet is exhibiting symptoms that we know are serious, for example, from a respiratory infection or a burn. Then, we'll advise the keeper to see a vet. I just wouldn't say that's 99% of the time.

I don't mean to knock going to see a vet. I just suggest posting to the forum first. It may save you and your snake the stress of an unnecessary vet visit.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-07-2023),Malum Argenteum (02-07-2023),Ruby (02-07-2023),Spicey (02-07-2023)

Thanks

99% seems high. We hear that question from a lot of new keepers when their snake hasn't pooped in a week, or eaten in a month, or looked up. In those cases, we usually reassure them that this is perfectly normal behavior, and a vet visit is unnecessary. We also get that question from keepers that have observed something really strange, like Ruby here. Even then, we'll often suggest that the keeper wait and see if it repeats, or if it's accompanied by other concerning phenomena. Of course, if we get that question from a keeper whose pet is exhibiting symptoms that we know are serious, for example, from a respiratory infection or a burn. Then, we'll advise the keeper to see a vet. I just wouldn't say that's 99% of the time.

I don't mean to knock going to see a vet. I just suggest posting to the forum first. It may save you and your snake the stress of an unnecessary vet visit.
    I agree. Keepers that are new to snakes often have basic behavior & husbandry issues that need clarified, which are not ideal for busy vets, & we also worry that a vet may jump to the wrong conclusion if the issue isn't clearly defined, & prescribe meds that aren't needed & which can have detrimental side effects. Just the visit to a vet's office is stressful & somewhat harmful to snakes, & worse yet, I can't tell you how many times I've seen a vet over-restrain one of my snakes. I agree it's a fine line, & we are NOT here to substitute for veterinary help.

It also happens that a new keeper will read into every little thing their snake is doing, & panic- like when their snake is merely looking up (sniffing the air coming in, or just being curious & looking for things to climb on) but the newbie owner panics & thinks their snake is stargazing & dying of IBD because they're "read things" that they really didn't understand. We're here to help keepers understand what they're seeing in their pets, & if vet care is needed, help to ensure they get the most out of that interaction.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-07-2023 at 12:47 PM.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (02-07-2023),Malum Argenteum (02-07-2023),Ruby (02-07-2023)

Thanks

My snake is slightly underweight, is it possible that I've overreacted and those are just how her ribs look?

I've checked her again and those imprints seem to be all along her spine only when she curls up.

I thought it was in one localized area, but I was mistaken.

Or is it dehydration?
    If it's the latter what can I do about it?

I don't want to rule out fractured ribs, so I'm still going to take her to the vet for an x-ray.

Could her ribs be fractured all along her body?

She still takes her meals perfectly.
    Last edited by Ruby; 02-07-2023 at 05:49 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast