Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,384

1 members and 2,383 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

DiY Enclosures from Commercial Shelving

Recently purchased a large number of flats for what was intended for commercial shelving. The materials dimensions are:
    3/4” Coated HDF Boards? 2’x4’ and 2’x3’ panels. Assume it’s HDF, as it’s extremely heavy but it’s guess.

1/2” glass is also 2’x4’ and 2’x3’

Unsure on project time. Like to scale up similar to the sliding glass AP enclosures my BP’s are in. Expect final design to basically be a box, with an inset lip to accommodate sliding glass front panels. Approximately 4x4ft and 2ft deep. I’d also like to make some smaller ones after I get the final dimensions of the first one.

Here’s an ugly photo of the paint on my shoe. And some of the stacks of the materials I’m using. [IMG][/IMG]

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ThePain For This Useful Post:

Homebody (02-05-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    As long as this material is waterproofed. I know HDF is water resistant but you can count on the moisture from needed humidity, periodic cleaning, & water bowl spills, to do some damage over time, & after you put in your time & effort, you want your creation to last. But you're only limited by your skills, finances, & sense of adventure- Make sure you can move the enclosure you create, & also that it fits thru your doorways, or can be disassembled to do so. Hey, we'd love to see a thread on your project here too- you'll inspire others to get creative too.

As for your shoe, I don't trust any painter or handyman/handywoman with clean shoes.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-04-2023 at 05:03 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (02-05-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,177 Times in 1,174 Posts

Re: DiY Enclosures from Commercial Shelving

My mind spins with the possibilities. Can't wait to see what you come up with.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

Thanks
    Considering the weight of the glass, at 52lbs a pane, got some aluminum C-Channel today. One to silicone onto the sliding edges of glass for protection. The other to be the track the window will sit in. I have the panels stood up on the edge to hold the Channel in place as the silicone dries. I couldn’t get it nowhere near as tight on the top unless I clamp it. So I’m doing one side today, then flipping them tomorrow.

Note: Today slide test show track fitment looks good. Has slight gap in guide channel to accommodate strip. But friction in raw aluminum will need reduced. Possible lubricant or Teflon strip with felt. I’m guessing for now..

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ThePain For This Useful Post:

Homebody (02-05-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThePain View Post
    Considering the weight of the glass, at 52lbs a pane, got some aluminum C-Channel today. One to silicone onto the sliding edges of glass for protection. The other to be the track the window will sit in. I have the panels stood up on the edge to hold the Channel in place as the silicone dries. I couldn’t get it nowhere near as tight on the top unless I clamp it. So I’m doing one side today, then flipping them tomorrow.

Note: Today slide test show track fitment looks good. Has slight gap in guide channel to accommodate strip. But friction in raw aluminum will need reduced. Possible lubricant or Teflon strip with felt. I’m guessing for now..
    Many years ago I converted a cabinet to a snake home & used aluminum C channel for sliding glass doors. I found some narrow self-adhesive velvet-like strips that fit in the channel & allowed the glass panes to slide easily. I can't recall where I bought it though- might have been a craft & fabric store- & even if you can't find self-adhesive strips, you might find the right stuff you can glue in place. I wouldn't use any sort of lubricant, because it could transfer & sicken your animals- besides, lubricants are messy & need reapplication.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (02-05-2023),ThePain (02-05-2023)

Thanks

I've been thinking about adding felt to my channels, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Because my glass slides in vertically, there's less friction, so it's less of an issue for me.

Also, 1/2" glass is way thicker than you need and that 52 lbs is going to wear on you. Consider switching to 3/16" or even 1/8" and find another use for those 1/2" panels.
    Last edited by Homebody; 02-06-2023 at 11:01 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-06-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    I've been thinking about adding felt to my channels, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Because my glass slides in vertically, there's less friction, so it's less of an issue for me.

Also, 1/2" glass is way thicker than you need and that 52 lbs is going to wear on you. Consider switching to 3/16" or even 1/8" and find another use for those 1/2" panels.
    For sure! Good catch! 1/2" thick glass is massive & excessive.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (02-06-2023)

Thanks
    Yes, you’re right. They are excessive. In most cases it would not be at all reasonable. What can I say? You got me! 🍻

It may have been the whisper of a deal. Along with idle hands. 🤷

Been considering options to support the door. Such as hinges, like glass shower hinges. Or a roller set up. Either hidden in the track or external supported from a rod above.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ThePain For This Useful Post:

Homebody (02-06-2023)

Thanks

Yes, you’re right. They are excessive. In most cases it would not be at all reasonable. What can I say? You got me! 🍻

It may have been the whisper of a deal. Along with idle hands. 🤷

Been considering options to support the door. Such as hinges, like glass shower hinges. Or a roller set up. Either hidden in the track or external supported from a rod above.
    I understand. Been there. I also thought of rollers in the track, but I couldn't think of a way to do it that wouldn't cost more than buying a thinner piece of glass. I say you're in danger of throwing good money after bad. Do yourself a favor and sell that glass to someone that can use it.

Oh! and say you manage to engineer this thing together. It's gonna be a vault, a cage capable of holding a terrible monster. What are you going to put in there? One of the sweetest, gentlest creatures on God's good earth. It just doesn't make sense for a ball python.

I'm not the handiest guy in the world. If you are, maybe you can figure a way to make it work. I wish you luck. If it was me, I'd sell the whole lot, buy some 1/2 inch pvc sheet and 1/8" glass, and build an enclosure with that.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-06-2023),ThePain (02-07-2023)

Thanks
    Ball python in the 4Wx4T? I’m leaving......them in the 2x2x1Talls. 😆
    The 4x4 is for a huge green tree python. It would be great to have something large enough to put a nesting box in the bottom for her.

Also have a short tail python. Making her a 8Wx2T, possible 6W, as the base.

Overall the STP case will provide a 6-8ft base. That can fit the 4x4 GTP case, and the 4 stack of AP 2x1’s flush in a roughly 6x6 square.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ThePain For This Useful Post:

Homebody (02-08-2023)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast