Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,699

2 members and 2,697 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Co-Habitation Among Snakes

maybe a controversial subject idk - originally had this idea for this thread after i saw something in one of the “hot” groups i’m apart of where another keeper had 2 bushmasters in the same enclosure - then while researching anacondas today i saw a report about the Milwaukee County Zoo where, in their announcement of their new green anaconda acquisition/exhibit in which they said they were going to re-add a red tail boa as soon as they “made sure Olive (anaconda) didn’t see them as prey” - so what is the real scoop on this?

article:
    https://www.cbs58.com/news/milwaukee...anaconda-olive
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 02-04-2023 at 03:35 PM.
    het for nothing but groovy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Homebody (02-04-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Well, snakes are predators. Some make a habit of preying on other snakes or reptiles, but even among those that do not, there is still a risk.

I would consider that what a zoo might be willing to do (to maximize exhibit space with additional snakes at the risk of losing to predation a commonly available creature like a boa) might be very different than what you or I would choose to risk with our pets- at least, speaking for myself- I wouldn't do it, because I've seen first hand that snakes that do NOT feed on other snakes will still sometimes go rogue, killing & trying to eat their intended mate. Yes, even very well-fed snakes. Accidental bites to "room-mates" also happen, just because one responds to the sudden motion of another, with no intention to harm much less consume the other snake. Been there & seen that too. Snakes will be snakes.

But if you want to risk your animals, that's your personal decision...just not what most here would recommend, & if it goes badly, we might even be tempted to say "I told you so". If zookeepers never made mistakes, there would never be escaped animals from zoos, or injuries to keepers & others, or untimely deaths of zoo animals, would there?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-05-2023 at 07:11 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (02-17-2023),GoingPostal (02-05-2023),Homebody (02-04-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Co-Habitation Among Snakes

A few years ago I cohabited two female albinos for a short while … I now have SIX Albino Royals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-04-2023),Caitlin (02-17-2023),GoingPostal (02-05-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,176 Posts

I don't see how it benefits the snake. Snakes aren't social. You do see masses of snakes wintering together in the wild. So they're probably more social than we give them credit for, but that's a very different situation than living together 24/7/365 in a confined space. I think that would overwhelm most snakes meager social skills. It tries even people's social skills.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-04-2023),GoingPostal (02-05-2023),Malum Argenteum (02-04-2023)

Thanks
    Occupying the same general area in nature is FAR different from snakes being kept together in the same indoor habitat, no matter how well-conceived. In the wild, they're free to come & go, & no doubt the limited amount of air space for captive snakes (with otherwise subtle scents becoming concentrated) might also play a role? There are some snakes that appear to live together in harmony in the wild (such as some rattlesnakes- see videos provided by ASP- or king cobras, per some accounts) but they're the exceptions, not the rule. And those are venomous snakes, not constrictors, so perhaps boids & other snakes are "wired differently"?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,077 Times in 414 Posts
    It is kind of funny how so often the implication is that zoos set the standards in husbandry, or something to that effect. Once a person realizes that this whole animal welfare PR from zoos is questionably accurate everything starts to make more sense. Relevant if slightly dated book: Animal Underworld. There are still zoo offspring being sold at herp expos to literally anyone with money, so at least some of the stuff uncovered in the book still happens.

One thing to keep in mind is that zoos have a big version of that horrible affliction "empty enclosure syndrome", where a keeper has spare cage laying around and needs to shoehorn something into it. They need to fill enclosures with things that masses of people who don't know much about animals are going to pay $22.50 to see (and eat mediocre burgers in the cafe, and at least in the case of MPZ pay to ride the train and the zipline too). I personally think it questionable when hobby keepers get an animal just to fill a cage; it isn't any better when zoos do it.

“made sure Olive (anaconda) didn’t see them as prey.” Not sure where to start with that one. Perhaps this review of published documentation of Eunectes diet would be the most straightforward way to show what a foolish statement this is.

https://journals.ku.edu/reptilesanda...ad/15504/14058

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-04-2023),Caitlin (02-17-2023),Homebody (02-04-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    It is kind of funny how so often the implication is that zoos set the standards in husbandry...
    One would hope. In some of the best zoos maybe, but sadly, it's most often not the case. Zoos often have specialties they excel in- likely by virtue of having attracted very dedicated staff- so some departments may be better than others. A modest zoo might excel in herps, thanks to an excellent staff, while a world-renowned zoo might focus elsewhere & just "get by" in the reptile department.
    We have to be careful not to make assumptions. I've been "behind the scenes" in the reptile house in a large metropolitan zoo, & another mid-size city zoo, & didn't see anything that actually impressed me- quite the contrary.

When you consider that zoos may only focus on display, not reproduction & preservation of the species or on research, it's easy to see how dedicated "hobbyists" & private breeders can make a huge contribution. Zoos have to make ends meet, so they have to sell tickets & attract donors- this can require different priorities- there's often some "show biz" involved.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (02-05-2023),Malum Argenteum (02-04-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I do not believe in cohabitating any animal that doesn't benefit from it. With 99% of snakes, it's the opposite. They are solitary creatures and do not want company. Many people see snakes in pet stores that are kept together and say, oh look, they are cuddling. In actuality, they are all wanting the same spot because of temp and another snake just happens to be there. That doesn't get into species that will eat other snakes, even their own species at times.

Another issue with cohabiting snakes is feeding. Not safe to feed both in one enclosure unless enclosure is huge and they are both fed at the same time and observed. In other words, in 99% of home instances, the snakes would have to be separated to feed. Not a good idea in general, IMO, and definitely not with constrictors like pythons and boas, etc. I can just imagine trying to move my female BI back into her enclosure after feeding separately. Good luck not getting bit or worse.

One exception for snakes is garter snakes. Although they definitely do not need to be cohabitated, they often do in the wild and it can work in captivity. However, anyone say babies?

I also see people cohabiting snakes that are new with snakes that are established. They shouldn't be in the same room, let alone the same tank. I guess if you are going to put snakes together who shouldn't be kept together your probably don't know about or follow proper quarantine rules anyway.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-05-2023),Homebody (02-05-2023),Malum Argenteum (02-04-2023)

Thanks
    will have to get to all the replies individually here in a bit but i would say for now that my initial assumption was that what applies to arachnids re: cohabitation applies to snakes but then i kept seeing these things from experienced keepers/zoos and thought “well maybe i am wrong” and couldn’t tell if this was a “we set up a communal and here is a long rationalization for it” or if again, i was wrong
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 02-04-2023 at 10:13 PM.
    het for nothing but groovy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    Like Dak said, garters are about the only exception I'm aware of where cohabiting is not only acceptable but encouraged, especially when young as accounts say they feed more readily with company and overall are an unusually gregarious type by snake standards.

Anything else, let alone mix and matching entirely different species, is putting potential undue stress to both/all parties at best to setting a timer till one of them gets just a little too hungry/territorial at worst...

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-05-2023),Homebody (02-05-2023)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast