Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,847

0 members and 2,847 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

I have two concerns about my new ball python

About two weeks ago I got a hatchling ball python.
    She eats really well, I fed her this past friday but she ate some of her substrate
    (Forest floor "cypress mulch") it was a medium-sized wood chip and I'm concerned about it

She pooped yesterday but I didn't see the mulch (she ate the mulch after the rat)

Un related to the incident she's fallen twice while I was holding her,
    She fell around 3-4 feet onto concrete but she's acting normal.
    I feel terrible should I take her to the vet? I want her to live a long and happy life

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: I have two concerns about my new ball python

This is a pretty common issue.

Ball pythons will ingest foreign matter with their meals in the wild as well.
    I would not be overly concerned unless you notice that the hatchling stops eating or appears to be disproportionately bloated in one section of the body.
    A larger snake of course will have an easier time passing larger wood chips. As long as there is not a blockage: time will resolve the issue.
    A lot of keepers who keep their BPs on edible substrates will feed off of a paper plate, dish, or a flat rock. This still does not guarantee that the snake will not ingest some of its bedding, it just improves the odds.

As for the ball python falling...they can be quite clumsy and the bigger they are-the harder they fall.
    A 3-4 foot drop for a hatchling would be painful (and not recommended), but, unless they fall 'on something' which creates a focused area of pressure...I would not be concerned.

Imo taking a ball python hatchling to the vet is a big gamble. The stress on the snake would be enormous and i would not do it unless I was fairly certain the snake would die otherwise.

Just my two cents.
    *.* TNTC

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-01-2023),Homebody (02-01-2023),Ruby (02-01-2023)

Thanks

Thank you, I'll try not to be too concerned.
    Is there anything else I should look out for?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I agree with Lord Sorril's post above- in the future, try to avoid letting your snake ingest substrate, or falling, but it does happen now & then and your snake will probably be alright.

Do watch for symptoms that suggest otherwise- but from what you've said, a vet visit without a clear need would cause more stress on your snake & might cause them to stop eating for you.

By the way, I notice you're new here- We're glad to have you join us, & we'll be happy to help you figure out your new pet if you have other questions.

And with any new snake, for best results, it's best not to handle them until they've fed 3 times for you without refusing (unless they're in shed, then it's normal for them not to eat).

Also, it's best not to handle them for at least a day (or 2, for larger meals) after they've eaten. Otherwise, they may regurgitate the meal they just had, & that is truly bad for them.

So for now, just be content to watch your new pet without handling. New homes are very scary to snakes- it takes time for them to feel safe. It's a good sign that your snake just ate for you-
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (02-01-2023),Homebody (02-01-2023),Ruby (02-01-2023)

Thanks

Thank you! I think she's been doing good.
    She hides during the day but explores her enclosure at night.
    I don't think she's doing anything out of the ordinary.

I let her settle in for a week when I got her and she took her meal perfectly,
    After she ate I waited 3 days before handling her daily.

Ive had her for two weeks now and she hasn't refused a meal.

Am I handling too much too soon? She doesn't seem to be stressed.
    This seems like a wonderful community thank you for being so welcoming

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-01-2023)

Thanks
    So she's eaten once for you now, or twice? Either way, snakes are very stoic- they don't show their emotions- so I'd advise you to take it slow with handling. She can't tell you she's stressed, so just assume she is, & take it slow.

It's much better to be patient with snakes- it's no fun when they refuse to eat, & with a young snake, eating is much more important for their health. They need time to grow & get strong.

Don't forget that she was stressed in the selling process too, before you got her- especially if she came from a pet store, or was shipped (to you or to the store). What that means is that (just like with humans), she was likely exposed to various germs along the way (including those carried by other snakes), & much like us, a snake's immune system works best when they live a low-stress life. Right now, you want her to be healthy- to eat well & be able to fight off any germs she might have been exposed to before you got her. Does that make sense?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (02-01-2023),Ruby (02-01-2023)

Thanks

Yes, thank you. I'll leave her alone for a bit and not handle her too much.
    I've fed her twice and going to feed her this Friday.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-01-2023)

Thanks
    It helps to remember that snakes are not domestic animals, & that in the wild, the only thing that normally picks them up is a predator that's about to EAT them. Most snakes learn to accept our handling as "harmless" in time, but it's just better for them to go slow. Remember we're also "giants" to them.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ruby (02-01-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I hate to ask, but how did your snake fall?

Regardless, accidents can happen, but try to eliminate the possibly as much as you can.

If holding, sit down with your snake so you are close to the ground if you have a dropping issue.

Snakes can withstand a lot, but I wouldn't be testing that theory regularly.

Also, BP's are not good climbers and I see many people put them around their necks. Some snakes, like boas and Carpet pythons can do well with this, but keepers still need to be very careful. BP's you have to be much more careful. I recommend, certainly for beginner keepers and smaller snakes not to do this.

When my female boa/BI (Behira) was about 1 1/2 I let a friend hold her. She put her around her neck, which was fine, but then got spooked and shot her hand back knocking Behira off. She fell, but hit carpet, and was okay. I tried to grab her but it happened too fast. Still, I am much more careful about who holds my animals now and how I supervise. I am also explicit about instructions on how to handle.

Finally, ingesting substrate is not ideal. I would have smaller particles substrate. I also suggest new snakes be kept on printless newspaper or paper towels, etc. Easier to see if there is something wrong like mites, etc. With your setup, per other posts, it might not be an option for you because of humidity issues with a glass tank and open/mesh top.
    Last edited by dakski; 02-03-2023 at 11:19 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Ruby (02-06-2023)