Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,967

1 members and 1,966 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

The Bamboo morph

Hello All,
    I recently purchased another ball python. This time was a beautiful bamboo male. I have loved bamboos since I started getting into snakes. He is a paradox too. I talked it up with a man at the local reptile expo here that is held twice a month. He had several bamboos for sale and I just couldn't resist. At one point I had five of them iny hand and was examining each one. Lol. He had a beautiful bamboo Enchi, I like the greyer scale ones but the paradox boy caught my eye and I ended up with him. My question, I like his bamboo Enchi girl as well. I know you can make BELs with them, then bamboos then normals. What other genes would you suggest breeding a bamboo with? I understand it is all what you personally like. But is there anything to avoid? I really love that bamboo striping they have and like I said, I like them on the grey side (my guy is more beige). Enchi cleans it up I know. Just wondering what sort of things anyone more experienced would throw in there??

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,897 Times in 835 Posts
    Since Bamboo is in the BEL complex here are what I would be wary on breeding him with:

Albinos with BEL complex genes
    Albino BEL can have microphthalmia. This is also called small eyes or bead eyes. I've mostly seen it with Super Lesser, Super Mojave, super Russo's, and Mojave russos on morph market searches. I've also seen one that was a single gene Mojave albino with it.

Pied with BEL complex genes
    Pied and BEL is another combo that can cause the small eyes to happen. I haven't seen it with the single gene of a morph like with the albino though.

I think most other combos would be fine though. Just those two to watch for methinks.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

JJpeep (01-23-2023)

Thanks

Re: The Bamboo morph

Bamboo is pretty delicate so any really strong gene I think tends to kind of cover it up. Personally I like bamboo with banana, but that might just be because I want them to be called "banamboos". I think the potential of bamboo is really only starting to be explored so it's a very exciting gene to work with!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plateOfFlan For This Useful Post:

Homebody (01-23-2023),JJpeep (01-23-2023)

Thanks

Thank You for the information on the Albino BEL, actually have never heard of that. Good to know I really appreciate your reply.

Thanks

That is good to know. I really like the look of bamboo, so I would probably steer clear of something that would break that pattern up.

Thanks

Oh, I totally forgot - calico/sugar will do some crazy stuff along the belly with bamboo

9. The Following User Says Thank You to plateOfFlan For This Useful Post:

Homebody (01-23-2023)

Thanks

Thanks for the input. I actually love calico. I have an OD Enchi Calico. I think that flare up of white brings it to another level.