Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,426

0 members and 2,426 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts
    were you provided lineage that traces back to the founder animals for the albino project(s)? If there are any question marks in the lineage of the animal it can't be claimed to be 100% pure colombian. I am aware of only a couple pastel projects and one locality (barranquilla) for colombian boas that can verifiably be traced back to wild caught founder animals.
    "Colombian Boa" is very often a catch all term to describe common morph boas and normal byproducts of morph projects
    Last edited by jmcrook; 02-20-2023 at 02:41 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-20-2023),Homebody (02-20-2023),YungRasputin (02-20-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    A good read about boas from Colombia.

https://www.boa-constrictors.com/en/...ictor_colombia

Another page about BI/BCI boas
    https://www.boa-constrictors.com/en/...ctor_imperator

And another.
    https://www.boa-constrictors.com/en/...rator_columbia

It is most unfortunate that people were more interested in creating fancy morphs than preserving locality specimens.

These days the Colombian boa equals the common boa. That shouldn't be the case as there are very few 100% traceable animals from Colombia.

This animal is a pure Colombian BI/BCI.

Gus Rentfro, I'm told by a friend, almost called the Barranquilla, Colombian boas BC/BCC but because he was not 100% certain he designated them BI/BCI.

As stated above in this post and the previous, there are very few boas that can claim 100% Colombian status.
    Last edited by Gio; 02-20-2023 at 03:45 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-20-2023),jmcrook (02-20-2023),YungRasputin (02-20-2023)

Thanks
    i do appreciate this info, i’m not really sure what to say past that other than the info provided is just as they were sold to me - i did not get any like detailed lineage Print-out but at the same time, i don’t think my normal would be “morph byproduct” insomuch as no traits were listed which if they were they probably could’ve got more money - with my Kahl albino i assumed that given that he was just 100% visual Kahl that this would mean he could’ve hailed from the original Kahl founders and there too nothing else was listed except “Kahl” and “Colombia”

the T+ albino is just something i’m interested in because of my Burms - i loved the way they looked and I looked up the same in BCIs and thought the same - i was assuming it was possible that there was 100% Colombian who were also T+ albinos
    het for nothing but groovy

Thanks

Re: Padawan Breeder Questions

Quote Originally Posted by YungRasputin View Post

that’s kind of where I stand on morphs - i prefer normal types of pure locality but i also think albinos are cool because a) outside of photophobia in T+ albino Colombians i haven’t seen any health defects in albino Burms and Colombians and b) while perhaps really rare, it’s something which could conceivably happen in the wild but that’s moreso my mindset here to put it more plainly
    Albino in boas is possibly associated with greater incidence of bug-eyes, not sure if this is T+ albinism, I think he said they're Kahl? (video is somewhat graphic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMKewh3cs-o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LZvqpAlGSE

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plateOfFlan View Post
    Albino in boas is possibly associated with greater incidence of bug-eyes, not sure if this is T+ albinism, I think he said they're Kahl? (video is somewhat graphic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMKewh3cs-o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LZvqpAlGSE
    i am skeptical about this only insomuch as there were several listed traits in conjunction with the stated albinism so i think given that the conclusions presented in the video are questionable - i think it would be more conclusive if the subject breeders involved were exclusively Kahl line albino, Sharp albino, etc becuz! in researching this in conjunction with the discussions in this thread that there are a lot of albinos available but they often possess other traits like motley, jungle, leopard, etc - which from what i’ve seen so far have their own issues eg: leopard morphs have generalized digestive issues

i suppose you could say i am talking about “pure albino” types eg: Kahl is the only traut outside of locality, T+ albinism is the only trait outside of locality, etc - that sort of thing - i don’t have any interest in the whole leopard, motley, etc stuff
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 02-20-2023 at 05:02 PM.

Thanks
    my mindset when selecting my albino was simply that i wanted a “wild type” albino and when i researched this i saw that the Kahl line was founded through wild albinos from Colombia so with that i found a specimen listed as being both “Colombian” and “Kahl albino” - this was the same sort of mindset as with my normal, my goal was the opposite of most in that i specifically sought out a specimen that had zero listed traits outside of “Colombia” i wanted her to be as normal as normal can be - that’s the same sort of thing i am after with respect to T+ albinos (if it’s even possible/they exist)

Thanks
    With all of the original founder animal sources/localities that started these albino projects, many listings will say for example "Nicaraguan T+ albino", "Costa Rican T+ albino", etc. This does not inherently mean that the animals are pure locality examples of these mutations. Rather it simply means that these are the particular strains of albinism carried by those animals, and is not a guaranteed representation of their lineage and locality unless that can be honestly and reliably provided by the breeder

Similar with examples of motley boas listed as Colombian Motley. That simply means it is the Motley mutation that was originally produced from boas of colombian origin as opposed to motley boas of Argentine origin. A Colombian Kahl or Sharp albino is not a guarantee of pure, non outcrossed, colombian lineage. Rather it is an example of that trait which originated in colombian boas and was subsequently bred to everything with a cloaca to produce more of them.

Mind sharing who you acquired your boas from? This will help to provide insights.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-20-2023),Gio (02-21-2023),Malum Argenteum (02-20-2023),YungRasputin (02-20-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    With all of the original founder animal sources/localities that started these albino projects, many listings will say for example "Nicaraguan T+ albino", "Costa Rican T+ albino", etc. This does not inherently mean that the animals are pure locality examples of these mutations. Rather it simply means that these are the particular strains of albinism carried by those animals, and is not a guaranteed representation of their lineage and locality unless that can be honestly and reliably provided by the breeder

Similar with examples of motley boas listed as Colombian Motley. That simply means it is the Motley mutation that was originally produced from boas of colombian origin as opposed to motley boas of Argentine origin. A Colombian Kahl or Sharp albino is not a guarantee of pure, non outcrossed, colombian lineage. Rather it is an example of that trait which originated in colombian boas and was subsequently bred to everything with a cloaca to produce more of them.

Mind sharing who you acquired your boas from? This will help to provide insights.
    Extraordinary Ectotherms

Thanks
    i also apologize if i seem a little defensive it’s just finding out that my both my coastals and Colombians may not be the pure locality types as advertised, back to back, is most frustrating needless to say lol
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 02-20-2023 at 10:31 PM.

Thanks
    Your Rockhamptons are legit for that locality based on the breeder I know you purchased them from. You've been suggested previously, and I will suggest again, that you obtain quality, recently published literature by reputable authors on the subject of carpet pythons regarding the species designation of your carpets. Not listing links as I've been dinged for that in the past. Do your homework accordingly.

Your "Colombian" boas however I can confidently assure you are not pure Colombian locality boas given their source. Not dogging on that seller necessarily though. Most of the animals he has listed are being flipped as wholesale purchases from other breeders. Long and extensive periods of thorough research of localities/breeders/breeding stock/origins of breeding stock/lineage records/documentation of breeding pairs and who they came from/etc are necessary to be given honest assurance that what you are buying is what indeed you hope it to be. Let the buyer beware as they say...
    Last edited by jmcrook; 02-21-2023 at 01:12 AM.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-21-2023),Gio (02-21-2023),Homebody (02-21-2023),Malum Argenteum (02-21-2023),YungRasputin (02-21-2023)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast