Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,889

1 members and 2,888 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Padawan Breeder Questions

rather than start a million threads with all my various breeding questions i thought it would be better to start 1 big thread that i can funnel them all into and too overtime as they come up because as previously stated in other threads, i have a lot of time and work to do between now and actually breeding

today’s questions center mainly on pure locality breeding:

-1: how do you establish pure locality breeding lines without inbreeding?

-2: how would you replace a rare locality specimen without inbreeding when it could be next to impossible to find both a specimen from that species and more than that, is the correct sex that’s needed?

expounding on 1: my confusion is take for example my Colombian Red Tails (CRTs) - my plan is to breed them and sell off all the offspring - as they closer to old age and begin to show signs of decline how could i preserve said line? should i hold back a female and then later pair that female with a 100% pure CRT male?

which that seems easy with the CRTs as finding pure Colombians is not impossible just difficult but what about more rare localities like say my Rockhampton coastals or my Great Basin gophers? because I’m thinking about this it’s like, worse comes to worse “in theory” (depending on Nevada/Utah law) i could go to the Great Basin desert and WC a breeding pair - i however could do not go to Australia and do the same because from what i understand they’ve banned animal exports
    het for nothing but groovy

Thanks
    if the above sounds confusing it’s basically what i would call a “run vs line” question - a “run” would be, for example, i breed my Rockhampton coastals for their lifecycle, then when 1 dies, the other becomes my pet, and i find a new breeding project - a “line” would be the opposite of that and i am actually establishing a permanent breeding line specific to that species and locality
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 01-19-2023 at 01:01 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 399 Posts

Re: Padawan Breeder Questions

Quote Originally Posted by YungRasputin View Post
    i however could do not go to Australia and do the same because from what i understand they’ve banned animal exports
    Yes, they've always been banned, basically -- Australian federal legislation is only a couple decades old, but states had their own protections that predated pretty much any exports.

That's a captive husbandry problem with smuggled lineage animals like the carpets you mention -- it isn't really possible to figure out which specimens are related to the rest. I suppose with these locality lines it might be easier, since the smuggling was much more recent ('localities' of all these species is a pretty new thing, certainly newer than AU federal protections). That's not to suggest that such species or lines are worthier projects, since the 'rare species/locale' hook encourages more trafficking (once one has lost its luster, new locales/species are needed).

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Homebody (01-19-2023),YungRasputin (01-19-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    Yes, they've always been banned, basically -- Australian federal legislation is only a couple decades old, but states had their own protections that predated pretty much any exports.

That's a captive husbandry problem with smuggled lineage animals like the carpets you mention -- it isn't really possible to figure out which specimens are related to the rest. I suppose with these locality lines it might be easier, since the smuggling was much more recent ('localities' of all these species is a pretty new thing, certainly newer than AU federal protections). That's not to suggest that such species or lines are worthier projects, since the 'rare species/locale' hook encourages more trafficking (once one has lost its luster, new locales/species are needed).
    i am unsure as to the full history of the Rockhampton coastal python locality within the US hobby - i don’t want to use ignorance as an excuse but i assumed that given that i used the top rated marketplace for reptiles in the US (MorphMarket) and got this pair from an established seller that had 100% rating, that everything would be on the “up and up” - which may have been naïve perhaps on my part but yes

with that said i think your comments do make things even more complicated for me as i don’t want to be associated with anything to do with smuggling/trafficking or the promotion thereof - i only want to be involved in/support ethical/legal import and export

i would also so that while i can’t control the market or the desires of consumers my vision is simply to provide rare specimens for collectors and (hopefully) zoos as my standard is to try to have “zoo quality” or even “conservation level” purity in my runs or lines - i v much wish to highlight the natural awesomeness of my projects and provide collectors like me options

eg: at one point my 1/4th of my arachnid collection was nothing but different locality forms of P. murinus/Orange Baboon Tarantulas (OBTs) - i loved my initial Usambara Mountain locality form and the species so i wanted to use my collection space to have each locality and compare them

^i am sure there are lots of snake hobbyists like this who may want to focus on a particular species and the different localities of that species - those are the sorts of people i want to cater too so the “rare” part to me/those collectors is moreso of finding a consistent source for that locality rather than a fleeting stop in the pursuit of fad ownerships - it’s like yeah the San Diego locality gophers may be more popular and easily available but you also need a source for the other localities to “complete the set” - if this makes sense

consideration for permanent lines vs. temporary runs has a lot to do with my own personal goals as well as professional considerations - like, i want to make my gopher project permanent because i think the idea of having a nonvenomous rattlesnake is awesome and likewise, i might replace my CRT pair with for example, a black head python pair simply because their on my bucket list and i think they’re gorgeous

of course just because i think and feel this way doesn’t negate what you say but i just wanted to say all that you know ftr
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 01-19-2023 at 02:59 PM.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 827 Posts
    Sadly, people find a way to get animals in.
    There's someone on MM recently using a friend's death to 'inherit' multiple animals from Australia. And has openly said how excited they are to have new pure lines available soon in the US. So who knows how well even that sort of thing is managed there.

Mostly on the outside looking in on localities and different lines of species...but this is my take on a bit. Someone with better knowledge can feel free to correct me.
    Regarding the line issue. It can be really difficult. Especially when it comes to the more protected species and imports. Dwarf retics are one of the ones being bred as locality lines. You'll see a lot of % numbers being thrown around between them. That's because of the outcrossing for particular genes or mixing of the localities. Once you outcross, no matter how much you cross back to that locality, it will never be pure again.
    Otherwise... You ideally would want a few pairs from the localities you want that way you could cross the offspring from one pair into another. Some line breeding in reptiles isn't as bad as it is on mammals, but to be safe, you want to avoid it as much as possible when you can.
    Being local to an area where you are allowed to collect can be a great boon to this sort of thing, but as long as it's done responsibly. But also remember you're looking at needing to deworm and medicate all of those animals as well, so starting with something like a group of 3.6 or such feels better to me than herping for what I need. It can also be a bit more expensive, but you can look for breeders who keep meticulous records for their lines as well. That way you can be sure that the line hasn't been fuddled with something else.
    Last edited by Armiyana; 01-19-2023 at 03:11 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-19-2023),Homebody (01-19-2023),YungRasputin (01-19-2023)

Thanks
    "Sadly, people find a way to get animals in.
    There's someone on MM recently using a friend's death to 'inherit' multiple animals from Australia. And has openly said how excited they are to have new pure lines available soon in the US. So who knows how well even that sort of thing is managed there."

According to CITES records, Australia has not ever permitted the export of a live specimen of a listed snake species for personal ("pet") use. Not once.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-19-2023),Homebody (01-19-2023),YungRasputin (01-19-2023)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 827 Posts
    All I know is the person claims to have dozens of animals coming in from Australia. *Shrug*

"Anyway, bare with me for the next 3 weeks. I have to travel to North Dakota, then to Brisbane AU to get the inherited animals from Earl’s collection.

New GTP, Carpet and PIED and Ivory Ball python lines coming to the US!!!

About 86 specimens to be exact."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Homebody (01-19-2023)

Thanks
    Yes, I saw that post.

Thanks
    i went thru my messages and for what it’s worth, the description records state that my Rockhamptons were USCBB from a 2013 pair that my breeder obtained from another breeder (which i don’t want to say specific names but i’ve seen their name a lot and they seem to be an established breeder that’s focused on Morelia species let’s say) - now with that said how or when did the original pair from the original importer enter the US i’m not sure
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 01-19-2023 at 10:24 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (01-19-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by YungRasputin View Post
    i went thru my messages and for what it’s worth, the description records state that my Rockhamptons were USCBB from a 2013 pair that my breeder obtained from another breeder (which i don’t want to say specific names but i’ve seen their name a lot and they seem to be an established breeder that’s focused on Morelia species let’s say) - now with that said how or when did the original pair from the original importer enter the US i’m not sure
    It would seem highly unlikely that the chain of custody on this line is not known. So, it is simply a matter of talking to people and tracing back until one finds a permitted export from Australia, or not.

Where certain lines came from and whose hands they passed through would be interesting to know in any event.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (01-19-2023)

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast