Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 979

1 members and 978 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Blocking screens on top of enclosures...what is the best option? Acrylic, PVC sheet?

I know this is frequently done with metal tape but I'd like to use something more aesthetically pleasing if possible. I have some acrylic sheets I can cut a hole in or leave a gap around lighting to avoid melting/fire hazard but I'm now sure what clearances I would need to be safe for something like a CHE. I've also seen some Youtube videos suggesting thin flexible PVC sheets available from big box hardware stores work well. Anybody using these?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ambassador For This Useful Post:

Homebody (01-13-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    I've heard of people using acrylic & plexi-glass sheets cut for this purpose, but I don't know exactly what clearance is required- I'd prefer to "error on the side of caution" (use generous clearance).

This is the nicest looking & most professional way to block air-flow on a screen top- it's just that it's also the most pricey method & takes some professional skill to cut it right, so it should be no surprise that it's not the most commonly used. Many similar materials can be used- I love cruising home improvement stores just for getting "alternative" ideas for various projects.

You should also be able to google safety clearance for these materials- measure the hottest temperature your CHE will achieve.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (01-14-2023),Homebody (01-13-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Blocking screens on top of enclosures...what is the best option? Acrylic, PVC she

I'd also check the heat tolerance of the PVC you want to use. Depending on the height of the enclosure, wattage of CHE, and quality and type of thermostat you are using, the CHE might not get hot enough to melt the PVC, but you never know. Probably risky to use a thinner PVC sheet for sure.

I've used aluminum foil in the past. Can go in the oven, so no worries with heat there. You just have to be careful not to tear it and to get it to seal pretty well (may take multiple layers). It also doesn't look great.

Ultimately, you should consider a proper PVC cage IF you are having trouble keeping heat and/or humidity in. These tanks can use Radiant Heat Panels (RHP) and heat tape, etc. and do a great job of keeping both heat and humidity in. They can also be much bigger and much lighter (relative).

If you want to go that route, many people on here use Animal Plastics and Boaphile. I have the latter and love them. Nothing against AP, I've just never used them. I believe reptile basics has some cages now too, as well as a bunch of others. Just ask if that's something you are considering.

For now, the aluminum foil could be good.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-14-2023),Homebody (01-14-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 418 Posts

Re: Blocking screens on top of enclosures...what is the best option? Acrylic, PVC she

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Ultimately, you should consider a proper PVC cage IF you are having trouble keeping heat and/or humidity in. These tanks can use Radiant Heat Panels (RHP) and heat tape, etc. and do a great job of keeping both heat and humidity in. They can also be much bigger and much lighter (relative).
    This, really.

I use acrylic over the screen tops on ExoTerras used as dart frog enclosures (no supplemental heat), and other than the moisture induced warping that wouldn't be much of a factor in a BP enclosure it works fine. I've built a few things for aquarium use out of heat-bent acrylic; it does not take much heat to soften it, and I wouldn't get it anywhere near a CHE. No idea what safe clearances would be, though.

Something better looking than aluminum foil might be aluminum sheet. Tools would be needed to shape it (a hole saw to cut out for the CHE and then a file to smooth the edges) but it would be safe and likely look pretty decent.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-14-2023),dakski (01-14-2023),Homebody (01-14-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    Something I did for my tarantula was make a line of superglue along the inside rim and then attached the tinfoil on the underside of the lid and then poked ventilation holes accordingly. Not sure if such a method would work for a snake though since you'll need a hole for the heat source and that will probably give the snake the chance to eventually bump into and pull the tinfoil sheet(s) down.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    Something I did for my tarantula was make a line of superglue along the inside rim and then attached the tinfoil on the underside of the lid and then poked ventilation holes accordingly. Not sure if such a method would work for a snake though since you'll need a hole for the heat source and that will probably give the snake the chance to eventually bump into and pull the tinfoil sheet(s) down.
    I think tin foil is way too "fragile" to be inside where a snake- sooner or later- would rub against it & turn it into an "epic foil"-
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (01-14-2023)