Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,860

1 members and 2,859 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

New BP Soon! Question about timing, choices etc.

Hi gang!

We owned a great pied ball python a couple years ago, and it was fantastic and we really enjoyed it… We had mainly owned Burmese pythons and boa constrictors… Rainbow boa, and Columbian red tails.

Once my daughter was born, I wanted to introduce her to the wonderful world of reptiles mainly snakes, and it was a terrific experience, watching her interact and learn about this incredible creature.

We took our time found a great breeder locally in Georgia build an incredible habitat but then we had to relocate and sold our house and there were some significant delay with our new house being ready so we were not able to keep the snake so we found another really great home for it but now we are ready to get another. We are looking at a super lesser (BEL).

I’m going to order another animal plastics AP10 or maybe even a AP11 - but I know there’s some delay in getting it… Some people have reported 30 days but their website reports much longer.

So I need to make a decision first on where to get the snake and second on how to house it before the new enclosure arrives and is able to be set up.

We only plan to feed frozen thawed having done that in the past and I have read numerous instructions and watched videos on how to convert although I’ve never transitioned a young snake from live hoppers to frozen so hopefully that won’t be too big a deal?

We are in South Florida sell the weather is warm year round… Heck it’s January right now and today it’s 85.

There is an upcoming reptile show, and while I may be able to save a few dollars I still think I’d rather buy from a reputable breeder but I would consider it if you guys think the show is a reasonable choice to get a healthy BP at a good price. Price is definitely not the most important factor..

Purchase Options:

FYI we are looking for a female young super lesser BEL.

1. Purchase locally from local Breeder of MorphMarket within driving distance maybe two or three hours away… I see a couple of really nice ones in the $300 to $400 range but they are feeding on live right now so I wonder how difficult it’ll be the transition him right away to frozen/thawed, and ALSO doing so in a temporary habitat, which is gonna be my next question down below..

2. Purchase from a reputable breeder off Morphmarket but getting one that’s already eating frozen thawed but most likely will have to have it shipped to me.

3. There is a reptile show in West Palm about five minutes away from me in about three weeks so I could possibly pick up one there but I don’t know if purchasing at a reptile show is less desirable than buying from a reputable breeder, since you will already know the traits of the snake, and his health, the current feeding arrangement. I’ve never bought from a show so I’m not 100% sure I could be wrong and I’m welcome to feedback on that.

My next question is in regard to habitat.

I will be ordering another cage from Animal Plastics along with their installed radiant heat panel and thermostat. I had terrific success with that last time but I know the turnaround time could be 30 to 60 days so I wanted to set up a temporary habitat.

I have a few glass tanks here at home, but my experience with the humidity was a problem last time, even with moss and misting and everything else I just couldn’t get it right I don’t mind using a tub although I’ve never done it but I also worry about how hard it’ll be to feed in a tub trying to transition from Live to frozen? The AP will be an expensive set up when it’s all said and done so I’d rather not drop a ton on the temporary but again I want what’s best for the animal first and foremost

Any feed back is welcome and thank you in advance

NK
    Last edited by The Night King; 01-06-2023 at 11:35 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,164 Posts

Re: New BP Soon! Question about timing, choices etc.

Quote Originally Posted by The Night King View Post
    Purchase Options:

FYI we are looking for a female young super lesser BEL.

1. Purchase locally from local Breeder of MorphMarket within driving distance maybe two or three hours away… I see a couple of really nice ones in the $300 to $400 range but they are feeding on live right now so I wonder how difficult it’ll be the transition him right away to frozen/thawed, and ALSO doing so in a temporary habitat, which is gonna be my next question down below..

2. Purchase from a reputable breeder off Morphmarket but getting one that’s already eating frozen thawed but most likely will have to have it shipped to me.

3. There is a reptile show in West Palm about five minutes away from me in about three weeks so I could possibly pick up one there but I don’t know if purchasing at a reptile show is less desirable than buying from a reputable breeder, since you will already know the traits of the snake, and his health, the current feeding arrangement. I’ve never bought from a show so I’m not 100% sure I could be wrong and I’m welcome to feedback on that.

My next question is in regard to habitat.

I will be ordering another cage from Animal Plastics along with their installed radiant heat panel and thermostat. I had terrific success with that last time but I know the turnaround time could be 30 to 60 days so I wanted to set up a temporary habitat.

I have a few glass tanks here at home, but my experience with the humidity was a problem last time, even with moss and misting and everything else I just couldn’t get it right I don’t mind using a tub although I’ve never done it but I also worry about how hard it’ll be to feed in a tub trying to transition from Live to frozen? The AP will be an expensive set up when it’s all said and done so I’d rather not drop a ton on the temporary but again I want what’s best for the animal first and foremost

Any feed back is welcome and thank you in advance

NK
    As far as purchasing goes, I would buy off MorphMarket. That's how I got my Children's python. I checked the site regularly, and, when the snake I wanted was advertised, I bought it. I was comfortable with having it shipped, but it was early spring and the breeder was only 3 hours away, so I went and picked it up. On MorphMarket, there's a huge selection, their rating system conveniently helps you identify reputable breeders, and you're not under the pressure to buy that you'll face at an expo.

That said, I bought my first snake, a bp, at an expo and I was very happy with my purchase. You just need to be prepared. I knew it would be a zoo, so made a checklist of exactly what I was looking for, I checked out all the vendors in advance, I got there early, and bought the first snake to check off all my boxes.

As far as caging goes, I'd set up one of your glass tanks as your temporary enclosure. You're in South Florida now. Maintaining humidity is just a matter of opening the window.
    Last edited by Homebody; 01-06-2023 at 12:46 PM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

BlueOrleans1290 (01-06-2023),Bogertophis (01-06-2023)

Registered User BlueOrleans1290's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hello! So I actually am using a tub right now for my BRB and the humidity is a super easy problem to fix that way!! Heat mats work decently well through them and the tub itself is rather inexpensive. I also use a heat lamp about 12 inches away to raise the ambient Temps to the place it needs to be.

When I first got my ball python she would NOT eat. I got her from a reputable breeder and also had to swap her to F/T food. It didn't go very well at first. I tried everything. She did not eat for a few months if my memory is correct, BUT what did do the trick is that I fed her a live rat, and then after she took that first meal she transitioned easily to F/T. I've also seen some people scent their F/T with picky BP's. Mine would only eat her food at a certain temperature as well. She is extremely picky. I had to leave her alone for about a week longer than usual time because it took her a while to get adjusted.
    When she first arrived her heat pack had gone out during the trip and she was extremely cold by the time I got her, so if it was me I would much rather get the snake in person but that may just be my own personal preference. So, with all of those underlying problems it's no wonder why she didn't take at first, but I'm sure it will be easier with a different BP. I've personally never bought from a show either, but I'm hoping that if it is a reputable breeder that they will at least have a few tabs on the snakes that they ARE bringing to the show. So hopefully they would have the same information that they have online.
    You are what you give

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueOrleans1290 For This Useful Post:

Homebody (01-06-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    ...As far as caging goes, I'd set up one of your glass tanks as your temporary enclosure. You're in South Florida now. Maintaining humidity is just a matter of opening the window.
    Where I live it's humid too- not quite south Florida, but still... Bear in mind that the higher temperatures required by snakes (especially BPs & some others) will evaporate any local humidity you're hoping to rely on. And I hate to tell you this, but your home's HVAC already removes a lot of moisture from the air in your home, so don't rely on being in a humid state. The "help" is minimal.

Use reliable gauges to measure the humidity (& temperatures!) for at least a week before you bring home the snake (in whatever home you set up & test run for the snake) for best results. That gives you time to make changes if you need to, without disrupting (intimidating) the new snake after they've moved in.

Full disclosure, I prefer glass tanks for my snakes, but also, I don't keep BPs or any snakes needing very high humidity, so keep that in mind. (My spotted python- Antaresia- is one that needs more humidity, but for her, I use a large humid-hide & she does fine.)

I'm not saying you shouldn't use a glass tank- all I'm saying is pay close attention & make necessary alterations to retain humidity, otherwise you'll have a dehydrated BP & possibly one that's stuck in their shed, which is not fun. The main differences between glass tanks & the other enclosures that many favor is basically just the air flow that is greatly reduced- "retaining humidity"- & also that many have lower "ceilings" so there's less air that needs modifying, compared to glass tanks that normally have a screen top. (Screen tops can be covered, so air flow is greatly reduced.)

The other thing is that BPs are shy & glass tanks don't offer privacy unless you cover most of the sides, which is what we recommend doing, along with enough hides & "clutter" so they feel secure. Otherwise they may not eat or do so well. For best results with any new hatchling or neonate snake is to find out what the snake was kept in previously (most likely a small "tub") & for a while (until your snake is eating reliably), try to duplicate that so as to ease the transition. New homes are scary for snakes & fancy decor is "wasted" on them- it's not the most important thing. Meeting their temperature, humidity & privacy needs are what's key.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (01-06-2023)

Thanks
    If you're definitely planning on using a glass tank, I've been able to get my humidity to max at 80% by covering most of the screen lid with damp paper towels and on top of those a very slightly damp towel. But he careful! It is the perfect breeding ground for mold when everything is happy. Try to avoid any natural woods that aren't made to withstand high humidity without molding.
    You are what you give

Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,164 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlueOrleans1290 View Post
    Hello! So I actually am using a tub right now for my BRB and the humidity is a super easy problem to fix that way!! Heat mats work decently well through them and the tub itself is rather inexpensive. I also use a heat lamp about 12 inches away to raise the ambient Temps to the place it needs to be.
    I kept my bp in a sterilite with a UTH for a year, and I agree that, as long as your ambient temps remain above 75F, it's an inexpensive and effective option until you move your bp to its new enclosure.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

Thanks
    I know! I was just telling them about the tub option along with explaining that sometimes switching to F/T can be difficult, but not always

-ignore this post I'm sorry I read the other wrong--
    Last edited by BlueOrleans1290; 01-06-2023 at 02:42 PM.
    You are what you give