Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,127

0 members and 3,127 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

View Poll Results: Best pet lizard?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Uromastyx

0 0%
  • Bearded Dragon

1 20.00%
  • Leopard Gecko

1 20.00%
  • Blue-Tongued Skink

2 40.00%
  • Iguana

1 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Lizards?

Thanks

Best Lizards?

What's your fav lizard?
    🕷️ 🆆🅰🅽🅽🅰 🅷🆄🅽🆃 🅵🅾🆁 🅲🆁🆈🅿🆃🅸🅳🆂? 🕷️

🕷️ 🅹🆄🅼🅿🅸🅽🅶 🆂🅿🅸🅳🅴🆁 🅴🅽🆃🅷🆄🆂🅸🅰🆂🆃 🕷️

🕷️ "🆃🅷🅴 🅽🅴🆇🆃 🆃🅸🅼🅴 🆈🅾🆄 🆂🅴🅴 🅰 🆂🅿🅸🅳🅴🆁 🆆🅴🅱, 🅿🅻🅴🅰🆂🅴, 🅿🅰🆄🆂🅴 🅰🅽🅳 🅻🅾🅾🅺 🅰 🅻🅸🆃🆃🅻🅴 🅲🅻🅾🆂🅴🆁. 🆈🅾🆄'🅻🅻 🅱🅴 🆂🅴🅴🅸🅽🅶 🅾🅽🅴 🅾🅵 🆃🅷🅴 🅼🅾🆂🆃 🅷🅸🅶🅷-🅿🅴🆁🅵🅾🆁🅼🅰🅽🅲🅴 🅼🅰🆃🅴🆁🅸🅰🅻🆂 🅺🅽🅾🆆🅽 🆃🅾 🅼🅰🅽." 🕷️

🕷️ Be nice to spiders! They never did anything to hurt you! 🕷️

Thanks
    never owned one before but i have always wanted a big orangey iguana - supremely cool animal - only draw back is that they need Burm level enclosures lol but if i ever got in the lizard game this is what i would get
    het for nothing but groovy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Aspen0122 (01-09-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    I like bearded dragons for their big personality & inclination to interact with us, despite being labor-intensive pets- but I should note that of the listed species, I've only kept one other* to which I can make a good comparison. (*a leopard gecko) I very much like tiny desert night lizards as well as Tokay geckos & others- but that doesn't mean I recommend them either.

All have their own appeal as well as drawbacks, so rather than picking a pet based on what others recommend, it's really important to look inward & make sure to choose a good match for your personal "KSA's" as well as your expectations & lifestyle. The best use of a poll like this might be just to point out a creature you've never thought of before- so you can further research it.

I have no plans to add any critters here at this time- but if I "had to pick a lizard pet" to keep now, knowing what I know, it would be another c/b Tokay gecko- I don't go for size in creatures, but I do love a challenge. And besides that, they're amazing.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-06-2023 at 07:21 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Aspen0122 (01-09-2023),Homebody (01-07-2023),Malum Argenteum (01-06-2023),Spicey (01-06-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 414 Posts

Re: Best Lizards?

The "best" pet lizard generally is probably a crested gecko. Easiest care of any lizards I've kept, and among the hardest to cause permanent damage to. Interactive and easy to get along with, and cheap to feed and house.

Green iguanas are terrible pet lizards. YR is on the right track with enclosure needs, but add in some of the same sorts of handling issues I suppose some of the giant snakes have, and top it off with nutritional and UVB complications that no giant snakes have and that's an iguana. They should be an animal you have to know a guy who knows a guy to get a hold of one.

My fave lately are viper geckos. Relatively bulletproof, simple care and a lot more personality and handleability than their size lets on.

[IMG][/IMG]

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Aspen0122 (01-09-2023),Bogertophis (01-06-2023),GoingPostal (01-09-2023),Homebody (01-07-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    The "best" pet lizard generally is probably a crested gecko. Easiest care of any lizards I've kept, and among the hardest to cause permanent damage to. Interactive and easy to get along with, and cheap to feed and house.

Green iguanas are terrible pet lizards. YR is on the right track with enclosure needs, but add in some of the same sorts of handling issues I suppose some of the giant snakes have, and top it off with nutritional and UVB complications that no giant snakes have and that's an iguana. They should be an animal you have to know a guy who knows a guy to get a hold of one.

My fave lately are viper geckos. Relatively bulletproof, simple care and a lot more personality and handleability than their size lets on.

[IMG][/IMG]
    not to derail but it would depend on the giant! (and one’s definition of what constitutes a “giant”) eg: elephant trunk snakes could be in the “giant” category by virtue of females reaching 7+ feet and are insanely difficult to keep in captivity on all levels (husbandry, prey sourcing, etc) but otherwise yes
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 01-07-2023 at 07:16 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Aspen0122 (01-09-2023),Malum Argenteum (01-07-2023)

Thanks
    Don't forget that we're all individuals too- and most of us, regardless of experience, will take the best care of whatever creature appeals most to us- we'll be more motivated to learn about them, prepare the right accommodations for them, & then be committed to keeping up with their needs.

The most important thing is to do your research, well before you bring any pet home- resist buying any animal on impulse -those acquisitions often do not end well. Never just take the seller's word for what they need, whether it's a private seller or a pet store- listen, but then check multiple sources. All animals do better when we're actually ready for them, & when we're sure that we can afford their care long-term.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Animallover3541 (01-09-2023),Aspen0122 (01-09-2023),Homebody (01-09-2023),YungRasputin (01-09-2023)

Thanks
    to what Bogs said i feel the only real “dodgy” (not bad) lizard choice here imo would be crocodile monitor only insomuch as it’s big and potentially, real dangerous but ultimately it depends on the keeper - not everybody is going to be operating on the same level of others and that’s totally ok - i know i reference arachnids a lot but i legit know some keepers who have been in arachnid keeping for multiple decades who only and exclusively work with “beginner tier” species like the Brachypelma genus just the same as there are other arachnid keepers, such as myself, who exclusively worked with “expert tier” species like the Hottentotta genus - that’s ultimately what makes the hobby so cool is that everyone has a place in this respect

so i think the answer would vary and is like Bogs said “the best choice is what’s best for you individually” - for most people, lizards like beardies would be the best for other people who are more involved maybe it is iguana or water monitor

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by YungRasputin View Post
    to what Bogs said i feel the only real “dodgy” (not bad) lizard choice here imo would be crocodile monitor only insomuch as it’s big and potentially, real dangerous but ultimately it depends on the keeper - not everybody is going to be operating on the same level of others and that’s totally ok - i know i reference arachnids a lot but i legit know some keepers who have been in arachnid keeping for multiple decades who only and exclusively work with “beginner tier” species like the Brachypelma genus just the same as there are other arachnid keepers, such as myself, who exclusively worked with “expert tier” species like the Hottentotta genus - that’s ultimately what makes the hobby so cool is that everyone has a place in this respect

so i think the answer would vary and is like Bogs said “the best choice is what’s best for you individually” - for most people, lizards like beardies would be the best for other people who are more involved maybe it is iguana or water monitor
    I hate to say this, but those green iguanas can hurt you too, & they get quite large (if they're properly kept so they live long enough). They've got claws & can bite, but bear in mind they can also whip their tail & have been known to cut people's flesh right down to the bone with it. Just saying. The male iguanas have been known to react badly & territorially to adult women also- it's weird but it happens.

I'm not really familiar with crocodile monitors, but from what I've heard (or read) from monitor keepers, most monitors are a challenge anyway- & the bigger they get, the truer that is. One thing many people may not think about is that monitors DIG. I mean, there's just many different ways that animals can be "challenging", lol.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-09-2023 at 11:39 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Animallover3541 (01-10-2023),Homebody (01-10-2023),Spicey (01-10-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I hate to say this, but those green iguanas can hurt you too, & they get quite large (if they're properly kept so they live long enough). They've got claws & can bite, but bear in mind they can also whip their tail & have been known to cut people's flesh right down to the bone with it. Just saying. The male iguanas have been known to react badly & territorially to adult women also- it's weird but it happens.

I'm not really familiar with crocodile monitors, but from what I've heard (or read) from monitor keepers, most monitors are a challenge anyway- & the bigger they get, the truer that is. One thing many people may not think about is that monitors DIG. I mean, there's just many different ways that animals can be "challenging", lol.
    re: crocodile monitors - they are comparable to water monitors except they more reliable reach 8+ feet in length, and also, have bigger teeth and claws which are super duper sharp (eg: see Crutchfield’s injuries pertaining to his crocs) - my point was mainly just that yes iguanas and the like are probably not suited *for most* lizard keepers just the same as mainland Burms, Afrocks, mainland Retics, green/yellow anacondas, and other “giants” are probably not suitable *for most* snake keepers - i would say that it takes a huge level of commitment that people should be ready to make when getting into keeping those sorts of animals much the same as you would say, farm animals (eg: most pet owners don’t have the experience or means to keep cows - cow attacks outrank both large snake, large lizard, and dog attacks - 75% of those cow attacks being from cows with past aggressive behaviors [CDC])

reference: per year in the US there are 0.43 large snake fatalities (10 fatalities in the last 30 years), 5 venomous snake fatalities, 16 dog fatalities and 22 cow fatalities
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 01-10-2023 at 06:45 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-10-2023)

Thanks
    crocodile monitors are probably from what i know the closest you can get to legally owning a Komodo dragon in the states lol so probably not the average species for your everyday lizard wrangler lol but still!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast