Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,053

0 members and 3,053 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Jingle Jangle Jingle

*Liver King voice* i said i wasn’t gonna touch the stuff, haven’t touched the stuff, won’t touch the stuff - i lied

hehe but yes, introducing my pair of Great Basin locality gophers - Pituophis catenifer deserticola, normal/wild type captive male (“Courier”) and captive female (“Red Lucy”) - i was only able to get pix of Red Lucy because the male slithered right into his den and started playing in the substrate lol but I’ll take some of him later on

“Red Lucy”:

het for nothing but groovy

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Aspen0122 (01-06-2023),Bogertophis (01-05-2023),Homebody (01-05-2023)

Thanks
    (also in case mods are wondering - the thread title, snake names, etc are all Fallout: New Vegas references because the Great Basin territory is actually part of the game)

also got to hear there little “rattles” while housing them which sounded like little bumble bees and was über kawaii 🥰

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Wonderful additions- I love gopher snakes, also bull snakes- have bred & kept both in the past. And we need more "variety" around here too.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

YungRasputin (01-05-2023)

Thanks

Re: Jingle Jangle Jingle

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Wonderful additions- I love gopher snakes, also bull snakes- have bred & kept both in the past. And we need more "variety" around here too.
    it’s really a funny turn of events as it’s totally a “i could’ve easily passed on something i’m now totally obsessed with” sort of situation because i had seen them before but didn’t know anything about them and assumed they were more in the corn snake, garter snake, etc category

then after i got my whole operation planned out i realized i had 2 spots available so i started researching and surfing and just so happened to find Clint from Clint’s Reptiles video on them and was like woah wait a second

then i saw they were classified as a “large constrictor” which would bring them into my focus (my biz focus is “large constrictors”) THEN i found out they were like the perfect (but harmless) copies of prairie rattlesnakes and was completely sold - originally was going to get this cool San Diego locality pair but then saw the Great Basins and it was a done deal

absolutely obsessed with gophers and absolutely might be something i explore deeper as i go along my breeding journey
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 01-05-2023 at 07:08 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Homebody (01-05-2023)

Thanks
    another cool thing is: with the addition of this pair that means i have a species of large constrictor snake from every continent but Europe and Antarctica - which was a big personal achievement when i did this with arachnids and got all the continents but Antarctica so it’s cool that i’m nearly there with my snake crew too

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-05-2023),Homebody (01-05-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by YungRasputin View Post
    another cool thing is: with the addition of this pair that means i have a species of large constrictor snake from every continent but Europe and Antarctica - which was a big personal achievement when i did this with arachnids and got all the continents but Antarctica so it’s cool that i’m nearly there with my snake crew too
    I don't think there ARE any in Antarctica, so you probably shouldn't count that one. I have a suggestion for a European candidate-one I used to want myself, years back, after seeing them in a book.

Elaphe quatuorlineata (common names: four-lined snake, Bulgarian ratsnake) is a member of the family Colubridae. The four-lined snake is a non-venomous species and one of the largest of the European snakes.

Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-05-2023 at 07:45 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (01-05-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I don't think there ARE any in Antarctica, so you probably shouldn't count that one. I have a suggestion for a European candidate-one I used to want myself, years back, after seeing them in a book.

Elaphe quatuorlineata (common names: four-lined snake, Bulgarian ratsnake) is a member of the family Colubridae. The four-lined snake is a non-venomous species and one of the largest of the European snakes.

i mean that’s true but who knows maybe there’s giant ice pythons in the unexplored parts

but those also seem super cool! so far the only Euro species i have seen available is from the Natrix genus but i’ll def keep those in mind also! is also funny that you say this because i thought it would be cool to try to find the largest constrictor species in Germany as kind of a nod to the homelands which i think is Elaphe longissima so same genus that i was thinking! lol
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 01-05-2023 at 08:05 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Homebody (01-05-2023)

Thanks

...but those also seem super cool! so far the only Euro species i have seen available is from the Natrix genus but i’ll def keep those in mind also! is also funny that you say this because i thought it would be cool to try to find the largest constrictor species in Germany as kind of a nod to the homelands which i think is Elaphe longissima so same genus that i was thinking! lol
    To me, these seem like a blend of American bull snakes & yellow rat snakes- they have a substantial build, & look intimidating (well, not to me...to me they look cuddly) but supposedly they're fairly mellow. Anyway, I always thought they looked cool, but the downside is they might be hard to find, especially c/b ones, & in the U.S.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

YungRasputin (01-06-2023)

Thanks

So cyooooot <3
    🕷️ 🆆🅰🅽🅽🅰 🅷🆄🅽🆃 🅵🅾🆁 🅲🆁🆈🅿🆃🅸🅳🆂? 🕷️

🕷️ 🅹🆄🅼🅿🅸🅽🅶 🆂🅿🅸🅳🅴🆁 🅴🅽🆃🅷🆄🆂🅸🅰🆂🆃 🕷️

🕷️ "🆃🅷🅴 🅽🅴🆇🆃 🆃🅸🅼🅴 🆈🅾🆄 🆂🅴🅴 🅰 🆂🅿🅸🅳🅴🆁 🆆🅴🅱, 🅿🅻🅴🅰🆂🅴, 🅿🅰🆄🆂🅴 🅰🅽🅳 🅻🅾🅾🅺 🅰 🅻🅸🆃🆃🅻🅴 🅲🅻🅾🆂🅴🆁. 🆈🅾🆄'🅻🅻 🅱🅴 🆂🅴🅴🅸🅽🅶 🅾🅽🅴 🅾🅵 🆃🅷🅴 🅼🅾🆂🆃 🅷🅸🅶🅷-🅿🅴🆁🅵🅾🆁🅼🅰🅽🅲🅴 🅼🅰🆃🅴🆁🅸🅰🅻🆂 🅺🅽🅾🆆🅽 🆃🅾 🅼🅰🅽." 🕷️

🕷️ Be nice to spiders! They never did anything to hurt you! 🕷️

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Aspen0122 For This Useful Post:

YungRasputin (01-06-2023)