Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,863

2 members and 2,861 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

In case the apartment python doesn't work out...

Any tips for keeping a bearded dragon or uromastyx in the future?

Also, I know an ornate uromastyx is different in color, but are there any differences in care from a more common uromastyx such as a mali?
    Last edited by Aspen0122; 01-04-2023 at 11:14 AM.
    🕷️ 🆆🅰🅽🅽🅰 🅷🆄🅽🆃 🅵🅾🆁 🅲🆁🆈🅿🆃🅸🅳🆂? 🕷️

🕷️ 🅹🆄🅼🅿🅸🅽🅶 🆂🅿🅸🅳🅴🆁 🅴🅽🆃🅷🆄🆂🅸🅰🆂🆃 🕷️

🕷️ "🆃🅷🅴 🅽🅴🆇🆃 🆃🅸🅼🅴 🆈🅾🆄 🆂🅴🅴 🅰 🆂🅿🅸🅳🅴🆁 🆆🅴🅱, 🅿🅻🅴🅰🆂🅴, 🅿🅰🆄🆂🅴 🅰🅽🅳 🅻🅾🅾🅺 🅰 🅻🅸🆃🆃🅻🅴 🅲🅻🅾🆂🅴🆁. 🆈🅾🆄'🅻🅻 🅱🅴 🆂🅴🅴🅸🅽🅶 🅾🅽🅴 🅾🅵 🆃🅷🅴 🅼🅾🆂🆃 🅷🅸🅶🅷-🅿🅴🆁🅵🅾🆁🅼🅰🅽🅲🅴 🅼🅰🆃🅴🆁🅸🅰🅻🆂 🅺🅽🅾🆆🅽 🆃🅾 🅼🅰🅽." 🕷️

🕷️ Be nice to spiders! They never did anything to hurt you! 🕷️

Registered User BlueOrleans1290's Avatar
    Thanks
    I don't personally keep bearded dragons, but from what I do know is that some of them like attention and being held (especially on the shoulder!) And they are extremely smart and need good enrichment! So maybe try getting them some toys directed specifically towards beardies. They do need exercise so if that's you letting them run around for a bit or even taking them on a little stroll when temperatures are okay then that would be nice!! Apartments are usually a smaller space, so it may be easier to keep an eye on them but just make sure there aren't any holes where they can get stuck and you can't reach them. Again, I don't keep them and I certainly don't know for 100% I've just seen that that is something in general that is done with them. (If you already know this, my apologies!)
    You are what you give

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueOrleans1290 For This Useful Post:

Aspen0122 (01-04-2023),Homebody (01-04-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,793 Times in 11,827 Posts
    I have no info on uromastyx, but I had a bearded dragon many years back- it wasn't planned, he was sick & about to be dumped outside if I didn't take him. Anyway, I got him well (he'd been fed all wrong & kept all wrong) & I had him for a while before rehoming him to a young man that didn't have a house full of snakes already as I did then, lol.

The beardie I had was half-grown when I got him- as he got well & recovered, he grew quite a bit, but he was always friendly- cuddly! He loved to snuggle on my shoulder, & he never bit me-he was quite charming- but be warned these are HIGH MAINTENANCE pets- due to the size of enclosure for activity needed + high heat for basking, also natural sunlight for bone health (or use of expensive lights indoors- this is not optional, it's a must), also due to their daily dietary complexity (lots of variety- they need a "salad", not just insects), & due to their social nature. If you have the time, space & money to devote, I think you'll like a bearded dragon- but if you have many other commitments, I wouldn't add this one. This is a daily-care pet.

Read up on these from good sources first. These are alert lizards for those who enjoy interacting, but sometimes you need to do their thinking for them to keep them out of trouble (like little kids): for example, mine would try to eat small pebbles from the ground if allowed to exercise (supervised closely) outside, & when I held him, he tried to eat the buttons on my shirt at least once- while it was funny, he could have needed expensive vet help or died if he had swallowed either of those. They sell harnesses made for these to walk them outside, btw. I don't think you'll need to track your mileage though.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Aspen0122 (01-04-2023),BlueOrleans1290 (01-04-2023),Homebody (01-04-2023),Spicey (01-04-2023)