Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,060

2 members and 3,058 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

View Poll Results: Do you think this idea is theoritically possible and realistic?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, all hail snakebites.

6 100.00%
  • No, you utter maniac.

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Insane dream idea: would it be possible?

I have just woken up from an insane lucid dream where I have spoken to my ball python, Noodle. Quite an interesting conversation, but that's not the point of this post. During the dream, I had an idea, and I'd thought I'd ask the ball python experts on this site as to whether they think such a thing would be possible.

So, at the moment, ball python food consists of mice, rats, gerbils, etc. A problem with this food that some people have is that if the snake does not eat, another life has been taken for no reason (providing you do not refreeze, which I do not). Another issue is that it can be a pain the arse depending on your situation (you can blow it up by heating it a bit too much, etc). It's fine for how it is, but I wondered if it could be made better...

What happens if we just had a block? A very small block, or maybe something in the shape of a mouse. How many of you think it would be possible that, if we had scientists on board, we could create some kind of food item that can be grown in a lab, filled with all the nutrients, vitamins, etc. that would come in your typical rat. You could have different amounts of nutrients etc. to represent different stages of rat (pup, jumbo, etc.). Of course, in this hypothetical, it is all ethical and the snakes enjoy it (or at least show no signs of discomfort). How many of you think this is theoritically possible and realistic?

Now, this is just a random idea with its own heap of ethical issues e.g. How do you test it without harming any snakes? However, this is not what this post concerns. This post merely seeks to ask how many of you think this idea is insane and would not work, and how many of you think it could, one day, be possible.

(This is what happens when you lucid dream).
    Last edited by xAnthemia; 01-03-2023 at 10:36 PM. Reason: include realistic clause

2. The Following User Says Thank You to xAnthemia For This Useful Post:

Aspen0122 (01-04-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,152 Times in 1,164 Posts

Re: Insane dream idea: would it be possible?

Quote Originally Posted by xAnthemia View Post
    What happens if we just had a block? A very small block, or maybe something in the shape of a mouse. How many of you think it would be possible that, if we had scientists on board, we could create some kind of food item that can be grown in a lab, filled with all the nutrients, vitamins, etc. that would come in your typical rat. You could have different amounts of nutrients etc. to represent different stages of rat (pup, jumbo, etc.). Of course, in this hypothetical, it is all ethical and the snakes enjoy it (or at least show no signs of discomfort). How many of you think this is theoritically possible and realistic?
    Well, if you make it in the shape of a sausage, not only is it possible, it's already been done. They're called Reptilinks and I just started feeding them to my Children's python. They're not recommended for BPs because BPs are so finicky, but, maybe if you played with the formula, you could come up with something they'll eat.
    Last edited by Homebody; 01-03-2023 at 11:25 PM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (01-04-2023),Aspen0122 (01-04-2023),xAnthemia (01-03-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    You probably know that for some years now there have been "sausages" made for snakes, consisting of various blended prey items, to replace whole prey. Some snakes will accept them, many won't, or may accept them only after being scented with what they're used to eating. Snakes have a great sense of smell & they're hard to fool.

Now just recently in the news I saw an article that artificial "meat" for humans (with no animals used whatsoever) is now being made experimentally in a laboratory for human consumption- it's not on the market yet. But considering how much water, air, & land use this would save, not to mention that animals would no longer be slaughtered for food, it's probably a coming "thing" in our world.

So sure, why not? In the not too distant future, maybe we won't be using real rodents (etc) any more, except for scenting the "snausages"? (& rodents can stay alive for that).
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (01-04-2023),Aspen0122 (01-04-2023),BlueOrleans1290 (01-03-2023),Homebody (01-04-2023),xAnthemia (01-03-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    They're called Reptilinks and I just started feeding them to my Children's python.
    So Noodle knows of Reptilnks... how odd.
    Last edited by xAnthemia; 01-03-2023 at 11:34 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xAnthemia For This Useful Post:

Aspen0122 (01-04-2023),BlueOrleans1290 (01-03-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    In the not too distant future, maybe we won't be using real rodents (etc) any more, except for scenting the "snausages"? (& rodents can stay alive for that).
    Perhaps the snausages could be formulated such that the scent comes naturally. This way, Noodle might be convinced to release his prisoners of war and I won't have to deal with the upholders of the geneva convention anymore.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    By the way, I used the term "snausages" as an obvious blend of "snake-sausages", but NOT to be confused with the doggy treats first known as "Snausages"- do not give those to snakes!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

BlueOrleans1290 (01-04-2023),D-.No (01-04-2023),Malum Argenteum (01-04-2023),xAnthemia (01-04-2023)

Registered User BlueOrleans1290's Avatar
    Thanks

If you could theoretically find a way to still make them appealing to snakes then I'm sure that would be a great idea! Maybe something more universally targeted instead of the sausage links? I wonder if there would be some way to make them jiggly so they'd still think it was alive. Or maybe you could pull an Ohio banana where they genetically modified it to move on its own. Still a banana though. Interesting thoughts
    You are what you give

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlueOrleans1290 View Post
    Or maybe you could pull an Ohio banana where they genetically modified it to move on its own.
    A moving banana — the pinnacle of human achievement. What feeling does it bestow upon thee? The complexity of the case, spurred on by centuries of research. Men and women have died in the quest for divinity. Now, humanity shall play God. Words can not describe the emotions of the process, and yet! All of the romantic languages are defeated by the image... that of a wiggly fruit. Is it possible that, if the human race is wiped, our legacy to future civiliations will be written as "made wiggling fruits"?

In conclusion, I need sleep.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xAnthemia For This Useful Post:

BlueOrleans1290 (01-04-2023),Homebody (01-04-2023)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 827 Posts
    There's actually a recent video where they tried this out over at Brian B's Reptarium. I guess some of them are frog scented and there may actually be rodent scented ones snakes will eat? None of his snakes wanted the frog ones tho...
    His lizards went crazy for them though.

https://youtu.be/7p_lV7oq5us

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-04-2023),Homebody (01-04-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,152 Times in 1,164 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xAnthemia View Post
    A moving banana — the pinnacle of human achievement. What feeling does it bestow upon thee? The complexity of the case, spurred on by centuries of research. Men and women have died in the quest for divinity. Now, humanity shall play God. Words can not describe the emotions of the process, and yet! All of the romantic languages are defeated by the image... that of a wiggly fruit. Is it possible that, if the human race is wiped, our legacy to future civiliations will be written as "made wiggling fruits"?

In conclusion, I need sleep.

I want to change my vote. While I still believe it's possible, I am even more convinced that xAnthemia is an utter maniac.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast