Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,673

1 members and 2,672 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered User BlueOrleans1290's Avatar
    Thanks

Help! I got a brazillian rainbow boa for my birthday

Hello all! Long time no see. I got a Brazillian Rainbow Boa for my birthday 2 days ago and I'm trying to find out everything I can to take care of him. I still have things coming in. He was in shed from the store but he got all of it off except a tiny bit on his head. He's extremely friendly and doesn't even offer to strike. He is about 4 months old. The pet store wouldn't give me much information and honestly they didn't take the best care of him. I know it was early but I picked him up today because he was so friendly and I wanted to check to see if there was any stuck shed and I noticed a slight popping noice when he breathed but his tongue flicks are staying apart, and when he yawns (which is a lot) there are no bubbles in the back of his throat. His humidity is high enough I believe, he usually has a little bit of humidity on the side of his tank when I look, and his Temps are from 75-85 where he usually chills its 77. Also when I picked him up out of the random after a bit he made a squeaking noise and almost did a very fast yawn kind of like a roar when put together? Any tips would be great. Anyone think he might have a RI?
    Last edited by BlueOrleans1290; 01-01-2023 at 12:28 PM.
    You are what you give

Thanks

Re: Help! I got a brazillian rainbow boa for my birthday

But when I asked the pet store, they didn't know what temperature they kept him at nor did they know what humidity. Any chance that fast switch to higher humidity could have done it? And how do I fix it?
    You are what you give

Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 414 Posts
    With all due respect, if the snake could be returned to the shop for a refund, that would be my first option. A pretty young BRB in less than great shape, without all the equipment and info necessary to care for it, isn't a good situation. No offense intended in this recommendation, just concern for the snake.

I'm a bit green with BRBs (raised a couple up starting about seven years ago, one great litter bred and raised and another on the way, and a new younger animal in the pipeline as a future breeder), but I keep my neonates on moist substrate at pretty much 100% RH for almost a year. This pretty standard practice with neonates.

No handling until it has at least a few good feedings under its belt is the best policy.

I do hope the snake is being QTed in a separate room from your others, and you work on it last for the day so to not transfer pathogens to your current animals.

And this isn't meant to be anything but helpful either, but any shop that is selling animals that they aren't taking the best care of would be best avoided entirely. Based on your comments, I think that store shouldn't be selling animals, but they will so long as people buy them. There are a lot of negative changes caused by the increased prevalence of online vendors of animals and supplies, but one bright side is that anything and everything a keeper needs can be shipped to their door. Again, this is not a jab or anything, just an observation and suggestion.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-01-2023),Homebody (01-01-2023),nikkubus (05-18-2023),Ruby (05-19-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    I don't keep BRB's so I'll mostly let others with experience respond here, but I do know these require HIGH humidity- more than BPs, & not sure on temps. off-hand.

They are NOT easy snakes to keep & it does sound like yours has a possible RI- or else stuck shed in/around the nostrils.

Sudden acquisitions of exotic snakes are a bad idea (a gift certificate would have been the way to go), because your success & their health has a better chance if their home is already set up & dialed in. So here's hoping you do okay with this little beauty.

Remember it's best NOT to handle any new snake until they're eating for you (several times) & fully settled in. Don't judge them as "friendly" just because they don't mind handling- that's more likely because they're not healthy, I'm sorry to say. Healthy snakes usually have a little feistiness (self-defense). This one has likely been over-handled in a pet-store, just my hunch- but that's what they do when trying to make a sale, & you already know they don't really know much about these in terms of husbandry, so that's a bad sign.

And DO LOOK FOR MITES, & keep looking. And nice to see you around here again, btw.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (01-01-2023),nikkubus (05-18-2023)

Thanks
    Thank you both. While it was a really fast decision I've been checking and he did already eat once. I'm definitely going to refrain from handling him for another few feedings, but I'd rather take a chance on him and maybe get him healthy than to send him back to that store. I have his humidity up pretty high and i know they are difficult snakes and in no way would I ever want to cause harm to another snake. At this point I'm doing everything I can, but I don't want to send him back to the store because I feel like that would be more of a death sentence than he already has. I've been observing him and he doesn't seem to be stargazing. I just want to do the best by him but i feel like sending him back to the store wouldn't be it. If there is any chance I can help him be healthy I'm willing to take it. He does like exploring around his cage and getting into his water bowl, which is more room than he had at the store. I'm not ignoring any advice either. I hope you don't take that as me doing such. The only equipment I'm missing is a hygrometer which isn't needed that much as long as I can tell that he has enough humidity, and I think the only other thing coming might be a branch for him. But I'm doing all the research I can
    You are what you give

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueOrleans1290 For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (01-01-2023)

Thanks

I'm doing with what I can. It wasn't my top choice either but IF I can help I really want to.
    You are what you give

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueOrleans1290 For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (01-01-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlueOrleans1290 View Post
    I'm doing with what I can. It wasn't my top choice either but IF I can help I really want to.
    Well good luck- & I think you'll need it, but I hope not. And
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I keep and have bred BRB's.

First, relax. As long as you're not seeing drool, bubbles, mucous, etc. and it's feeding then the snake is likely fine. I also hear mine breathing more when being handled than I hear my ball pythons, probably because they're more active so they exert themselves more.

Second, husbandry is vital with these guys, more so even than ball pythons. Youngsters need to be kept at 90% or higher humidity. That's pretty easy to do with a tub, a UTH on a thermostat, and an inch of damp cypress mulch substrate.

Third, much has been made over the 85*F temp as being the top end for them. Bear in mind that is for the ambient temp, not the basking spot. You can run the basking spot a degree or so higher as long as the snake is able to move off the heat. You may also find that your BRB rests just its midsection on the heat while digesting.

Finally, pound for pound these snakes are very strong and since they are semi-arboreal they can be "grabby". So, don't ever let one on the front of your neck even if it's a "small" snake compared to something like a burm or retic.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-01-2023),Homebody (01-01-2023),Malum Argenteum (01-01-2023)

Thanks
    That's very helpful! Thank you. I'll probably move him to a tub then I'll get one tomorrow. Any more advice on that setup? I really want to see him succeed. And his ambient Temps should be 85? Until how long? When should I move him from the tub and lower the Temps a little (as in age)
    I also have a lot of sphagnum moss! Is that okay? Or is the other moss preffered
    -also, he eats and every time he goes to push the food down further he takes a big yawn. Is this normal? My Kenyan sand boa doesn't do this. I know they're different but I spare no questions lol. And he constantly tongue flicks. Maybe getting used to the new place still.
    Last edited by BlueOrleans1290; 01-01-2023 at 01:50 PM.
    You are what you give

Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 414 Posts
    The 85F ambient is the maximum ambient temp, not the temp you want to target.

"Yawning" after eating is pretty normal, with a range of snake species. The fact that yours has fed already after two days is a good sign that it is pretty comfortable (not that I would have fed already, probably).

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-01-2023),Homebody (01-01-2023)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast