Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,455

0 members and 1,455 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

My baby ball died yesterday. I need help please

My Nugget died yesterday after her last visit to the vet she passed away in her enclosure. While all the testing only showed nothing but typical oral bacteria in her lungs which was resistant to everything. I actually wish it was due to husbandry mistakes but it remained looking like Nidovirus.
    I tried everything I could possibly could and beyond how I rushed the use of the Bioactive unknowingly, that was not what caused this.

I have a question that is hard to ask but I need to know. Is there anything I can do to make my house safe for any snake after this ? Do I need to toss all the stuff? Tanks and everything or can the f10 clean non porous stuff and toss anything like cork and wood?

Nugget was my first and beyond the excruciating loss and so much financial loss I loved having her so much and would like to have a chance at a healthy baby. I hate to think this could be over forever for me.
    Last edited by ecoles5; 12-30-2022 at 03:10 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ecoles5 For This Useful Post:

Aspen0122 (01-04-2023),Bogertophis (12-30-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,180 Posts

Re: My baby ball died yesterday. I need help please

Quote Originally Posted by ecoles5 View Post
    Nugget was my first and beyond the excruciating loss and so much financial loss I loved having her so much and would like to have a chance at a healthy baby. I hate to think this could be over forever for me.
    I lost my BP last year and when I revisit the old threads about him I feel the pain anew. So, I understand and sympathize with your loss. It's natural to take time to mourn. When the pain fades, go someplace where you can encounter these wonderful creatures (e.g. shop, expo, zoo), and I'm confident your desire to keep them will be renewed.
    Last edited by Homebody; 12-30-2022 at 03:32 PM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-30-2022),ecoles5 (12-30-2022),YungRasputin (12-31-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ecoles5 View Post
    My Nugget died yesterday after her last visit to the vet she passed away in her enclosure. While all the testing only showed nothing but typical oral bacteria in her lungs which was resistant to everything. I actually wish it was due to husbandry mistakes but it remained looking like Nidovirus.
    I tried everything I could possibly could and beyond how I rushed the use of the Bioactive unknowingly, that was not what caused this.

I have a question that is hard to ask but I need to know. Is there anything I can do to make my house safe for any snake after this ? Do I need to toss all the stuff? Tanks and everything or can the f10 clean non porous stuff and toss anything like cork and wood?

I'm so very sorry for your heart-breaking loss- from your previous posts, I had a feeling- a bad feeling- about where this was heading, but you never know for sure.

So this wasn't actually proven by the vet to be Nido? I don't think bioactive had much to do with this. I suspect you came home with an already-at-risk-&-most-likely-sick snake- you got off to a very unfortunate beginning with snakes. If it's any consolation, the second snake I ever got (not long after the first but from a pet store) was sick & I (& the vet) were unable to save her. But here I am, with decades of many snakes in my life since then, so no, it's not "over" unless you want it to be. It wasn't your fault- even though you made some mistakes & could have done things better, it's unlikely you could have changed the outcome. Some things are just very hard or impossible to treat- & this snake was already weak- & really was not ideal for a new snake-keeper either.

But yes, you have a lot of cleaning to do, & I'd wait a while too. Toss out anything porous like cork & wood- sorry, it's just not safe to clean & re-use them.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-30-2022 at 05:21 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ecoles5 (12-30-2022),Homebody (12-30-2022),Malum Argenteum (12-30-2022)

Thanks

I don’t really know how to use the quote feature well. But thank you. Vet said in truth there are many viruses and diseases that they know nothing about yet. Seemed textbook nidovirus virus

I have not really been in my bedroom really. Don’t really want to sleep there.between Covid and not wanting to stare at her tank.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ecoles5 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-30-2022),Homebody (12-30-2022)

Thanks
    When you love & keep animals, sooner or later we're stuck with the pain of their loss. It's so unfair when it happens so soon, when they're young & just getting started at life, but even though it hurts to lose them, I have to think our own lives are richer for having known them- and I guess that's why I keep going, letting so many animals into my life with their charm & all they've had to teach me along the way.

You could also say that dealing with the loss of a pet can help us prepare for the pain of losing special people in our life also- there's just no way to get thru life without facing such losses. You did the best you could, & you sought veterinary help pretty quickly- I just wish there had been a way to help her recover from this. I'm very sorry for your loss. And your vet is correct- pathogens keep evolving (changing), resisting medicines & making them ineffective- ones that may have helped previously, & no doubt there's some they've never seen or dealt with at all. We all do the very best we can- sometimes, sadly, it's just not enough.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ecoles5 (12-31-2022),Homebody (12-30-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 418 Posts
    I read through your posts, and it looks like you didn't do anything wrong, and did many things right. It does sound like either one of the known viruses that simply didn't show on the testing (false negatives for nido even on symptomatic animals are quite common), or possibly one we don't yet know about. I'm really sorry this happened.

Just my two cents: I don't think "bioactive" enclosures are the right idea for BPs (I have over a dozen "bioactive" enclosures at home, but only for species that actually need them). I also think expos have a lot of shortcomings as a good source for a first snake (and I do sell at expos, so I'm not biased). Just food for thought going forward.

"I have a question that is hard to ask but I need to know. Is there anything I can do to make my house safe for any snake after this ? Do I need to toss all the stuff? Tanks and everything or can the f10 clean non porous stuff and toss anything like cork and wood? "

I know a lot of people don't reuse porous materials after a situation like this, and that's most prudent. I will point out that all the interesting snake viruses are very susceptable to heat (15min at 65C inactivates enveloped viruses, which nidovirus, arenavirus, paramyxovirus and Sunshine virus are), and this might be recommended as a reliable disinfection technique for porous materials (via boiling or baking). Of course as noted, discarding those materials (double bagged) is the most reliable option.

On nonporous surfaces, a solution of 1 part Chlorox regular disinfecting bleach and 19 parts water will inactivate those pathogens at a 10 minute contact time. A solution of 70% ethanol will do the same with that same 10 min contact time.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-30-2022),ecoles5 (01-04-2023),Homebody (12-30-2022)

Thanks
    For anyone wondering, 65* C is roughly 150* F (actually 149* F, but 150* is easier to remember)

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ecoles5 (01-04-2023),Homebody (12-30-2022),Malum Argenteum (12-31-2022)

Thanks

I don’t think I would do Bioactive again, I don’t think that was the thing Nugget enjoyed as much as climbing was something she loved and did that up until the the end. I have to cut out the background and if nothing else I want to be able to clean as deeply as possible.

I don’t have any intention on keeping anything at all that is wood or cork I plan on throwing out the bags of bedding because I had my hands in them. I don’t even know what to do with the mouse I have because she was in her tank so she could be infected and that can’t just be handled off to another snake

I would love some idea of what to do with the mouse. I just really thought of that. Having Covid in the middle of this really slowed me up with all this.

I would like to say that this forum has changed my mind about posting. I have been a member of a few and I rarely post because your likely to be told your didn’t do your research as if being on the boards there doesn’t show you are.

I read so much here and it all helps so much. Thank you all

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ecoles5 For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (12-31-2022),Bogertophis (12-31-2022)

Thanks
    I agree, an installed background is something that traps germs- & should always be avoided with a new snake in quarantine (for future reference)- not only germs but mites can hide there too.

Malum Argenteum provided great details above for cleaning. I would toss anything porous also, as you said. The mouse should be euthanized & discarded- not his lucky day, no matter what.

I appreciate your positive feedback & as well as contributions to this forum- (just because you're asking for help doesn't mean you're not educating others at the same time, by sharing your issue.)
    We are all here to help others & we're all here to keep learning ourselves, thru these discussions. I've been on other forums too that got out of control- that's not helping anyone at all.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ecoles5 (01-01-2023),Homebody (12-31-2022)

Thanks

I'm so sorry for your loss, it sounds like you went above and beyond for the little guy.

As for the mouse, if it might be comforting to take care of them I'd say keep them around and get them a little habitat, but if it would just add stress during a difficult time maybe someone else would take them in from craigslist or something?

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to plateOfFlan For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-31-2022),ecoles5 (01-04-2023),Homebody (12-31-2022),Spicey (12-31-2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast